SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#496650 - 05/09/20 10:45 AM Loss Of Interest
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Wow! I would have never believed this would happen to me again. It has been over a week since I sat at any of my keyboards and I don't miss it at all! This morning I tried again with the same results -boooing! After 2 songs I turned it off and went walking. I'm not sure I will continue with my live gigs or not. Only time will tell.

In the 1960's through the 1970's I played with many major big bands, was a studio musician, played with the Dallas and Ft. Worth symphonies. Was on call for urgent fast fill-ins for big time traveling bands. Then one New Years Eve I told the band leader I was playing with at the time that it would be my last time to play. I was just tired of all the travel and responsibility that went with it. Plus, I also had a main job. Well, that was 1978 and I did not play a single note of music again until 2006 when I bought a Yamaha PSR3000. That happened after my wife and I came home from a cruise on which we saw a guy playing a Kurzwiel 88 and I was fascinated with all the sounds being produced.

I have had a great run since 2006 fully enjoying and being very proud to bring some great music to the residents of over 130 senior living venues. It was always inspiring and humbling when someone approached me and commented about a song that I played that they danced to at their wedding or on a first date or that was a favorite of a deceased spouse or when they talked about the memories my music brought back to them. You see, that is what made it worth while.

It is strange that being at home with absolutely nothing to do or places to be would cause someone to rethink the way you want to lead the rest of your life. Many factors enter into all of this. Funny, but the last 2 months I have felt better than I have for 3 years. Never exhausted - never anxious - never worried about anything. You all have heard the expression "be careful what you ask for". Well, I got what I thought I wanted - gigs nearly every day, new equipment anytime I wanted, not needed, it - all paid for from my gigs. But I never realized the over-all effect this was having on my life. You see, I still have my wonderful wife of 57 years. We have been together since 1959. It has been wonderful to be with her every day all day and remember the things that brought us together 60 years ago. At the tender age of 80 I intend to live a full blessed life doing nothing I don't want to do - just for money or any other reason.

I have notified my clients I would honor all my scheduled dates with them in 2020, provided the places even open in 2020, but don't know if I will return in 2021. We will see.

Deane

#496651 - 05/09/20 11:16 AM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: hammer]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Deane, It certainly sounds like you’ve had a wonderful music career. If it’s time to sit back and smell the roses...you’ve earned it.
Congratulations,
Mitch

#496654 - 05/09/20 11:47 AM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: jingleman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Deane, Life certainly has it's own way of directing us ...
I wish you well in your decisions ...
Personally, if anything, I am becoming more lethargic not having gigs to prepare for, stores to go to, etc. etc. ... I will force myself to get out to walk, so I at least get SOME exercise, and while I haven't been playing the KB everyday, I at least use entertaining our one year old great granddaughter as a reason to play a few days a week ...

I also have been wondering what I'm going to do as far as returning to gigs ... Honestly, while I was getting jealous watching Dave entertain 'LIVE' on Thursday, I feel a little hesitant about getting out there myself ... I'll just have to wait and see how things unfold ...

BTW, we have some things in common - I am 79 years of age (I REFUSE to say OLD), been married for over 56 years, and went through a period of not playing professionally for 7 years after relocating to RI ...
Again, I wish you the best in your decisions ...
God Bless

#496655 - 05/09/20 11:48 AM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: hammer]
Gerry M Offline

Loc: Sahuarita Arizona
When I read your post it was like looking into a mirror. Even though I did not have all these wonderful musical experiences as you had, I stayed busy working full time and playing piano whenever I could. After retirement did the nursing and retirement home circuit with my wife of 60 years of marriage on vocals and a Yamaha arranger keyboard. Had a lot of satisfying gigs and was paid for having fun. Now at 82 I too sit down at the keyboard and it does not give me any satisfaction anymore. It has been said that music will lengthen your life. May be I should give it a rest for a while and come back to the keyboard and explore all the wonderful things it can do, but never did have the time or the desire. May be reading the manual will get me motivated to find out what more my arranger keyboard can do.I just don't want to give up music. It is good for the soul!

#496656 - 05/09/20 11:51 AM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: Gerry M]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Gerry M
I just don't want to give up music. It is good for the soul!

AMEN !!!

#496657 - 05/09/20 12:13 PM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I ain't ready yet, but I can foresee the day when I will be. Right now I can't wait to get back in harness.
They still aren't letting restaurants open here, except for take out and delivery.
Got two jobs booked at private functions in June if nothing happens before then. Both are outdoors and one is in Texas and the other in Oklahoma. Both of these states have looser restrictions already.
Deane, I wish you the best in whatever you decide. You are just a little older than I am but you are in better physical shape. Maybe you'll get to make another trip to England when conditions allow.

#496658 - 05/09/20 12:49 PM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: hammer]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i've been dealing with this too since 2007. i only played at the christmas /new years eve party here at my community . so in 12 years i've played no more than maybe 4 hours total. other than jamming in my little office studio, i dont play. i lost my voice due to not performing (use to be a decent singer).
one thing i noticed is when i changed over to arranger playing, it seems that i became a better one man band / duo musician as far as sounding like a full band. but my musician skills went down hill. i became lazy ,let the arranger do the bass lines instead of me playing bass pedals . my left hand bass/chording skills got weaker. now dont get me wrong , i'm not blaming the arranger. i became robotic in playing, lost my passion. i never really care for playing front of people , i use to love studio work and creating stuff. but now after years of playing i feel the same. just cant get into it. funny thing is that i'm always looking for equipment to buy that i wont ever play after i get it.
so here's my thinking, im leaving my stuff set up so i can play for that song or two. then i decided that i'm not going to feel guilty for not wanting to play anymore. at my age (73) i'm not going to stress about it like i use to. so go buy that motorcycle,bike,boat,or just let it go and go do something thats different , its OK at my age.

#496659 - 05/09/20 12:57 PM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: hammer]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Deane

I certainly see where you are coming from,but for my part,I had a full timr job that would allow me to play out only on weekends until 1997 when I retired. Therefore,I haven't been through the mill like many of you. I feel like I had to defer my real love,which is performing music. At 79,I am not guaranteed anything,but I'll give her a go until I can't any longer. Luckily,my wife is a music lover,and is right behind me(or ahead of me).

#496660 - 05/09/20 01:02 PM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: wrinkles303]
Dnj Offline

Deane,...I know the feeling very well after so long on stage.
But I will never have a loss of interest for playing music
in one way or the other...it's part of me and will
always be my passion. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Stay safe

#496662 - 05/09/20 02:35 PM Re: Loss Of Interest [Re: hammer]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Deane
Interesting thoughts. I've become lazy too. I get motivated by preparing for the next job but who knows when that will be. I do enjoy just playing for myself on piano, knowing that I will probably never get that dream gig of just doing a laid back piano/ vocal thing. When I sit at the piano too long I start feeling guilty that I should be at The Arranger working on something. Weird. Many years of habit.
Whatever happens you've had an enviable ride so do what you like. Myself, as others have said, hope the musical fire never burns out. Keeps the mind working.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online