SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#493170 - 03/29/20 10:01 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Check box, check box. All brands of arrangers should have a check box that allows the player to specify which inversions are recognized. Everyone would be better off, and no one would be worse off. Not really asking for much here, because at the end of the day these things are 85% software!

Edited by TedS (03/29/20 10:02 PM)

#493172 - 03/29/20 10:17 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: rikkisbears]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Dave
Thank you. You’ve just encouraged me to do a bit of testing in regards to 6th and min7th chords.

My theory on having to play min7th chords in root position ( so that Yamaha recognises it as the min7th) isn’t correct.

Root position plays Am7 chord A C E G
First inversion plays A6 chord. C E G A
Second inversion plays Am7 chord. E G A C
Third inversion plays Am7 chord. G A C E

So guessing I’ll have to be careful not to play a min7th chord in first inversion, or I’ll get a 6th chord, which would mean I’d have the incorrect bass note playing ie I’d have a C playing instead of an A?

If you are playing a 1-6-2-5 progression, it won't make a big difference..90 percent of the people (players) won't notice.

If you are ending a song, with the 6th chord, it is noticed more (play the root position).

#493177 - 03/30/20 03:21 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Fran Carango]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

If you are playing a 1-6-2-5 progression, it won't make a big difference..90 percent of the people (players) won't notice.

If you are ending a song, with the 6th chord, it is noticed more (play the root position).

Thank you Fran.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493178 - 03/30/20 05:32 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Wow, a lot of stuff here, it’s good to know there are other views.

My View: When playing full left-hand chords.
Much of this is based on my guitar when playing rhythm chords. There were times when it was a duo, Sax and Guitar.

1-Turn the rhythm off.

2-Assign an instrument that will add to my right-hand instrument.

3-Set the velocity to sensitive, so you can play soft and louder with the same volume setting.

4-Play the chord progression. The chord progression should be telling a story of their own – with only one thought, supporting the vocal, or solo.

5-Play both together –how does I sound?

6-Turn the rhythm and play.

Because our keyboards are limited in some areas we have to work around those problems.

Rikki, if you are using full left-hand chords the is my suggestion.
Learn the most used chords in the key your are playing.

Key of Cmajor --- In order of importance. C G7 F play them all in the same position. In some cases the instrument you are using is too low, too muddy – raise it one octave.

Key of Gmajor --- G D7 C For G I use D G B
For D7 I use D F# A C (same position)
For C I use C E G

My left-hand sound is important, so I am not concerned with the bass line normally.

If you want more on this subject, let me know, John C.

#493181 - 03/30/20 07:55 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I will add one more thing. Some do not use a left hand instrument,and can get away with more as far as ascending and descending chords are concerned. Piano player,of coarse, know this very well.

#493193 - 03/30/20 09:50 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I will add one more thing. Some do not use a left hand instrument,and can get away with more as far as ascending and descending chords are concerned. Piano player,of coarse, know this very well.

Yup - that's me. I never use a LH sound, because I am playing full chord/melodies with the RH. I use the auto acc parts as a backup to my piano arrangement, which is the best way to compliment my ideas, and vocal choices. Before arrangers, I used a manual synth for bass, and played everything else with my RH, so when the gear got better - I didn't change the approach. I still play manual bass most of the time, but I appreciate the freedom that the auto acc parts give me, and I like how they fill up some of the holes in the arrangement.

Sidenote: In smaller, more intimate settings, I almost NEVER use any auto acc parts. When the instrument is not moving air in significant amounts, the auto stuff sounds less realistic. I switch between auto and manual bass as comfort dictates, but mostly ,y sound is a piano/bass/drums trio with a singer ... and that's worked well for me all these years.

#493201 - 03/30/20 10:48 AM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I hardly ever use lh voices. Sometimes ooohs and aaahs for ballads. I use LH piano for Last Date.

#493229 - 03/30/20 02:42 PM Re: SD7 impressions .... after many years away [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123
Wow, a lot of stuff here, it’s good to know there are other views.

My View: When playing full left-hand chords.
Much of this is based on my guitar when playing rhythm chords. There were times when it was a duo, Sax and Guitar.

1-Turn the rhythm off.

2-Assign an instrument that will add to my right-hand instrument.

3-Set the velocity to sensitive, so you can play soft and louder with the same volume setting.

4-Play the chord progression. The chord progression should be telling a story of their own – with only one thought, supporting the vocal, or solo.

5-Play both together –how does I sound?

6-Turn the rhythm and play.

Because our keyboards are limited in some areas we have to work around those problems.

Hi John,
Thank you for some good ideas. Even though I play full left hand chords, to date, I’ve really only played held left hand pads, strings. Really like to be able to do left hand piano, ( ie not just a held chord) but as you said, arrangers do have some limitations.

Originally Posted By bruno123

Rikki, if you are using full left-hand chords the is my suggestion.
Learn the most used chords in the key your are playing.

Key of Cmajor --- In order of importance. C G7 F play them all in the same position. In some cases the instrument you are using is too low, too muddy – raise it one octave.

Key of Gmajor --- G D7 C For G I use D G B
For D7 I use D F# A C (same position)
For C I use C E G

My left-hand sound is important, so I am not concerned with the bass line normally.

If you want more on this subject, let me know, John C.

I will do John , Thank you.

I signed up for an online piano course a few months back when I bought the p121/sx900. It is proving to be quite helpful.
ie. what to practice. Years ago I spent nearly all my time doing scales, hanon , cerny, which (probably necessary if one wants to become a really good pianist), but I only wanted to entertain myself. After doing hours of that each day, didn’t leave much time for actually learning a tune. Haha.
The course basically suggests what you mentioned. For the song you want to play,
Practice the chords (in different inversions, ) practice “the scale,” and do some exercises to strengthen fingers and build up speed.

Also learning about chord progressions ( one part of the course is 500 songs in 5 days) 500 songs based on 4 chords, had no idea that was possible as I’d never really paid any attention to the chords in a song. I know how to play the chords ( I had learnt how chords were constructed) but, didn’t understand that certain chords are likely to be in a song , depending on the key.

Nearly got sucked back into learning piano, but, takes a lot longer to learn a solo piano piece vs learning a song for my arranger.
Simple split L/R hand ,I could possibly learn a fairly basic version of a song I am familiar with in a couple of days or so, a nice sounding solo piano piece could take me weeks or months.
Think I’ll go for volume and variety. Haha, and hopefully incorporate some of the tips I’m picking from the course into arranger playing.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online