SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#494914 - 04/18/20 12:02 PM Re: Abilene [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I used to play guitar. Still have four or five, but haven't picked one up lately. I have had the opportunity to work with a number of world-class guitar players and try to listen to what they are doing, but I really don't even think much about what my right hand is doing anymore.
Have to be careful to not play the same licks too often.
The way I use pitch bend is opposite of what most people do. I hardly ever start with a note and bend it up. Hard to explain though. When I need to bend a note up, I start with it bent below the note, play the note and then release to go up. Not saying it's the right way to do it, but it's the way I taught myself over the years.
I have grown to really not like the way the Yamaha arrangers do too much for you, and find myself using guitar sounds that don't have SA built in. Sometimes you want to use initial touch to change the volume of a note, but not necessarily want it to bend or slide or scratch or whatever.

#494925 - 04/18/20 12:29 PM Re: Abilene [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don, it's obvious that your 'end product' comes from years of practice and performance - and having country in your DNA wink ... the fact that you have played guitar and 'listen' to guitar players certainly helps, but it is the time and effort you have put in that allows you to sound as great as you do ...
I have tried using pitch bend while practicing, and it is actually laughable ... not nearly enough country in this city guy ...
I perform some country songs, but that doesn't mean I'm playing 'country' ... kind of like when I play Jazz songs from one of the 'Real Books' ... doesn't mean I'm playing Jazz ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (04/18/20 12:32 PM)

#495008 - 04/19/20 11:30 AM Re: Abilene [Re: tony mads usa]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Tony; Interesting comments. I agree 100% and find that many performers try to play tunes they really should leave alone. I don't comment on such postings as it seems that the only posts that are appreciated are the positive ones. BTW you may rest assured I will NEVER submit a Michael Jackson tune unless I honestly feel I'm able to pull a Conway Twitty rendition of it.

Also, I don't want to neglect yhe positive comment on Don M's work/ As Always top notch and pure country.

Edited by ekurburski (04/19/20 11:33 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online