SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#494455 - 04/13/20 12:02 PM vocalist SD40
hspeulman Offline

Hi, I have a question.

I play in a two man band and a five man band. I want to use the SD 40 vocalist. I want to operate it using the Novation impulse 49. Which default settings should I set on the Novation and the Sd40.
Especially want to use one or two extra voices. For taught.
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.
Henk from the Netherlands

Edited by hspeulman (04/13/20 12:05 PM)

#494475 - 04/13/20 01:26 PM Re: vocalist SD40 [Re: hspeulman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
First - are you using the SD40 for rhythms, and patterns, or just to trigger harmonies? If you are - I suggest that pianist mode is probably best, as you have limited keys for live playing on a 49 not e keyboard.

Try each preset to see which one suite you, and then tweak it to compliment your voice. Make a few presets. I like one that features my lead voice, and the harmonies compliment it, but if your 5 pc group, you may want to make a "doo wop" band preset that has your voice as an equal part of an ensemble sound that can ohhh and ahhh behind your lead vocalist. This is SO much fun.

#494542 - 04/14/20 05:59 AM Re: vocalist SD40 [Re: hspeulman]
hspeulman Offline

Thanks for your answer. I appreciate that. I also have the option to use my Nord stage 88 for chords. that's my second keyboard. However, I would like to use as much as (elc.) Piano. Less for chords. Indeed, only to create harmonies. In the band I mainly use the individual sounds of the SD 40 in combination with the Nord. I am still amazed that in Europe Ketron is not that big. Sounds remain fantastic.However, I think using the Novation is most convenient. In the 5-man band I work with registration, so I have all the settings ready for every new song we play.
But do I not have to make separate settings in the sd 40? Years ago I worked a lot with the Digitech vocalist 2. I know that a vocalist can be an addition to vocals.
In short, microphone via the sd40, Keyboard via midi also via the sd 40 and then it responds immediately to the change of chords? I have tried it before but had the impression that it continues to sound out of tune. Midi channel 1?
Sincerely
Henk

Edited by hspeulman (04/14/20 06:07 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online