SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4957 - 01/08/04 07:56 AM Re: cheep midi controller
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
In that case, maybe you are better just sticking to your current course after all.

I'm just a button pusher, so a short keyboard does me fine. In your case, it sounds like you're probably more of a serious player so perhaps you are better to go for a bigger one after all.

Just for fun, take a deep breath and check out the grand daddy of all MIDI keyboards at http://www.doepfer.de/lmk4.htm . It's a beast!

#4958 - 01/08/04 09:20 AM Re: cheep midi controller
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Well even if I get a controller with out any sounds, I guess that would be OK since I also would use a sound module. Is it important to have sounds on a keyboard?

Hi again. Personally, I prefer to have the sounds in the board. (Keep in mind I play live mainly) The reason is, making changes to my sounds, I mean simple things, like adjusting volume of patches in a performance set-up or changing the patches within the performance set-up is simpler. But then again, I never did use a very good controller. I once had a Fatar SL880 which was a controller, but to change banks and patches on my JV-1010 sound module, was highly impractical. The SL880 did not offer many dedicated buttons, switches, etc...
And I like to be able make changes to my performance set-ups and save them on the spot. At times I stumble across a sound, or split, or layer or something during rehearsal (because I experiment in rehearsals a little, not much) and want to adjust it and save it then and there. If you have that kind of need, make sure the controller you look at can do that. The Fatar SL880 was impractical in that sense. A great feeling board but very limited control.

My real point is, to answer your question above; it would really have to depend on the controllers ability to know whether or not it's important to have on-board sounds or not.

There is the matter of lugging more equipment and although rare, I've had MIDI communications trouble and had to do a reset in the controller/sound module set-up once or twice. Thankfully I wasn't playing live when that happened. So there may be a greater chance of a "stuck" note. But that's just my experience. Maybe no one else has experienced this.

I agree with the need for 76 keys over 61. Sometimes, I split the board and in the highest 1.5 octaves, I'll setup a flute or something (transposing it down an octave or two). I'll be able to play the rest of the board pretty freely, and play that upper section for my flute part where appropriate in the song, while continuing chording in the lower section. Doing that with a 61 key keyboard would seriously hamper what could be played in the lower section of the split. So in my opinion 76 keys are better for splits than 61 keys. Plus just in general, one is much more free with 76. I'm almost at the point that there's no difference between 88 and 76, for me. Almost.

Anyhow, I hope you find what you need. Judging from the specs on those A-series boards, they can do a lot. But could they let you split and/or layer and save that setting on the spot? Will they let you perform bank and program changes on the fly without sound cut-out? Those I guess are som "live" needs one would have. I'm sure there's others.

Peace
Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 01-08-2004).]

#4959 - 01/08/04 10:08 AM Re: cheep midi controller
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
When I used to play live, I always made sure that all of my modules are placed just to the right of my controller. That way I was able to edit and save on the fly.

If for some odd reason you are forced to place your gear backstage (never again!), then having a keyboard with it's own sound is pretty important.

But you play in a band, and I see no reason why they won't let you have your modules right where you need them.

BTW
Ifyou're use a multitimbral module, like the JV1080 or Alesis QSR or Motif rack, the Roland A controllers let you do their own midi splits, layers,midi transpose, program changes, volume/pan info and more. All of the settings are then stored as a performance, so you can reconfigure the settings in the modules right from your controller.
That would only work with modules that respond to standard midi control messages like volume,pan,PC,FX sends etc. If you're dealing with a module that uses FX buses/pan buses and has bizarre multitimbral setup (like Z1), then it makes things a lot more difficult and you'll have to edit and store using the module itself.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-08-2004).]

#4960 - 01/08/04 02:33 PM Re: cheep midi controller
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
When I used to play live, I always made sure that all of my modules are placed just to the right of my controller. That way I was able to edit and save on the fly.

If for some odd reason you are forced to place your gear backstage (never again!), then having a keyboard with it's own sound is pretty important.

But you play in a band, and I see no reason why they won't let you have your modules right where you need them.

BTW
Ifyou're use a multitimbral module, like the JV1080 or Alesis QSR or Motif rack, the Roland A controllers let you do their own midi splits, layers,midi transpose, program changes, volume/pan info and more. All of the settings are then stored as a performance, so you can reconfigure the settings in the modules right from your controller.
That would only work with modules that respond to standard midi control messages like volume,pan,PC,FX sends etc. If you're dealing with a module that uses FX buses/pan buses and has bizarre multitimbral setup (like Z1), then it makes things a lot more difficult and you'll have to edit and store using the module itself.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-08-2004).]

using the roland as a controller with the motif rack sounds like if that may work for me for live playing. Now, to get more rediculus, are there controllers that would allow me to sequence using the sounds of a rack?

#4961 - 01/08/04 07:27 PM Re: cheep midi controller
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
No, most controllers are just controllers. If you need something with the onboard sequencer, you'll have to get a synth workstation. But since you've mentioned Motif rack...Why NOT just buy a MOTIF keyboard?
I believe it has it's own sequencer.
It will cost a few grand, but it is a great investement from my point of view.

Another cool option is to get a Roland XP-80.
XPs are pretty light and they sound good. Again, nothing fancy comparing to gigastuff or killer soft synths or even workstations like the Triton or a MOTIF, but cheap wnough and worth getting a hold of! It has a nice sequencer as well.

-ED-

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online