SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49189 - 11/01/03 09:44 AM Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

Loc: England
Out of the these 2 boards,which do you think would be more suited to ballads and love songs and any easy listning type of music?

#49190 - 11/01/03 12:07 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Hi,

Of course I am biased as owner of a KN7000. I have also played the Tyros a little at my retailer. Regarding your specifications it's hard to tell. I know that the KN7000 has some reallly great ballad rythms. I know becasue Ballad, Smooth Jazz, etc. also is my favorite type of music. But another aspect that you didn't mention, but that I like to emphasize: the technical/mechanical quality of the Tyros is nothing compare to the Technics. Tyros stands for toy stuff in that respect. I know about cracks in the casing of a demo model in the shop. Buttons that break out.... Also inside the Technics provides more keyboard for the money. And don't forget the nice SD-card feature: 99 albums of 20 songs each on one 64MB SD card, fast as a hard disk.

Regards, Fred

#49191 - 11/01/03 12:46 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Originally posted by dazart:
[B]Out of the these 2 boards,which do you think would be more suited to ballads and love songs and any easy listning type of music?

After spending the last 2 months with my new Tyros-----
Their set up give the instrument more excitment. The KN 7000 has finer sounds, it's a great deal better. I also like ballads and love songs. If I were to give up one keyboard, it would be the Tyros.
My opinion of the Tyros---It's a fantastic keyboard, but the KN 7000 wins for the finer music.

John C.

#49192 - 11/02/03 12:00 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

I think it could be just a biased opinion because if you go on the arranger keyboard forum they speak very highly of the Tyros compared to the Kn 7000 and when you consider the 47000 posts as compared to the 12000 posts here im still not convinced.
There seems to be a lot of interest in the Tyros with the support you get from various web sites,hence the psr tutural page is excellent.
Which brings me to asking is there any good web sites for the kn 7000 like the tyrus for the good support and lots of like minded musicians?
Regards Daren and thankyou.

#49193 - 11/02/03 12:39 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazart:
[B]I think it could be just a biased opinion because if you go on the arranger keyboard forum they speak very highly of the Tyros compared to the Kn 7000 and when you consider the 47000 posts as compared to the 12000 posts here im still not convinced.

I have played Technics keyboards prefessionally over ten years. From time to time I brought home a Yamaha, one of my first keyboards was a Yamaha psr55, then a psr6300. After reading the arranger forum for six months, I decided to buy a Tyros. It is one fine keyboard. Un-skilled ears have told me---John, that Tyros has more excitment when you play it, but the KN7000 sounds much better.

There is no biased opinion here. For love songs and slow ballads I love to use the grand piano and the trumpet. I have created over seven types of trumpets on my K7. I use the grand piano as is.

When I tried to play the same type of ballads on the Tyros, it fell short. I tried to create a better trumpet, but the Tyros editing system was limited. I do know a good trumpet after playing one professionally for years. The Tyros piano also fell short.

I own both instruments---if you want drive, the Tyros---if you want ballads, love songs, A fine waltz, great big band, jazz, it is the KN7000. If you want to edit sounds, or create a greate sequence, it's the Kn7 by far. Here there is no contest.
I thought of making an Mp3 recording of both instruments playing the same song with the same arrangment---maybe.
I bought a Tyros,brought it to my home and played it for over 2 months to reach this opinion.

I use both forums, I have both of the keyboards, My opinion comes with hands on, not something I heard about, or by sitting at a keyboard in a store, then forming an opinion. I was really hoping the Tyros would be better, that's why I spent all that money.

IMHO---You must sit with both instruments, there is no other way to make a selection of YOUR CHOICE.

John C.

#49194 - 11/02/03 03:08 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dazart:
I think it could be just a biased opinion because if you go on the arranger keyboard forum they speak very highly of the Tyros compared to the Kn 7000 and when you consider the 47000 posts as compared to the 12000 posts here im still not convinced.
There seems to be a lot of interest in the Tyros with the support you get from various web sites,hence the psr tutural page is excellent.
Which brings me to asking is there any good web sites for the kn 7000 like the tyrus for the good support and lots of like minded musicians?
Regards Daren and thankyou.

