SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#49845 - 04/11/05 11:01 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
technicsplayer Offline

the point of a large card is audio, I have 150 karaoke compact disk audio tracks on a 512 card to play along with a real orchestra. With 999 audio tracks available on an SD card requiring somewhere over 3GB space, 1G is obviously not enough for the max possible potential of audio play.

The 99x20 Technics file load is equivalent to 19,800 songs at 10 to a sequencer, in addition to 5,940 composer style loads, or alternatively in addition to 39,600 custom style loads, but is still not the whole story since add in midi files and a card can hold 20,799 songs, and you could fill the single custom folder to increase the potential custom swap by many hundreds of styles, let alone fill the imexport folder with midis and swap midi files from the pool on one card to increase the 999 potentially playable. For Technics and midi only you would probably only need a 256 for around maximum use.

Roger, everything in memory can be saved whether custom or composer and therefore restored after loading something else. If a custom style could not be restored then it was just saved incorrectly before the new custom was loaded.

Bill, my experience on save is the opposite, a performance save from initial takes longer on a 90% full 8MB card than it does on a 60% full 256MB card, albeit a mini-sd in adaptor, so it depends on the card.

#49846 - 04/11/05 12:18 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holy cow!! I have trouble finding files on a full 128.

Fran in Florida

#49847 - 04/11/05 02:56 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Thanks Alec
As usual when you reply I find that I need to sit down in a dark corner and think deeply about what you have written and so it is in this case - so please excuse me cos I'm off to contemplate, oh and America too...
Best wishes
Rog
It's a bit like someone saying the world is not flat but round!!!
Now I've got to go and look up 'imexport' in Alec's manual...

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 04-11-2005).]

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 04-11-2005).]

#49848 - 04/11/05 03:38 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
technicsplayer Offline

Roger, say you want to do a performance save, SD, save, technics, position, page 2, custom, switch yes. Then the entire custom is saved with any sequencer contents or panel memories used with any custom style. If someone alters the custom it can be restored same as before, just as any combination of sections on the page 2 save.

For imexport, read the sd tools section on page 45, export a midi and the folder is automatically created, fill it with midis in a card reader and then import them in the same menu.

#49849 - 04/11/05 08:42 PM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Well Audrey, I hope the answers didn't create more confusion about the SD card, and sometimes I'm just amazed that Alec can seem to find out how all this stuff works in such a short time span! Luckily for us, his curiosity saves the day for many of us that end up lost at sea with the new technology. I suppose one just has to find which method works best when using the SD card, like custom save works for me. I find it is fast and efficient since the way I load the files is the same sequence that I used for the original archive files. Music style, manufacturer, tempo, and location index. If I needed a Latin salsa rhythm at 120 tempo by Roland, I can locate the style in a few seconds using my archive notebook and the SD card. A few more seconds to load the custom banks and I have the needed style plus 14 to 19 others that are the same tempo or very close to what I want. It makes style selection fast and easy, but then, I'm not playing before a live impatient audience, either. Pick what works best for you, and learn everything you can about it, until you can do it in your sleep. Same goes for the rest of the keyboard features - learn what you need to learn to do the things you want to do - and leave the rest for Alec.

#49850 - 04/12/05 12:16 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Well! - what can I say. Thanks very much again to each and every one of you that has responded to this posting, particularly Alec and Bill.

Having carefully read and re-read everyone's contribution, I have learned a great deal about the versatility of the SD Card. One thing I just had NOT thought about and that is to make more use of the Custom section. The Custom Style is one of my favourites and I use this facility regularly and still! it didn't occur to me to use it in the way that has been suggested. Together with more use of the Favourites section,it could well be the answer. I guess I can re-shuffle the cards that I have and make them 'work a bit harder'

Dick - thank you again for disclosing your method of dealing with this problem. The way you suggest does work, but Fred Mellink's KN SD Explorer tool (which works in a similar way) is much easier and quicker to use with the same end result. If you want to know more, email me.

Best wishes to you all.

Aud (U.K.)

#49851 - 04/12/05 01:10 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
'page 2, custom, switch yes'
That's the bit I forgot....doh
Thanks again Alec

#49852 - 04/12/05 03:40 AM Re: Question for Alec Pagida
technicsplayer Offline

you're welcome

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2