SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498831 - 06/16/20 10:46 AM Headphone Review
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
AT Monitor Series consists of 4 models 20x. 30X. 40X. 50X.

Audio Technica M40X Headphones

None available locally to me who stock these headphones so I decided to purchase direct from Audio Technica here in UK.
Recent purchase, first impressions. Only having these M40X just two weeks it's perhaps a little too early to give a report but time at present is plentiful.

Out of the box and you’ll find two 3.5 mm audio cables. one a 3 metres straight and second a shorter coiled cable. While the cables have 3.5 mm end there is also 1/4 inch screw on.  Both these supplied cable have locking connectors into the H-phone.

40 mm drivers supply the excellent sound quality, also a supplied is a pouch to carry the headphones,

BASS. For me it is a little heavy but as these are normally used for the keyboard a little EQ adjustment can be adjusted. My wife likes the Bass performance and I accept her hearing has always been better than mine.
(During my working days taking home new pre-production speakers, she was the one giving the most accurate sound quality assessment feedback).

MIDRANGE is clear and accurate. The ATH-M40x do a great job of delivering crisp highs with excellent open detail.  Mixes that make good use of stereo space will sound excellent on these. So effortless to listen to with no harshness or imbalances detected and lovely inner detail and great vocals.

HEADPHONE FIT & COMFORT. These phones clamp ones ears more than is ideal but do a good job isolating external sounds. When not using I now mount them on a head shape bowl which over time will relax the headband.

Headphones produce some warmth which is not welcome but lately the weather has been very mild so not good for headphone temperatures.

Using these M40X's The voices from my Tyros 5-76 are the best I have heard them.
This is my personnel review so others will/may hear differently. Overall a nice pair of headphones.

#498854 - 06/16/20 04:45 PM Re: Headphone Review [Re: Graham UK]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Good review-may help someone out.

#498857 - 06/16/20 04:56 PM Re: Headphone Review [Re: Graham UK]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks for the review. I read it for future reference, but have several sets I like a lot right now.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online