SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#493253 - 03/30/20 06:51 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Oh yeah, loved George. A funk master.

#493254 - 03/30/20 07:27 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Speaking of George I watched this 2 days ago at 3 in the morning.. kept my interest for 2 hours and 15 minutes, smile

The guy on the Fantoms is the heart of the show.. grin

The girl helps hold my interest wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxVj3UZ5b8

Edited by Fran Carango (03/30/20 07:28 PM)

#493256 - 03/30/20 07:45 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
OK, I've read the specs, listened to the demo's, talked with owners and ...

Dave, with all due respect, this (video) may be 'INSTANT' but it sure ain't 'FUNK'. Am I a connoisseur of funk? Well, yes...pretty much. This is sanitized Bulls..t pretending to be something it's not. The truth is, you're unlikely to get real, honest-to-g.d funk out of an arranger (style). A few exceptional musicians like Marco Parisi can do it because of what they are able to add to a basic beat, which is to add their own innate sense of rhythm and syncopation; something a machine can't capture. You want to hear REAL funk, listen to some James Brown or George Clinton or Bootsy Barnes or the Funk Brothers or even Tower of Power. Sorry Bro, you can't fake the funk smile.

chas

Chas what about this?

#493258 - 03/30/20 08:10 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

The SD60 seems to be in the same case as the SD7 - is the weight the same?

Hi Dave,
don’t think so,
It’s 41 lbs ( if correct)

https://images.static-thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/specs/spezifikationenketron_sd60.pdf

Spec sheet from Thoman music

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493259 - 03/30/20 08:41 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

SD60 and SD7 are nearly identical.

Main difference The SD60 has dual processors and Launchpad software.

Actual weight is the same around 33 pounds.

#493260 - 03/30/20 09:25 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
LOL - You all missed my point! I posted that video to say that "I'VE" got my mind made up! Nothing more. Don't really care for the tune. After weighing the options (and Fran, the SD60 IS 41 lbs, like Rikki pointed out) I have decided that an SD60 is no in my plans. There's not enough reasons to upgrade (for me) even though the dual processors eliminate the load delay. They sound almost identical, and that's good enough for me. Now - for some REAL Funk ... I I still want Doc's job someday!)
Chas - I'm hurt that you included my boyz as an afterthought!

#493261 - 03/30/20 10:11 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dave,
think Fran was trying to trick you into getting a boat anchor that’s nearly as heavy as the G70,
then you guys can’t tease him anymore. Haha

( sorry Fran, couldn’t resist)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493262 - 03/30/20 10:45 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Tower of Power, Yep. Always been a big fan. They know how to bring the funk smile. Superb musicians.

chas

#493263 - 03/30/20 11:06 PM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Chas what about this?

It's okay, maybe a little better than average for 'arranger funk' but nobody (that knows music) is ever going to mistake it for the 'real' thing. The guy hits all the right notes and is obviously a good player BUT if you listen to him alongside of say Marco, you'll know the difference. Could Marco Parisi squeeze some funk out of that EA7? Yeah, probably, 'cause it's like Paul always says, it's the keyboardist, not the keyboard. BUT, go back and listen to that George Duke video and then try to tell me that Ketron (or any other MACHINE) has 'live drums'. Be careful how you answer if you still want to call yourself a musician smile smile. Hey, in the vernacular of the street, "it is what it is".

chas

#493268 - 03/31/20 06:07 AM Re: Can't believe I'm asking this ... [Re: cgiles]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I have to search, but I posted awhile back about the weight difference and got confirmation (from AJ) that the 41 lb spec was an error. I think the sd60 is 2 or 3 lbs more than sd7.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online