SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#492735 - 03/25/20 06:04 PM SD7 impressions .... after many years away
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK, if you're following - my EA7 has morphed into an SD7. My initial thoughts are positive, but it's way too early to change my avatar. coffee

Positives:
1-sounds great - speakers are powerful
2-feels great - solid, weighted (but not heavy) keys
3-navigates well, not my fav, but not bad
4-most features you'd want are easy to get to
5-extra mic, or guitar input - YAY
6-intuitive sliders - well labeled
7-2 media players

Negatives:
1-larger than I'd like by 6" - makes it cumbersome to load, and tight on many stages. A case for this beat will make it impossible to fit in my trunk side to side. Don't want another minivan, don't want to slide it in longways. I want it to fit in the trunk.
2-no hard button for vocal harmony - not assignable to standard f/s
3-I'm guessing that most arranger players have WAY more free time with the left hand than the right, so splitting the controls on either side of the screen, while attractive, make it difficult to make some changes that I'm used to doing with my left hand
4-it's a tad heavy, but built very well. It's solid, pro looking, and attractive

These are my impressions after just a few hours with the unit. I spent about 2 hours updating the OS ... you have to do one at a time, and this one needed 5 updates. Future updates will be a snap.
I haven't even started to write a registration, or custom patch, but if push came to shove - I'd take it on a job tomorrow, and sweat through it.

#492747 - 03/26/20 03:49 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

Ketron does sound great..
Many people choose sd40 module with a light midi controller for portabillity

I tried syncing the sd90 with a Genos in store a few weeks ago..
Somehow the syncing didn’t work well, its hard to force the ketron into a slave for time sync.
Als when using guitar tracks, i found there was an unacceptable delay in chord r3cognition.

So from this experience,i would say a ketron instrument with keyboard is a more reliable solution.

For now, just enjoy the sounds and styles

I have info the perfect arranger is comming later this year from Italy...
It was meant to be introduced at Musikmesse, and no, its not a Ketron.

Edited by Bachus (03/26/20 03:53 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#492748 - 03/26/20 04:23 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (03/27/20 04:57 AM)

#492749 - 03/26/20 05:33 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
dud Offline

Loc: israel
ketron has always been excellent in two aspects, drums and bass. regarding the rest of the sounds, It's already a matter of taste and smell. The keyboard sounds a bit like a wedding to me and less a professional sound. But as they say about taste and smell, there is no arguing. For me, the GENOS is the real deal and I haven't tired of it even after about a year and a half.

Edited by dud (03/26/20 05:35 AM)

#492750 - 03/26/20 05:44 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: dud]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By dud
The keyboard sounds a bit like a wedding to me and less a professional sound.

Pardon my ignorance but what does a "wedding" sound like? confused1

#492753 - 03/26/20 06:42 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By dud
The keyboard sounds a bit like a wedding to me and less a professional sound.

Pardon my ignorance but what does a "wedding" sound like? confused1

He probably means it sounds like a live band
And not like a professional studio recording..

Hench why other people love Ketron?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#492754 - 03/26/20 06:59 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

#492761 - 03/26/20 08:18 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I want to respond to Donny's post with the link and JDX's comments. First, I had 2 Ketron SD7 keyboards and both were as reliable as any other keyboards I owned. It frustrates me when folks post about "freezing" experiences with Ketron products. First let me say I did manage to hang up my SD7 - so it does happen. The question is why? What I found was if you downloaded a bunch of styes, which I did, and began trying them some would not work on the SD7. My question is why would any gigging player use anything on a live gig they had not tried at home?? The other thing I discovered is if I got in a hurry and did not let the OS do it's thing it could freeze up. I have heard stories that some owners had a problem with the SD7 and returned it for a replacement because there really was a problem of some kind. Well, I had that happen with a Tyros 5. JDX mentions the manual being on the keyboard - did he try to download one from the website?

Over a 4 year period, using a SD7, a SD40, and a SD90 I have not once had any of them cause me a problem on a live gig - about 600 gigs.

