SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#496894 - 05/12/20 07:59 PM Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi All,

I am seeking advice from the headphone Gods...

I only have ever been using sony ear plugs to use with my keyboards while playing at home which to me sounds great to my ears... But after connecting my keyboards to some decent studio monitors and playing live, I have realised how "bass heavy" and out of wack the mixes are on my keyboards (Roland BK9 and PSR SX900)...

I want to purchase a good set of studio monitor headphones that will give me the "true" sound so I can get a decent mix correctly without the need to use monitors in my apartment as noise is an issue...

Does such a thing exist from a pair of head phones or are they all designed to cheat our ears and just sound "good" and "bassy"?

thanks!
Nick

#496895 - 05/12/20 08:13 PM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: Nick G]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This is what I use... My PA 4X is set up to my TASCAM DP24 so I use them to record vocals & mix as well Audio-Tehncia ATH-M70X

Flat response & will not give you any extra anything including BASS..What you hear is how it everything really sounds...

They are worth every penny

#496896 - 05/12/20 08:22 PM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: Nick G]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've had great results with Marantz Pro MPH2 phones. They are only around a hundred dollars and I have bought two sets on Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day in the past couple of years for far less.
They have a replaceable cable, which is nice because the part that usually breaks if anything does.
Great frequency response, 10-300, not that we can hear those frequencies anyway.
They also make MPH4, which are only slightly more expensive but I haven't tried those.
If money is no object you can get top of the line Sennheiser for around $1400.
I have been able to mix my keyboards with the MPH2 phones and the sound needs very little tweaking when I plug into my p.a. and/or make recordings.

#496898 - 05/12/20 08:58 PM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: Nick G]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I suggest open back so you get some realistic room ambiance. Closed back cans are great for recording, and provide great isolation, but in a mix, or casual listening situation try these: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S-Precision-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B01N3LM3J5

They go on sale every now and then, but they are super comfortable, and sound fantastic. There are lots of choices, and I'd had most of them, like the Sony 7506
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E but they are closed back.

Watch sone videos and see what you think!

#496910 - 05/13/20 04:00 AM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Sennheiser Hd220 headphones for a closed model...

I also have the Phillips OPEN phones described by Dave above great
bang for the buck and lightweight I love the way
they cover the whole ear.

headphone

Edited by Dnj (05/13/20 04:15 AM)

#496915 - 05/13/20 05:31 AM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I've had great results with Marantz Pro MPH2 phones. They are only around a hundred dollars and I have bought two sets on Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day in the past couple of years for far less.

Ditto I have the same pair also purchased via Stupid Deal of the Day. I'm very happy with them.

#496917 - 05/13/20 06:19 AM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: Nick G]
zuki Offline

Senn HD650 - fantastic for mixing too. Beautiful full sound, perfectly balanced, comfy. Everything else I try never matches up.

If you have the money, you might try these:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1

Edited by zuki (05/13/20 07:06 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#496975 - 05/13/20 05:43 PM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Thanks for all the suggestions people!

I am on the fence about open back and closed back... I do most of my keyboard playing and sound mixing at night in my smallish 2 bedroom apartment when my kids and wife go to sleep. I am worried how loud the sound will be coming out of the headphones and whether it will be enough to keep the family awake - Hence i am leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-M70X...

@Zuki - wow those HE-1s! just WOW I watched a few videos on them last night out of interest. 60k USD for a pair of headphones.!!!! I would never want to take them off.

#496980 - 05/13/20 06:27 PM Re: Studio Headphone monitors (for arranger keyboards) [Re: Nick G]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Nick G

I am on the fence about open back and closed back... I do most of my keyboard playing and sound mixing at night in my smallish 2 bedroom apartment when my kids and wife go to sleep. I am worried how loud the sound will be coming out of the headphones

Very minimal in other rooms. It only an issue bleeding back into a vocal mic right in front of you. Those ATs are nice, too.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online