SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#493295 - 03/31/20 02:27 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: Steve A]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Steve, I now own my 3rd Pa4x, and a Yamaha Sx900. Your question is based on individual needs and desires.
Dave and the others offer good impute. Let me share you mine.

Pa4x: I have another pa4x for two reasons.
1-It is such a fantastic keyboard; it offers so much ---- for playing gigs!
2-Right now am using the Pa4x to save me from lock down; boredom.

I had a Tyros2 years ago. My all-time favorite was the Technics Kn7000, so you know where I am coming from. I owned the Korg pa800, Pa900, Pa1000, and the Pa4x. One thing I notice after buying a Sx900, is that most of my recordings/sequences were not done on my Korg keyboards; they were done with a Yamaha Psr2100, and a Tyros 2.

Yamaha has the most styles available, and the best support system. The instrument sounds are fantastic. Years aga they compared Yamaha’s sound like listening to a high-quality CD. I agree with that. The Sx900 is giving me a feeling to create. I do not get that same feeling with a Korg product. I no longer play out, so the next best thing is to create. (my opinion)

Prices: Buy a pre-owned keyboard from a reliable dealer, or someone you know. You get so much more for the same dollars. Buy with a return privilege.

Steve, if you were to post one of recordings/sequences, your question would be better answered. We need to know more about you.

Hope this opinion helps, John C.

#493298 - 03/31/20 02:55 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: bruno123]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Steve, if you were to post one of recordings/sequences, your question would be better answered. We need to know more about you.

This Song was written on & was done ALL on the PA4 X except for the Acoustic Guitars & electric lead guitar, maybe one pad in introduction from an old Triton Extreme...

Originally was thinking of grabbing the Yamaha PSX 900 and ALMOST lead the thread with that...LOL...I've only owned Korgs my whole life, never a YAMAHA. I know the Korg OS...

I Give My Life To You

#493299 - 03/31/20 03:00 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Steve,
really happy with my Sx900. Styles suit me better than the Pa4x ones did.

I have my yamaha p121 connected via laptop/midi to Sx900, only because I prefer fully weighted keys, plus it gives me 73 notes vs 61.

Only time I miss Pa4x is when I need a technology fix ( recovering style junkie),
the style editing functions on korgs brilliant, Yamaha not so good.

Try and check one out before you decide. If deciding between Sx900/SX700, there are some differences, so check those out too.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493300 - 03/31/20 03:01 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: Steve A]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By Steve A
So I lost the Superstar model (PA 4X)...Now what do I replace her with?

Potential Lifetime Partner? (TOTL Arranger) Just like a life partner I ain't got the money for a top end anything...I AIN'T LOOKING TO GET LOCKED DOWN

Steady Girlfriend...PA 1000, OR YAMAHA SRX 900..Knowing she ain't the top model but is close enough & better yet, I can afford her...I would have no problem walking away from her

Booty Call, CHEAP & always available........YAMAHA SRX 700 ? YAMAHA BK 5 ? EA7....PA 700 ??? etc etc....

A good used Pa3x, maybe? I had a Pa1000 in the house for a couple of days after owning a Pa1x for about six years. I couldn't do without the VH and the EC-5 I'd been used to, neither could I justify the cost of a new Pa4x (there weren't any used ones around early on). For all intents and purposes the 3x fit the bill for me. Still does after nearly four years of pretty solid road work. Good luck whichever way you go on this.

#493301 - 03/31/20 03:10 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: zuki]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By zuki

Hi Rikki,

Yes, I remember Bachus' info and I haven't checked in at the other forum yet, but no hurry anyway. I have my hands full trying to return the DOA recorder I bought arggg. More interested in recording these days instead of learning another board (although I am interested in the EA-7). I think I'm just bored smile

Hi Zuki,
did you ever get additional styles for your pa3x? I had a library floating round somewhere. I could check and see if I can find it.
Maybe doing some style editing , or something might give you something different to try, while stuck at home.

Sorry to hear your recorder didn’t work out.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493302 - 03/31/20 03:20 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: rikkisbears]
Steve A Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Steve,
really happy with my Sx900. Styles suit me better than the Pa4x ones did.

That is why if the difference is too great between the PA 4X & the PA 1000 I may just wanna go with a different type of girl & go Yamaha 900 PSX

#493304 - 03/31/20 04:16 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Steve,
My main keyboards since 2008 have been the 3 korgs , pa 800, pa3x, Pa4x.
I had a psr s950 during those years, but , never really played it much, I just used it as a source for converting styles to Korg.

I was vaguely familiar with operating system, but, really just learnt the basics to give me what I needed, ie load a style, create a song in step time that I then imported into the korg to create a Korg style.

I decided I actually wanted to start playing, Yamaha styles were the ones that suited me best, so decided to get the keyboard who’s styles I liked, rather than keep on going trying to turn my Korg into a Yamaha.

Took me a couple of weeks to familiarise myself with the Yamaha operating system, because it had changed even from the psr s950 I previously owned.

The korg and the Yamaha do sort of have some things in common .

The one thing I thought I would really miss was my ec5 pedal board. I’m not the fastest at pressing buttons , for variations and fills etc so I used the board.

The Yamaha only has the 2 pedal inputs.

Anyway , the great thing I discovered on the yamahas are the registrations. I was able to save the data I needed for a song on up to up to 8 different registration buttons, and a registration sequence, and I just needed the one pedal, to get me thru a song.

I think over the years on the forums, I came across more Yamaha players that had difficulty adapting to korg’s , than vice versa.

You really should try one first, or find a store that will take returns if you don’t like it, just in case you don’t like it.

You have Yamaha fans, you have Korg fans, some adapt nicely, some don’t.

Good luck with your hunt.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493307 - 03/31/20 05:52 PM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Steve, thank you, voice is excellent, and the arrangement sounds good.

Went to you tube, played three different versions. Each version had the type of sound I hear in the churches I have been in: a lighter sound with strings or choir, a surround type of sound.

No judgement here, which sounds better is up to the person who is recording the song.

My take on what I am hearing:
The Pa4x is a darker heavier sound, The Yamaha is more like what I heard on YouTube. But you are right, there is a learning curve to deal with.
It would be nice to hear your thoughts on this.
John C.

#493339 - 04/01/20 08:28 AM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: Steve A]
Steve A Offline

I know me and it looks like neither the Yammy or the PA1000 will make me happy. I think I may go back to the ole workstation as I have some songs that maybe need a more modern sound....

This ROLAND FATHOM 6 looks GREAT for Songwriting & has all the latest stuff and will see a DAW...

Maybe I can get it for 3K?? I have credit with them for 3K, so I won't be buying used at this time...

Oh it also has rthym patterns I can use...Not an Arranger, but man this is so, so powerful. Just keeping an open mind....Look at how you create songs if you check out the videos...I think I can do this and update the sound for worship

ROLAND FANTOM 6

#493342 - 04/01/20 08:54 AM Re: Drop off from PA 4X to PA 1000 ? Differences? [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Steve A

This ROLAND FATHOM 6 looks GREAT for Songwriting & has all the latest stuff and will see a DAW...

Maybe I can get it for 3K?? I have credit with them for 3K, so I won't be buying used at this time...

Oh it also has rthym patterns I can use...Not an Arranger, but man this is so, so powerful. Just keeping an open mind....Look at how you create songs if you check out the videos...I think I can do this and update the sound for worship

ROLAND FANTOM 6

Steve your best choice yet The NEW Roland Fantom
is a songwriting dream come true.Good luck.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/fantom_series/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online