Deane

#492765 - 03/26/20 09:31 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Deane good assessment on the SD7 I also had two SD7's....
sometimes the way you would use it on stage is totally different then what another player would do. I know you usually do not sing or use the VH combined with styles play or smf,mp3 backings etc, and that could be a reason for freeze ups also on occasion when you tax the OS and confuse it with too many duties at one time. Most times these things don't happen but sometimes they do and on stage is not a good time to do a reboot when an audience is looking at you...good to have an alternate device on board also, tablet, laptop to turn to and sing to a track while the reboot is happening which could take a few minutes.
You have to feel totally comfortable when performing with any keyboard. I enjoyed my time with the SD7's & all the other Ketron keyboard arrangers & modules I had which is pretty much all of them except the Audya I had,....
but I just prefer Yamaha to anything on the market at this time.
I hope Dave works it out and keeps it this time around...we'll see.

Take care

#492767 - 03/26/20 10:13 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
2nd day update:

After spending lots of time updating the OS, then practicing some much needed "keyboard distancing" (to clear my head) confused2 I have reached a few conclusions.

1) AJ and his colleagues really do have the needs of the end user at heart. They carefully chose generic, useable, styles and sounds (with great detail, and expression), rather than fill the instrument with vast choices of "maybe I'll use this" type sounds. This makes it appeal to a more traditional type of musician, like me. I play the hits. This is a PLAYERS instrument. In a band, I'd have the best players I could find, and they'd most likely use their favorite, most versatile instruments. Ketron has provided that approach to their styles. There aren't 1000 EPs, and 500 basses. There are LOTS of choices, but the choices represent the cream of the crop in their respective categories. I will focus on bread and butter sounds for almost everything. I want my "band" to sound like a top notch group of players who don't need to switch instruments for every song.
I've said many times that my priorities are vocals-bass-drums then everything else, and I have to be honest - the Ketron bass and drum sounds are among the absolute best, if not THE best. I have played. I still love the live sound of the Korg PA4x, and the SX900 sounds fantastic as I have used it, but there is something extra "in your face" about the Ketron rhythm section. I feel like I have the Wrecking Crew in a box. This makes me sing with a confidence that enhances every performance.

2) I've made lots of decisions based on size, weight, and appearance (wives?? eek2) ... and I seldom place sound quality first. Everything made in the past 10-15 years sounds pretty great. It's not that I don't prioritize sound quality, it's that most of the audiences don't recognize the subtitles of my decisions, and as long as my vocals sound the way I want - the overall mix just has to support that. It comes down to this: if I pick the right tune, play it reasonably well, and sing it from the heart - the people will respond favorably. That's been my mission statement from day one as a performer. I have many tools to use as I perform my craft, and lately, guitar and tracks have been my go to rig. This allows me the luxury of playing the SD7 at home until I designate it's place in my arsenal. That being said - I absolutely love the sound, and I am enjoying playing it. Some of the navigation is not what I'm used to, and some of the limits are making me think more than I like while playing, but all in all, it's a very positive experience, and with time - I'll become more comfortable.

3) Let's talk bulk. In my regular work, I set up twice a week. Once for 4 days, and then a one nighter. Size isn't an issue at either venue, and the weight is manageable while I'm still a young stud. (ahem) bluesbros If work goes back to normal soon, and I am fortunate to have the same schedule, I may choose to start taking the SD7. There's one big perk that Ketron offers to me, and that's a dedicated guitar input that can be used simultaneously with the mic. The on board speakers are strong enough to handle this load, and having the option of using my keys and guitar on the same job appeals to me.

4) What about the mic processor? This is the most paramount of issues, as you know for me. There are a few hoops I had to jump through to buddy up to the harmonizer, and I'm still on the fence as to it's potential, but I'll say this ... I think it's possible that I can tame the beast, and bring just the keyboard, guitar and an ipad and do the job. I will use a small passive mixer to merge the guitar and iPad into the same input. AJ - if you're listening (and I know you are!) a stereo aux in would be a nice addition to this instrument!. Maybe reconfigure the aux out jacks? Just dreaming.

5) Conclusions (after 2 days):
I want to give this a fair chance. I already love the sounds and styles (I use very few)
and it came to me in a financially attractive way. (traded an i30HD plus some $$ for a Tyros2 - traded the T2 for an EA7 - traded the EA7 for the SD7 plus a teeny bit of $ for shipping. I'm into this at a very favorable cost, and I want to see where it goes. My best guess is that I'll be out of work for at least 1 more week (maybe 2?) and I'll spend that time getting to know the instrument. I'll make some recordings, post it live, and we can all get to know it together. Stay tuned my friends ... the music will not be silent!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online