SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#493100 - 03/29/20 07:17 AM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
That looks horrible, Donny. A soggy roll, the beef is sliced too thick, and provolone cheese (wrong). Obviously, no onion or honey dijon mustard, which is a must for a good roast beef sandwich. And, the beef appeared to be boiled or pot-roasted - not smoked. You could not pay me to eat that! smile

Gary cool

gary you don't know what your missing....
go to south philly and try one.

#493109 - 03/29/20 08:37 AM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No thanks, Donny,I don't like South Philly, deplore soggy rolls and I definitely don't want my roll dredged in water thin gravy. If I want a pot roast beef, I sure don't want it on a sandwich. I like my pot roast beef slow cooked with onions, potatoes, carrots, fresh garlic and a bit of parsley. When the beef and vegetables come out of the pot, the remaining juices, which is watery, is then thickened with corn starch, salt and pepper added to taste, and maybe a bit of beef cubes, just for added flavor.

Last night, I grilled some bacon and cheddar flavor Johnsonville Grillers on the gas grill, sauteed a mix of chopped Vidalia Onions and fresh mushrooms in an iron skillet, which was than used to smother the grillers. For seasoning on both, I used a combination of sea salt and white pepper while they were cooking. Added to that some Honey-Bourbon baked beans and a light salad. Hard to beat on a rainy, chilly, spring day - sure glad I had the forethought to build a covered deck so I could grill in nasty weather.

Tonight, it's Maryland style crab cakes and Salt Pond Oysters on the half-shell, along with some homemade potato salad mixed with minced celery and chopped, deviled egg. Love those Salt Pond Oysters! smile smile smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#493127 - 03/29/20 10:40 AM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

Tonight, it's Maryland style crab cakes and Salt Pond Oysters on the half-shell, along with some homemade potato salad mixed with minced celery and chopped, deviled egg. Love those Salt Pond Oysters! smile smile smile

Gary cool

You lost me at the minced celery. Celery is the 'accordion' of foods, along with beets, carrots, squash, okra, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, and a few other veggies my mother was never able to force down my throat. Let's face it, if it's healthy, it can't possibly taste good. Every baby knows that.

smile

chas

#493129 - 03/29/20 10:47 AM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

I'm kinda spoiled. I brine and smoke my own roast-beef to perfection with an electric smoker and hickory chips, have my own slicer and slice it razor thin, then place the beef on an lightly-toasted onion roll, add a couple thin sliced pieces of imported Swiss cheese, then top it with sweet Vidalia onion and some spicy, dijon honey mustard. OH YEAH!

Gary cool

It just struck me you might like to braise beef in JB honey bourbon. That should give it some flavour. smile

#493141 - 03/29/20 12:58 PM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: tony mads usa]

Yep, I do add some JB Honey Bourbon to the brine solution, but there are another dozen ingredients in the brine, which makes a huge difference after 5 days in the brine, in the refrigerator. The brine is stiffed every day to help prevent settling. The next step, however, is smoking the beef, which takes about 2.5 hours and 2 pans of hickory chips during the process. I've been doing this kind of stuff for most of my life, which I guess is why I'm so picky about my roast beef sandwiches.

Chas, chopped celery adds not only a fair amount of flavor, but also some much needed crunch. Sounds like were a tough kid to please when it came feeding you.

All the best,

Gary cool

#493143 - 03/29/20 01:15 PM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Celery, garlic, V onions...next thing you know you'll be putting coconut and cabbage in it. smile

#493144 - 03/29/20 01:24 PM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: tony mads usa]
zuki Offline

I'm drinking beer and eating tamales. Shut in with heartburn lol

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#493145 - 03/29/20 01:35 PM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: DonM]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By DonM
Arby's is actually pretty good, at least the ones I've been to. I love the French Dip.

A little trivia.

Arby’s quotes Forrest Raffel as saying, “We came up with Arby’s, which stands for R.B., the initials of Raffel Brothers, although I guess customers might think the initials stand for roast beef.”

Jerryghr

#493146 - 03/29/20 01:36 PM Re: WHAT THE ... [Re: DonM]

Originally Posted By DonM
Celery, garlic, V onions...next thing you know you'll be putting coconut and cabbage in it. smile

Don, there was a time when I ate Vidalia onions like apples - they are sooooooo good!

Gary cool

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online