You ask for peoples opinion and then you accuse them of being biased that all sounds a bit like making mischief.
What other opinion would you expect to receive when visiting a Technics forum.
To the owners of either the KN7000 or the Tyros I would suggest each keyboard has it's own merits otherwise why would they own one in the first place
I suspect you already own a Yamaha and judging from your previous 14 posts on Synthzone you obviously cannot make up your own mind or you are trying to get to full member status quickly.

#49195 - 11/02/03 03:12 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Darren,

I agree totally with John's (bruno123) remarks. I have both keyboards and I've said it before - I made a bad choice when I bought the Tyros in March this year.
Check you email.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49196 - 11/02/03 05:24 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

I have managed to find some mp3s of the kn7000 but those I have listned to the drums department dont seem to cut it.

With the home organ declining market I think Technics kn 7000 would be a good replacement and suited mainly for the older generation,but until I can get to a good technics dealer and try one out for my self I will not decide.

All the advice I can get on this forum will also be a big help.I see it as being a big decision to make especally if one can not afford to keep on changing a keyboard.

#49197 - 11/02/03 05:37 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hi Dazart,
If you are asking an honest question, then there is only one answer. Go to a dealer and play each one for a long enough time to make up your mind. No one can make up your mind for you. If they do, you will always be able to find fault.
Now for my observations.
I have owned my KN7000 for about a year now. Before that a KN2000. I monitor both this forum and the general forum on a very regular basis. From reading the many, many posts on the general forum, I see many Yamaha owners discussing what they wish Yamaha would put into their keyboards.
I find that, except for the vocalizer, the KN7000 has almost all of the items that are looked for by the Yamaha owners. I also see a trend that says "but I can't afford a KN7000".
I believe that what it gets down to is that you pay your money and take your choice and that it depends on what you are going to use the keyboard for. Many of the posts on the general forum are by 'professional' musicians who are singers and not instrumentalists. If you are only going to use the keyboard to supply backup for singing, then any keyboard will cut it because the singing is the key entertainment (hence the gripes about the Technics vocalizer).
Again, make up your own mind - then you will only have yourself to blame if you don't like it.
Just my thoughts,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 11-02-2003).]

#49198 - 11/02/03 06:24 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello Dazart,

In my view, anyone contemplating a choice between the Tyros and KN7000 must compare the extensiveness and quality of the editing suites, for they are key to creating sounds to suit individual tastes. You say the drums of the KN7000 "don't cut it". Then edit them! The KN7000 editing suites are far superior to anything offered by Yamaha. As for your preference for what you want to hear when using drum, string, piano, brass or any other sound group, you are talking personal taste - not a statement of fact. The quality of sounds is a subjective judgement. Therefore, I would never tell you Tyros piano sounds are better than KN7000 piano sounds (though some have made that statement) or vice versa. No one can make such a statement unless there is an obvious difference in sound quality such as that between a child's keyboard and a top-of-the-range arranger keyboard. In the end it is your ears that will tell you whether the sounds you hear are what you want to hear or not. And what you want to hear in the way of sounds is largely determined by the type of music you play.

You commented that the KN7000 is more suited for the "older" generation. You may be right. At least I agree with you. I play real music. I don't listen to or play the rubbish (read noise pollution) that masquerades as music on radio stations these days. In fact, I am certain those who do listen to that kind of music have a hearing problem - tin ears. But that is my personal opinion.

In making your decision which keyboard to buy, I would suggest you take a very close and very hard look at the technology designed into the Tyros and KN7000 that enables users to manipulate sounds to their satisfaction. Besides the KN7000 editing suite, take a look at the KN7000 SD card technology; the additional sound cards available for instant plug-in; the user-friendliness.

Finally, if a manufacturer wants to sell me a keyboard, it better have a fine in-built sound amplification system. I would never buy the Tyros because I am forced to buy an amplifier and speakers to hear it. On top of that, I have to pay more for the keyboard!

