SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#501341 - 11/03/20 05:47 PM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: Nigel]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By Nigel

So who pays that in Australia? As far as I know it is simply paid for through taxes. And that makes sense.

Yep, you are totally correct Nigel someone has too pay and the Government has to get the money from somewhere. Sometimes they get it interest on money they loan overseas as well.
Here is a very old (2012) tax graph for different countries, and the percentage they use to from company tax and personal tax.

I just thought it interesting where different countries get their money to pay for these things to support healthcar and transport, roads , schools etc.

Anyway, thanks everyone for their thoughts and taking part. I think it is good to give all sides of a subject, as it enlights us all.

Thanks Russ for the topic and Hawk too for getting me to think lol.

Allan

Allan

Attachments
twp-chart2.jpg

#501350 - 11/05/20 12:03 PM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: captain Russ]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
One major unanswered point never brought up in these discussions. What about the rights of those of us who don't really care about the society but about only our own situations. In our most recent election, doesn't It bother anyone that HALF of the nation disagrees with you and your philosophies no matter which side you're on?

An amazing look at the map of the election results; The entire northeast went Democrat. Kind of looks like the north and the south of the civil war.

Edited by ekurburski (11/05/20 12:06 PM)

#501351 - 11/05/20 04:21 PM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: ekurburski]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski
One major unanswered point never brought up in these discussions. What about the rights of those of us who don't really care about the society but about only our own situations. In our most recent election, doesn't It bother anyone that HALF of the nation disagrees with you and your philosophies no matter which side you're on?

An amazing look at the map of the election results; The entire northeast went Democrat. Kind of looks like the north and the south of the civil war.

It‘s one of the problems of the human mind (e.g. according to teachers of Buddhism) to think in binary oppositions. It‘s more a simplified illusion than reality that there is only black or white, Republican or Democrat etc. In fact, I‘m sure many people are somewhere in between the extremes, but due to the majority voting system the map suggests states are completely red or blue (although we all know it‘s not true). It‘s a pity we always want to find the total contrast and the „other“ we want to disidentify with.

#501355 - 11/06/20 10:39 AM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: Crossover]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Rachel, I think you have hit on something I have been fascinated with for years. Life is so much more boring (and vicious) when you eliminate the greys. Everything isn't always black or white.

A polarized people cannot work together for the greater good.

Two polar opposites; Chas and Gary, are good friends of mine. That's because I have had the great privilege of visiting Chas and talking to Gary on a regular basis. I call Nigel and have gotten a lot more interaction with all three by talking or visiting than from simply responding electronically.

In fact, I joined the "zone" to look at the difference between purely electronic and more involved interpersonal communication from an academic aspect. I don't visit any other site. In fact, except for specs, I don't even use arrangers; at least not for performance.

I'm told that the great exodus from the bar was because of my comments related to political issues.

Of those who left, if we were sitting across from each other, the only thing we would be fighting about is who would buy the next round.

Rachel, you are one of my favorites here. Hopefully, after the world settles down a bit and I recover a little more I may try to talk to you in person.

I'd really enjoy that. If possible, I'd gladly buy the next round.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/06/20 10:42 AM)

#501359 - 11/06/20 10:28 PM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: ekurburski]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By ekurburski
One major unanswered point never brought up in these discussions. What about the rights of those of us who don't really care about the society but about only our own situations.

That is usually why society don't worry about those who couldn't give a flip about society's situations, since they are too navel gazing to look at the big picture.

Society , really is a big bunch of navel gazes ( people pushing their own agendas) finding a like minded people with "similar" wants/ needs /desires and then call themselves the majority. Society = the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

If you don't like society, then go live in the forest or out at sea or on an island. It is all possible but extremely hard to do, and you loose all the society's comforts and benifits that you have. Buy a extra large block of land - like 500 acres and build a house in the middle of it and go off grid maybe ( I for one would love too). Ok, I am becoming a grumpy old man or is that grumpier old man; I am relising that when I get the look from my wife, which I am getting more and more.

There was a Peanuts sketch once, that went :- "I love humanity, it's the people I can't stand!

And that, to be honest, is the problem with Politics - the people stuff it up real bad. Take out the people and the politics would work every time lol.

The good thing that still remains is that you can have an opinion and it does not agree with others ( even half the country) but we are all intelligent people , to a point. We have weighed the facts and in our experiences have come to a place thatwe feel that this would work best for the country. It may not be correct but it is what we feel would do the job. Sometimes, you don't get the best choice to decide with. Like two old men, one 74 and the other 77 representing their Paries but doing their own thing in a sense is hard to vote for.

As Crossroads mentioned about black or white, the parties are varied in their outlook, as some are left or left of right or right etc. But the leaders ( who you vote for in the US) may be leaning far left or far right, or elsewhere . You need to know who is who and where they are leading the country. But you have the right to your own opinion and to say, this is whatI believe, as no one has the right to tell you otherwise.

Of course, it is how you tell poeple or how you stand up for your beliefs and not destroy homes and shops or hurt others, physically or verbally; but also listen to others opinions too.

Now I am rambling on again, sorry..........

Allan

#501364 - 11/07/20 12:11 AM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ
Rachel, you are one of my favorites here. Hopefully, after the world settles down a bit and I recover a little more I may try to talk to you in person.
Russ

Rachel if you are comfortable conversing in English you will enjoy chatting with Russ. I have spoken with him on a number of occasions and he really is a treasure. He is so down to earth and we need more people like him in this world.

#501367 - 11/07/20 10:22 AM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: captain Russ]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Problem is I really have always despised the 5th grade teacher trying to force me into living my life by her standards!

#501372 - 11/07/20 11:52 AM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Man, Nigel, that post of yours created a little moisture in the ocular area.

Thanks so much!

R.

#501420 - 11/11/20 04:47 AM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: Nigel]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
Originally Posted By captain Russ
Russ

Rachel if you are comfortable conversing in English you will enjoy chatting with Russ. I have spoken with him on a number of occasions and he really is a treasure. He is so down to earth and we need more people like him in this world.

I‘m really looking forward to speak to Russ in person. I should be comfortable conversing in English, otherwise I should quickly abandon my job as an English language teacher wink Unfortunately, at the time I was at school it was not yet the standard to spend a whole schoolyear in the US, but I spent a total of 12 weeks in British and US host families, and during my English studies, 2 months in Vancouver, B.C. for an internship. Lately I watched so much CNN that I think a lot has been reactivated, too. smile

#501438 - 11/12/20 11:39 AM Re: The Bar STILL a VALUABLE PLACE TO EXPRESS BELIEFS [Re: Crossover]
captain Russ Offline

Rachel, I'm looking forward to talking on the phone. I have had a little setback, health wise. Had to have another couple of cc's of liquid taken off my heart. I am taking a med for 90 more days that keeps my heart rate under 50, so the sack around it can heal.

This last procedure hurt like hell (done with a needle and not nearly enough sedation), but it was not the general anesthetic they used last time. I was only of work 1/3 day, and did a sound score for UPS the next day.

Tell you what. When my meds are used up and I can actually stay awake...probably right after Christmas, I will send you a message with my number via the synthzone email system. If you are OK with it, you can give me your contact number. I know that international calls can get costly with an old windbag like me, and I'll call you on the line we use for all our international business classes (tax deductible....YEA).

That will give me a good thing to look forward to.

Be well, all.

And call or visit someone you care about.

R.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online