SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49975 - 06/17/03 11:08 AM Re: A Strange Fix
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks Larry. Life is never simple ......
I've come across another problem (trust me).After downloading some of the forum songs when I load them into the KN7. altho the floppy is shown as x% full, an error message says the file you tried to load is empty. I've tried all the load and play modes but answer is always the same??

Ogre

#49976 - 06/17/03 12:09 PM Re: A Strange Fix
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Ogre
I have exactly the same problem with my KN7000 and whatever I try to do the result is the same. I have followed all the instructions in Alex's book but still both floppy and sd card come up with the same response. "The file you try to load is empty" I Have now given up trying. I hope you have better luck

Trevor

#49977 - 06/17/03 02:24 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
This Works For Me

1. Press Disk Tools

2. Highlight the file that will not load

3. Press DEL once

4. Answer YES to Are You Sure ?

5. After a few seconds, Exit out of Disk Tools

5. Press Disk Load Button

6. Load the File

If repaired the file will load and play

If pressing DEL a second time the file will be deleted from the disk, so DEL at your own risk.

Let us know if this method works for you.

Regards,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49978 - 06/18/03 06:53 AM Re: A Strange Fix
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks Larry,
I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out - probably tomorrow.,

Peter

#49979 - 06/18/03 11:23 AM Re: A Strange Fix
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Ogre, I assume that you are unzipping the file before writing it to the floppy. I have never had a download fail after sending to a folder on my HD, unzipping it and copying it to a floppy. Works every time. On the other hand, downloading a zip file directly to a floppy will give you a file your keyboard can't possibly read.

#49980 - 06/18/03 02:46 PM Re: A Strange Fix
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Sorry Bud, I disagree .If you mean that the 7000 can not read a zipped file, of course that is true. However, I see no need in unzipping to your hard drive first. I unzip files directly to a floppy most of the time, and with success all the time.

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 06-18-2003).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49981 - 06/18/03 07:54 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi to all,
I downloaded both the Technics copy utility and the CKRename utility. From my perspective the Technics Copy Utility from http://home.wanadoo.nl/wimkersten/ seems to be the better option for the task we are talking about here, for the simple reason that you can send to floppy disk from the conversion page, seamlessly, immediatly have renaming. I didn't seem to be able to do this from the CKR. ( doesnt mean it's impossible though ) As regards ease of use, by reading the few instructions with the prog. and also BEBOPS reply to Walt,on another thread, I managed to sort it out!!!
(This pretty well puts it in the "foolproof" category, belive me folks )
Hope this doesn't confuse thing even more.
All the best
Eddie

#49982 - 06/18/03 08:54 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey ogre et. al.! Maybe this brief note will be redundant, but I'll put on my "two cents" worth anyway because I had a similar problem when I first downloaded songs in ZIP format and then tried to open them in my 7000. Always got the message that, after loading (I thought), "the file was empty"! Someone on this Forum helped me out (as always!!) So, I learned that the steps are--(assuming you are using Windows on your PC):

1) Click on the ZIP icon in your message.
2) Your unzip program (I use WINZIP) should automatically open. Follow the instructions for unzipping.
3) After the file is unzipped, a window with icons for all the unzipped items appears, (there should be 6-8 individual files listed).
4) Click on the EDIT button at the top and, in the drop down window, click "Select All". (The unzipped file icons should darken.)
5) COPY the files to your floppy disk (or MOVE them--I prefer to copy because then I still have the original files saved).
6) Close your ZIP program (or minimize it if you have other files to unzip) and then check your floppy (click "START", then "RUN" and insert "A://" ( or whatever letter your floppy disk drive is)) to see if all has indeed been copied. (If so, you should get a window that looks just like the original unzipped window that you copied.)
7)Once you have verified the unzipped files are opened on you floppy, you should be able to take the floppy to your 7000 and load it and it should playable.

I think what you were doing is trying to load a FOLDER, rather than the opened unzipped individual files and, of course, the 7000 couldn't read it. So, the message, after loading, was that the file was empty.

I hope this makes sense to you. I never have had any problem loading the unzipped songs since learning the techniques I described above and I hope this is will help you, too, now!

Good luck!

Ted

#49983 - 06/18/03 08:59 PM Re: A Strange Fix
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hi Everybody,
I finally got the Technics Copy program working (there was nothing wrong with the program, just my stupidity!). Eddie, you are right, for this task it is great as it allows you to add files from any folder or artist, regardless of file number, and send them anywhere you want, all correctly renumbered by the program.
Nothing could be easier.
I'll keep the CKRename program handy, though, for general file renaming.
My thanks to Wim Kersten and Pat Hall for two very useful programs.
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 06-18-2003).]

#49984 - 06/19/03 02:32 AM Re: A Strange Fix
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Oh! Ted...................How can I thank you.........After months of trying and savaging two P.Cs (throwing through nearby windows) the method you described worked perfectly ( at the second attempt). I saw your message when I got home from a gig last night and tried it this morning. I am now VERY happy bunny and am eternally in your debt. Many many thanks.

Trevor

My glazier will now probably go bankrupt

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online