SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498330 - 06/08/20 11:28 PM 2 hour G70 video on YT (Chris Nicholson)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I am not sure If anyone follows this guy (Chris Nicholson) but he reviews alot of high end keyboards and knows a bit of history. Not to mention he is also an awesome player!!

The Audio quality isn't the greatest but still enjoyable to watch and listen to.

He is also going to release a video in the near future where he compares the G70 and a Genos side by side which I am really looking forward to!

Enjoy!
Nick

Edited by Nick G (06/09/20 12:05 AM)

#498335 - 06/09/20 06:35 AM Re: 2 hour G70 video on YT (Chris Nicholson) [Re: Nick G]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
I saw that too. Kris is a great player and you have to admire someone who enjoys what he does to that extent. He is a little bit of a hoarder though as far as keyboards are concerned but to each their own.

#498336 - 06/09/20 06:43 AM Re: 2 hour G70 video on YT (Chris Nicholson) [Re: Nick G]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Nick G
He is also going to release a video in the near future where he compares the G70 and a Genos side by side which I am really looking forward to!

I have had both units....
in it's day the G70 held it's own....
with many ground breaking features
But as we all know technology waits for no man
The New Genos is light years ahead of the
much older G70 in today's world of arranger kb technology..
but still very usable in many ways, but not many even have them anymore.
Discontinued models are difficult to find parts for, etc,..
More for home or studio due to their weight
then a every day in & out gigging kb..

https://www.roland.com/global/products/g-70/

Edited by Dnj (06/09/20 07:13 AM)

#498338 - 06/09/20 06:54 AM Re: 2 hour G70 video on YT (Chris Nicholson) [Re: Nick G]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nick, a good find.. and I appreciate Chris's effort.. but he does not know the instrument at all. Even points he showed he is in error..

Chris does not know the G70 has six different fills.. 3 up and 3 down.

He also is not aware on intro/ending 2, Roland always allows you to play the chord progression.

He was totally clueless on how to use the harmonizer, or guitar mode..

He should had done his homework and learned a few things before showing them.

He is not alone, not a single Roland demonstrator was able to show the Guitar mode or harmonizer.

I have personally made better demos with G70 harmonizer and guitar mode.

Chris didn't even scratch the surface of what the G70 can do (features). It would take at least 8 hours to highlight the features, and I am not talking about style demos.

Nick I know you know what I am talking about.. You, Diki, Miden and myself are just about the only folks from SZ that know something about the G70.. and it is a learning experience for everyone.

I have compared the G70 with every brand and even every Roland model.. There is no better keyboard..

Chris touched on a couple things that folks should pay attention to... Roland designs many of the styles (especially on the G70) with different intro/endings for each chord type.
Chris did not show this, but muted parts with Roland styles does not make it un-useable.. in fact some are better.

Imagine if someone made a series of the features (G70)..From Covers, Make up tools to harmonizer features, audio inputs, effect routs, singer keys, playlists, user programs, data organization, search engines, Draw bar organ, and keyboard options including layering six parts.. velocity switching of the sounds, editing of important parameters tone and drums..SMF edits and markers.. etc etc etc.

Then consider the best organ , and piano on any arranger keyboard..

As I have always offered.. I am ready to A/B with anyone.. smile

#498340 - 06/09/20 07:04 AM Re: 2 hour G70 video on YT (Chris Nicholson) [Re: Dnj]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
The genos has some features that the G70 didn’t have due to technology not being available at the time. But The G70 - also has many features that are not in the Genos.

The Roland style Make up tools alone are a HUGE front runner for me. Not to mention the library of Roland drum kits and the expressive quality of each individual element of the drum kits Overall surpass the Yamaha. Remember the keyword “overall” Yes the Genos has a few new drum kits which are top class but that’s only about 10 in total? where the rest are legacy and still very flat... on the Roland EVERY kit is of the same top quality - and there are over 40... This is also mirrored amongst all other categories of sounds.

We can all go on and compare features and sounds which some appeal more to others as everyone has different tastes and requirements.

In all seriousness this 15 year old G70 Keyboard still stacks up today to the best of the best.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online