SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#495166 - 04/20/20 04:15 PM What I've learned about streaming so far
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been a busy beaver, that's certain. After testing about a dozen setups, and wiring options, here's what I know ... just in case you're thinking of doing the same thing. Streaming live is very different from posting edited videos, and there's a place for both. Here's my conclusions after all the tests:

1) My iPhoneX is the best camera I own ... or have ever owned. The picture is clear, and the editing is easy. Win/Win
2) Streaming to Facebook Live is controlled more by FB more than MY gear - if I use the best audio gear I have, facebook still downgrades the stream ... maybe it's because I'm using wifi. I'll retest this conclusion after I get a longer ethernet cable.
3) Backgrounds, clothing and lighting SHOULD be fussed with. Sitting home alone, I forget that many people around the globe may see these vids, so I'm going to fuss more as I continue to post. This may be a serious part of my performance life in the days ahead, and I will treat it with the respect the craft deserves.
4) Direct audio recording at the expense of poor video is not a trade-off I want to make in a live broadcast. Live shows NEED to be interactive to stand out from a rehearsed, studio session. If I'm making my weekly Wednesday 7pm "live" - I will use the iPhoneX, Shure MV88 mic and small, tripod mounted LED light - this is by far the cheapest, most effective way to broadcast a live show with better than average sound with what I currently own. I am always looking to do better, but my budget is frozen until I go back to work.
5) You Tube posts will be edited and targeted for high viewing numbers. It's important that I get 1000 views to get to the next level. Learning how to use iMovie was a huge step forward, and I get the best audio added to the best video possible, again with what I own.

What are some of YOUR suggestions of you're doing the same thing? Anyone have some useful hacks for better steaming success? (PLEASE don't just post videos that are all over on these topics - I have the internet, too) I'd love concrete suggestions from actual users. annnnnnnnnnnd - GO!

coffee

Attachments
IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

#495170 - 04/20/20 05:33 PM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
https://www.roland.com/us/roland_cloud_academy/livestreaming/?lang=en-US

Don’t know if this would help Dave...but Roland is offering a course on live streaming coming up soon. It appears all you have to do is register.
Mitch

#495173 - 04/20/20 06:41 PM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Thanks Mitch ... I'll see if I can clear my schedule. LOL

#495189 - 04/21/20 05:55 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

I know nothing about streaming video...but just my take that someone would need a lot more then just a simple cell phone setup to produce high quality video and audio for you tube.
That would include some professional gear and certainly a pro Digital camera?
So many sub par videos on you tube can be viewed but the really pro ones
I would assume need the right gear to show. I could be wrong but it is only my speculation.
Possibly two cameras would be better also. Why not just talk with people who already produce quality UT videos and get advice on what they are using and how they use it for production. That said good luck I hope it all works out...excited to see the finished product.
maybe this will help...?

Edited by Dnj (04/21/20 05:58 AM)

#495193 - 04/21/20 06:33 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Watched a thousand of these so called "experts" and my decision stands ... the phone is great for LIVES, and for YOUTUBE .... I'll fuss a bit more, and do a direct recording, then add in video.

#495196 - 04/21/20 06:45 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Watched a thousand of these so called "experts" and my decision stands ... the phone is great for LIVES, and for YOUTUBE .... I'll fuss a bit more, and do a direct recording, then add in video.

SD7 I hope?..I know you'll get it sorted out dave
I'd like to hear that beast go thru it's paces styles & sounds...
SMF/Mp3 playback with accomp and vocals etc..
it's been so long since I touched one..

Edited by Dnj (04/21/20 06:50 AM)

#495200 - 04/21/20 07:42 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
SD7 I hope?..I know you'll get it sorted out.

There just "may" be a pristine SD7 available very soon ... Working on a plan with the Prince. eek2

#495201 - 04/21/20 07:45 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj
SD7 I hope?..I know you'll get it sorted out.

There just "may" be a pristine SD7 available very soon ... Working on a plan with the Prince. eek2

surprised And there it is ladies and gentlemen...
Good luck with your new SD60 I hope its the answer
was the sx900 part of the deal?

ROAD TRIP??? confused1

Edited by Dnj (04/21/20 08:11 AM)

#495218 - 04/21/20 10:08 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Good luck with your new SD60 I hope its the answer
was the sx900 part of the deal?

First - there is no ONE answer. Things change constantly in the biz, and I need to stay abreast of the changes. I've pushed the SD7 to it's limits, and I know more about what it can, and cannot do. Nothing is certain yet, but as I get more comfy with the SD series, it's a logical progression, as I need the most powerful one available for the way I push the envelope in my stage rig. This is my chosen profession, and I need the best tools available. The SD60 will provide an upgraded, faster, more powerful OS for my live, on the fly modifications, and no ... there was never any mention of selling or trading my SX900. That's a studio piece, and will serve me well right where it is. You mention road trips .. as if you'd actually get in a closed space with other breathing humans without masks, and sit closer than 6 feet across? Sometimes you crack me up .... but it's part of your charm.

#495221 - 04/21/20 10:28 AM Re: What I've learned about streaming so far [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Questions....
ok I understand the mask part..

but why the pa4x?
and a sx900 and a sd7...
and next a sd60 too?
how many "arrangers" does one need?
just sayin.

That said I hope the sd60 deal goes thru and your happy.
and back on stage soon then later..

stay safe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online