SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#492921 - 03/27/20 11:41 AM Re: Recording advice [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Dave - nice recording of a wonderful song! Love Poincianna! Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By DonM
I give away CDs to customer/fans when I feel it's appropriate. Seems to always generate good will, and most often tip$. I know some of them copy and share them, but that is pretty flattering if they do. They make good memories for the tourists and good feelings for the regulars.

Ditto Don! I usually have them on hand to give out - a good tip gets one and if someone compliments me I usually hand them one in exchange. Only costs me about .70 a piece (minus the duplication labor). Several times I have been told by the restaurant managers "It's so nice that you hand out CDs to some of our customers".

Attachments
CD Freebie.jpg

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#492923 - 03/27/20 11:45 AM Re: Recording advice [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Thanx Randy!

#492925 - 03/27/20 11:45 AM Re: Recording advice [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Xuki... Also in todaus ave of technology CDs are pretty much obsolete vs MP3's too.

#492942 - 03/27/20 01:31 PM Re: Recording advice [Re: zuki]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Zuki,
Don’t know if they ever gave them out for free, but , I was quite happy to buy a CD if I enjoyed a show and cd’s were available.

Maybe being from the older generation , there’s something about a CD vs mp3 or iTunes or Spotify, 1000’s of songs available for download, but sort of not the same as browsing thru a bunch of cd’s.
Same goes for digital camera’s . Used to be fun waiting on your developed photo’s to come back, now you just take 10 shots of the same thing , pick the best, and view the on your phone or computer.

Good luck with your cd’s.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#492943 - 03/27/20 01:46 PM Re: Recording advice [Re: zuki]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Zuki:

I use a BR-864 connected to my 970 via USB (I don't use Midi) and after setting up the song by selecting the style, instruments needed for the session, then adjusting pan pots and individual instrument volumes, I eventually do a couple of dry runs, then record to the 864 and transfer the WAV file to a PC for minor edits. If I don't like what I created, I make adjustments and do the whole thing over again. I get lots of practice that way... LOL!

CD's and USB sticks are not obsolete in the music biz. It's all about who you know for gaining access to the big guns... not to mention needing some talent.

Best of luck with your recording.

----Dave Rice

#492944 - 03/27/20 01:50 PM Re: Recording advice [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, you are a very talented musician and entertainer, no doubt about it. However, I wouldn't give up the NH circuit too hastily - from my perspective it was always where the money was. Sure, private parties, corporate parties, nite clubs and restaurant jobs are more fun, but for the most part, the pay scale is lousy. I was pulling down $125 an hour for a NH job, while the nite clubs and restaurants were paying that much in Baltimore for a 4-hour performance, or $25 an hour for week nights.

I was always booked a full year in advance, lots of doubles and even a few triples on the calendar. Over the years, I managed to put together my retirement accounts, support the family, and buy a 33 Morgan Out Island sailing yacht. I managed to take six months off from work, sailed to the Florida Keys single handed, played music along the way and performed enough in Marathon Key, Florida to pay for my living expenses aboard the boat which included dockage at the city marina.

When I returned to Maryland after a six month hiatus, I went right back to work, same schedule, 7 days a week, doubles and triples. If my health hadn't gone to Hell, I would still be working the senior circuit. The audiences love your performances, the hours are great, no traffic jams to contend with, the pay was consistent and a check came in the mail nearly every day from some corporate headquarters from somewhere on the other side of the nation.

As for the CDs, I gave them out regularly to anyone that asked, and people were always asking when I was going to produce a new one. One year, I gave out 50 Christmas albums. I was told they were played almost constantly when I was not there performing live. CDs are a great promotional product, IMO, and should be included with every mail-out package to perspective clients.

Now, when I performed for a private party, corporate party, or political fund raiser, I charged the same rate - $125 an hour. Toward the end of my career, I jacked up the price for the political fund raisers to $500 - they never blinked! I figured they were charging $1,000 a plate for finger food, and I had to put up with drunks again, so it was worth it.

The only side benefit I got from the nite club and restaurant jobs was a free dinner. Unless you were performing in a tourist trap, tips were rare - locals never seemed to tip, and if they did it never amounted to much. The tourists, on the other hand, readily shelled out 10s and 20s.

Good luck, Jim, on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (03/27/20 01:52 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#492959 - 03/27/20 04:11 PM Re: Recording advice [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By zuki

Thanks Dave, what content did you do on your albums?

It was a straight up paid session. MY client (hairdresser) wanted to give away gifts of his favorite songs to his clients. He picked the songs, paid the session time, the publishing rights, and I made the product. It was all standards and jazzy stuff. Here's a sample done on the 9000pro ... which I often regret selling.

Nicely done, Dave ... I've loved that song ever since I heard Ahmad Jamal's version in the 50's, ... I have not played it in a long time ... have to try it again ...

#492968 - 03/27/20 04:31 PM Re: Recording advice [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Thanks everyone for the great advice and kind comments smile Spent a good deal of time setting up the studio. Have it in 2 phases a) Video/Audio through the Zoom for YouTube b) CD recording through the Boss. Sending everything through the mixer. Ready to roll!!!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#492986 - 03/27/20 08:19 PM Re: Recording advice [Re: zuki]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Good one, let us know how you go.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online