Just my thoughts.

Chuck

#49199 - 11/02/03 08:03 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
We've been down this Tyros vs KN7000 Road way too many times.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#49200 - 11/02/03 09:07 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
my post is very simple. I have been a musician for 67 years. I have owned a recording studio for many years. I have owned most of the keyboards since 1972. I always buy the top of the line. I have a KN7000 and a Yamaha 9000.
There is no comparison. The 9000 is for sale and it is supposedly a much better board then the tyros. The 9000 has not been used since the KN7000 arrived. We all make mistakes by LISTENING TO OTHERS OPINIONS!!! Do your homework and research before committing to something that might not fit your needs, once you have defined your needs.EOM
BEBOP

#49201 - 11/02/03 09:12 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
We've been down this Tyros vs KN7000 Road way too many times.

Exactly!
Just look at the guys previous posts and he is obviously incapable of, or doesn't want to make up his own mind.

#49202 - 11/02/03 10:47 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

johnnie.c

I dont need to be judged here from previous posts.
I just wanted to know if peoples opinions were for the Tyros,it seems like they are in the arranger forum.So that is why I took a stab here in the Technics forum.Thankyou.

#49203 - 11/02/03 03:56 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazart:
[B]I have managed to find some mp3s of the kn7000 but those I have listned to the drums department dont seem to cut it.

I guess you know little of this keyboard. The drums can be made to be more than you wish to handle---no poblem---yes, you're right---go listen to a Kn7000.

The one thing some of us have learned is, you will never know what the keyboard is capable of doing until you have it in your home for a while. I am just begining to understand the Tyros after 2 months.

Sorry, no easy way out---the more you dig, the more you will add confusion. 90% is feel, not facts. Most of us tend not to trust ourselves, our first impression, so we search and lose the original feelings.

John C.

#49204 - 11/02/03 04:11 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

Is this subject fun---yes, in a way it is. I feel it's a game, so why not play it and stay within the lines of being nice frienfly people.

On that note, I wish to establish myself as a good judge of what a acustic piano should sound like.

I have spent my working days tuning pianos for many, many years. It's my job to make a piano sound good. My Dad was also a piano tuner.

Why all this, I do not care for the Tyros acustic piano, it makes me unhappy.
That's all, I had to get that out, Hmmmm, I feel better.

Cheers, John C.

#49205 - 11/02/03 04:20 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

To all those who are trying to make a choice between the top arranger keyboards.

a Mp3 recording, I feel does not demo the true sound of the Technic keyboard. Downloading a Technics file--not GM file--does not help since they do not have the keyboard.

If the Technics sequences, both easy play, and step by step record were to be recorded on a CD, how can it get to the people who are searching? Is it only possible by U.S. mail?

John C.

#49206 - 11/02/03 04:50 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Dazart,
The Tyros is a wonderful instrument which seems to be ideally suited for singers who accompany themselves and for the most part populate the Arranger Forum. I don’t think Tyros players would argue that the sequencer and sound editing functions on the KN7000 are more versatile and easier to use. The big question seems to be which instrument has the piano, drums and styles that suit your taste. In the hope that some of these question might be answered, check the KN7000 Demo on the mp3 page of www.kool-keys.com.
Frank

#49207 - 11/02/03 06:29 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi JohnC.

I don't really care for that Tyros piano they use in the OTS settings much either.

I use the warm grand set one octave lower. If that isn't enough you can still tweak it to your satisfaction.

Best
Scott

#49208 - 11/02/03 07:55 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi JohnC.

Yes I know I for one would be interested in a CD that had a pretty good representative sound of the styles and tone of the KN7000. I would be willing to pay for it.

One kind forum member made a CD for me for the KN2600 and the PSR2100 when I was thinking along those lines.

It seems like its the next best thing to actually playing one, but I would have to agree until one can get their hands on one for a reasonable period of time, then its a lot of guess-work.

I am quite certain from my past experience that I would love to have a KN7000 and probably the new Korg PAX1 61 note version from what I have heard about it. If I had those plus my Tyros I think I would also want a strong roadie.

