SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#500205 - 08/13/20 07:08 PM SX 900 Being Repaired
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
My fairly new SX-900 is at a local Yamaha Dealer/Repair shop. On another forum, a few members have (had) a noisy "clacking" sound complaint from their black keys. The 'fix' is to apply a special keyboard grease made by Yamaha. Evidently a certain early batch of SX-900's may have had this lack of grease problem. Yamaha, at first seemed to balk at my complaint, and wouldn't fully acknowledge my problem, but perhaps after a few other complaints, has agreed to cover the cost of repair. (It's only 7 months old) I'm sure they want to avoid a recall.

I would have never guessed lack of grease would be a problem in a new keyboard, in fact, I never knew grease was used at all. Upon doing some Internet research, I found out that indeed grease is used to quiet keys on almost all keyboards of all brands.

The shop is waiting for this special grease shipment from Yamaha, and if interested, I'll keep you all updated on the repair results.
(Hopefully not too long, I'm missing this keyboard)

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

ā™« šŸŽ¹šŸŽ¹ ā™« SX-900

#500207 - 08/13/20 07:17 PM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
Happy Birthday montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sorry to hear this Larry! Are the charging for the repair or is it under warranty?

Iā€™ d totally hate being without a keyboard! I hope you get quick service, and good results. Best of luck, and keep us posted

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#500209 - 08/13/20 07:25 PM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Paul, Yes, Yamaha has agreed to pay the dealer for the repair. I've had it for only 6-7 months of a one year warranty.

I have all the luck frown

You're right, I'm having keyboard withdrawal

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

ā™« šŸŽ¹šŸŽ¹ ā™« SX-900

#500224 - 08/14/20 01:35 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Selfishly speaking,I hope the problem becomes apparent right away,and not something that slowly evolves. I don't want to find out mine has run out of grease after the warranty runs out.

Bernie

#500226 - 08/14/20 01:46 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
Kabinopus Online   content

Loc: Russia
My PSR-S950 became noisy after about 4 years of playing, so I asked a repairman to refill this grease. I had learnt about the grease long ago when I had this issue with another keyboard but never got around to do something about that. The repairman fixed the problem, but said, that a keybed itself is not designed for this procedure and after disassembling it for 3-4 times it can be broken.

I guess he used some usual grease, nothing specific, because, as he confessed, in his long practice he had never performed this procedure on such keyboards. Weighted keys, he said, are much easier to disassemble. Well, anyway, it became much less noisy, although, I think, slowly the noise is coming back, but I'm not going to play this instrument forever.

It is dissapointing that brand new SX do not behave like brand new items. I also recently read that users have to deal with a lot of problems with Korg PA1000 - something wrong with a touchscreen or with a keybed. Stops me from buying anything without a warranty. Also, stops me from buying things with warranty from semi-official dealers: they offer good deals, but you can't be sure if the warranty would be accepted as a legit. Yamaha keeps minimal prices rather high and doesn't care for those who sell these products for 20% cheaper. Obviously, official prices stop me from buying anything as well.

Usually companies, when they move/build their factories to countries where manpower is cheaper, chaim that it does not affect the quality at all. But today you can't even buy some LEGO for a kid being sure that it has all the parts inside. LEGO will send the missing pieces to you if you ask, but the fun is ruined anyway.

Well, it's true that today we buy much more of these things than we used to and manufactures have to optimise the process in order to prodive us all with products.

In the same time, I believe, when you expect people to work like machines, treating them as such, you should expect that something will go wrong after all.

Edited by Kabinopus (08/14/20 01:57 AM)

#500235 - 08/14/20 06:49 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

I actually did not notice the black key noise when playing through on board speakers. It's when I played with headphones on, that my granddaughter mentioned a little clicking sound. That, along with some other SX -900 users at PSR Tutorial pointing out the noise, made me aware of the problem.

Since I really never noticed the noise, I would have done nothing, but when I found out, it kinda bothered me, and since Yamaha was willing to pay for an evaluation and repair if needed, I decided to have it done.

Maybe sometimes you are better off not knowing. But if you're like me, once you're aware of it, ya gotta do something about it.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

ā™« šŸŽ¹šŸŽ¹ ā™« SX-900

#500237 - 08/14/20 08:38 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I would have done the same Larry. I just won't use headphones. Ignorance is bliss,they say.

#500238 - 08/14/20 09:35 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Is it not just a white lithium grease?

#500239 - 08/14/20 10:05 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: MacAllcock]
lahawk Offline

Originally Posted By MacAllcock
Is it not just a white lithium grease?

Probably, but to keep the warranty, the shop is using the official Yamaha brand that they are sending him.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

ā™« šŸŽ¹šŸŽ¹ ā™« SX-900

#500240 - 08/14/20 10:18 AM Re: SX 900 Being Repaired [Re: lahawk]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Eek! Casio's are widely known to have this problem, and the grease is a temporary "band-aid" kind of fix. The problem WILL keep coming back, and if the holes are allowed to wear wide it will only get worse. Just another example of cost cutting and the "disposable product" philosophy. :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online