Best
Scott

#49209 - 11/04/03 09:02 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I've tried the KN7000 and I think it's a very good board in many areas . However what makes me hesitate compared to the Tyros is mainly two things.
There is almost no support for the KN7000. I don't know of any commercial or free styles developed for the 7000.
The 7000 doesn't have a music finder similair to Yamaha. The technics music database is not near as useful.

Another extremely strange thing, especially for organ players like me, is that Technics claim it to have easy pedal board support and it have midi pedal input. However the 7000 doesn't have any manual bass funcion and it doesn't have a bass part selector with the L, R1, R2 selectors. Also the drawbars and tabs can not be used for the bass part. How to use it as an three manual organ in an easy and simple way?
Technics this is really stupid !!!

#49210 - 11/04/03 11:02 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

tonkan:
There is almost no support for the KN7000. I don't know of any commercial or free styles developed for the 7000. T
The 7000 doesn't have a music finder similair to Yamaha. The technics music database is not near as useful.

Another extremely strange thing, especially for organ players like me, is that Technics claim it to have easy pedal board support and it have midi pedal input. However the 7000 doesn't have any manual bass funcion and it doesn't have a bass part selector with the L, R1, R2 selectors. Also the drawbars and tabs can not be used for the bass part. How to use it as an three manual organ in an easy and simple way?

Hi, I got my bass pedals a mont or two ago. You can assign any sound to the pedals, then save them in the panel memory, as you would save the rest of your set up.

I can set up 80 panel registration in a short period on my Kn7--I am still struggling trying to do the same with my Tyros. It is not as friendly. But do I like the keyboard.

Styles and sequences are much easier to create on the KN7.

If you are an organ player, I feel you must sit with both instruments. IMHO, your decision will come quickly. There is a big difference between both keyboards for the organ player.

Tonkan, It's a good size investment, take all the facts and opinoins you are given lightly. Go hear, go listen--only then will you be comfortable, will you be happy, will you have made the best decision for Tonkan.

Enjoy, John C.

#49211 - 11/04/03 11:13 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

KN 7000 or Tyros

I know I keep answering these type of questions because I've been there so often looking for someone to give me that info that will make my decision.

I have said this before; You gather all the facts---study them carefully--then put them away. Now, you make your final decision--which is almost always an emotional one. The facts do help, but the emotions decide.

And talking about keyboards is fun--we love em, it's gotta be fun.

Enjoy the day, it's what we got, John C.

#49212 - 11/10/03 05:48 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
jm_bogey Offline

Loc: Montreal,QC, Canada
Always the same question !!!!

What is the best ???
It depend on you ONLY.

I used to have Technics product since more than 12 years. I changed for Yamaha two month ago. Not because it is the best !
Just to have something realy different, after all those years ...

That's all !!!

#49213 - 11/10/03 06:29 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Offline

I used to have Technics product since more than 12 years. I changed for Yamaha two month ago. Not because it is the best !

Jim, You are so right--just to have something different. I totaly agree.
A different look, a different system, and all these changes, do add to your knowledge and playing.

John C.

#49214 - 11/11/03 02:17 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Bluebird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jm_bogey:

Well, Jim, and now when you changed to yamaha, now when you may compare both, what do you think?
What would be your option if you would have to select only a kb?
and why?

What is the better for helping people here? IMO it's not to say: Technics is better, or Yamaha is better.
Nor to say: I don't know, guy, it is your problem: try both kbs, listen them, and select yourself.
People knows nobody is going to select for them. But the most important help here would be: give an honest (subjective, yes, but honest) opinion about pros and cons of both kbs. Then, people will select, of course.

#49215 - 11/11/03 06:12 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
jm_bogey Offline

Loc: Montreal,QC, Canada
Hi,

For me the Technics have overall better sound. Poor Midi playback. Too long loading time (floppy), equal loading time with SD.

Yamaha have very good operating system and good style to fit with all the song I play.
Flash memory could be use for everything instead of just "Custom" part.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online