SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49189 - 11/01/03 09:44 AM Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

Loc: England
Out of the these 2 boards,which do you think would be more suited to ballads and love songs and any easy listning type of music?

#49190 - 11/01/03 12:07 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Hi,

Of course I am biased as owner of a KN7000. I have also played the Tyros a little at my retailer. Regarding your specifications it's hard to tell. I know that the KN7000 has some reallly great ballad rythms. I know becasue Ballad, Smooth Jazz, etc. also is my favorite type of music. But another aspect that you didn't mention, but that I like to emphasize: the technical/mechanical quality of the Tyros is nothing compare to the Technics. Tyros stands for toy stuff in that respect. I know about cracks in the casing of a demo model in the shop. Buttons that break out.... Also inside the Technics provides more keyboard for the money. And don't forget the nice SD-card feature: 99 albums of 20 songs each on one 64MB SD card, fast as a hard disk.

Regards, Fred

#49191 - 11/01/03 12:46 PM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Originally posted by dazart:
[B]Out of the these 2 boards,which do you think would be more suited to ballads and love songs and any easy listning type of music?

After spending the last 2 months with my new Tyros-----
Their set up give the instrument more excitment. The KN 7000 has finer sounds, it's a great deal better. I also like ballads and love songs. If I were to give up one keyboard, it would be the Tyros.
My opinion of the Tyros---It's a fantastic keyboard, but the KN 7000 wins for the finer music.

John C.

#49192 - 11/02/03 12:00 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

I think it could be just a biased opinion because if you go on the arranger keyboard forum they speak very highly of the Tyros compared to the Kn 7000 and when you consider the 47000 posts as compared to the 12000 posts here im still not convinced.
There seems to be a lot of interest in the Tyros with the support you get from various web sites,hence the psr tutural page is excellent.
Which brings me to asking is there any good web sites for the kn 7000 like the tyrus for the good support and lots of like minded musicians?
Regards Daren and thankyou.

#49193 - 11/02/03 12:39 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazart:
[B]I think it could be just a biased opinion because if you go on the arranger keyboard forum they speak very highly of the Tyros compared to the Kn 7000 and when you consider the 47000 posts as compared to the 12000 posts here im still not convinced.

I have played Technics keyboards prefessionally over ten years. From time to time I brought home a Yamaha, one of my first keyboards was a Yamaha psr55, then a psr6300. After reading the arranger forum for six months, I decided to buy a Tyros. It is one fine keyboard. Un-skilled ears have told me---John, that Tyros has more excitment when you play it, but the KN7000 sounds much better.

There is no biased opinion here. For love songs and slow ballads I love to use the grand piano and the trumpet. I have created over seven types of trumpets on my K7. I use the grand piano as is.

When I tried to play the same type of ballads on the Tyros, it fell short. I tried to create a better trumpet, but the Tyros editing system was limited. I do know a good trumpet after playing one professionally for years. The Tyros piano also fell short.

I own both instruments---if you want drive, the Tyros---if you want ballads, love songs, A fine waltz, great big band, jazz, it is the KN7000. If you want to edit sounds, or create a greate sequence, it's the Kn7 by far. Here there is no contest.
I thought of making an Mp3 recording of both instruments playing the same song with the same arrangment---maybe.
I bought a Tyros,brought it to my home and played it for over 2 months to reach this opinion.

I use both forums, I have both of the keyboards, My opinion comes with hands on, not something I heard about, or by sitting at a keyboard in a store, then forming an opinion. I was really hoping the Tyros would be better, that's why I spent all that money.

IMHO---You must sit with both instruments, there is no other way to make a selection of YOUR CHOICE.

John C.

#49194 - 11/02/03 03:08 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dazart:
I think it could be just a biased opinion because if you go on the arranger keyboard forum they speak very highly of the Tyros compared to the Kn 7000 and when you consider the 47000 posts as compared to the 12000 posts here im still not convinced.
There seems to be a lot of interest in the Tyros with the support you get from various web sites,hence the psr tutural page is excellent.
Which brings me to asking is there any good web sites for the kn 7000 like the tyrus for the good support and lots of like minded musicians?
Regards Daren and thankyou.

You ask for peoples opinion and then you accuse them of being biased that all sounds a bit like making mischief.
What other opinion would you expect to receive when visiting a Technics forum.
To the owners of either the KN7000 or the Tyros I would suggest each keyboard has it's own merits otherwise why would they own one in the first place
I suspect you already own a Yamaha and judging from your previous 14 posts on Synthzone you obviously cannot make up your own mind or you are trying to get to full member status quickly.

#49195 - 11/02/03 03:12 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Darren,

I agree totally with John's (bruno123) remarks. I have both keyboards and I've said it before - I made a bad choice when I bought the Tyros in March this year.
Check you email.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49196 - 11/02/03 05:24 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
dazart Offline

I have managed to find some mp3s of the kn7000 but those I have listned to the drums department dont seem to cut it.

With the home organ declining market I think Technics kn 7000 would be a good replacement and suited mainly for the older generation,but until I can get to a good technics dealer and try one out for my self I will not decide.

All the advice I can get on this forum will also be a big help.I see it as being a big decision to make especally if one can not afford to keep on changing a keyboard.

#49197 - 11/02/03 05:37 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hi Dazart,
If you are asking an honest question, then there is only one answer. Go to a dealer and play each one for a long enough time to make up your mind. No one can make up your mind for you. If they do, you will always be able to find fault.
Now for my observations.
I have owned my KN7000 for about a year now. Before that a KN2000. I monitor both this forum and the general forum on a very regular basis. From reading the many, many posts on the general forum, I see many Yamaha owners discussing what they wish Yamaha would put into their keyboards.
I find that, except for the vocalizer, the KN7000 has almost all of the items that are looked for by the Yamaha owners. I also see a trend that says "but I can't afford a KN7000".
I believe that what it gets down to is that you pay your money and take your choice and that it depends on what you are going to use the keyboard for. Many of the posts on the general forum are by 'professional' musicians who are singers and not instrumentalists. If you are only going to use the keyboard to supply backup for singing, then any keyboard will cut it because the singing is the key entertainment (hence the gripes about the Technics vocalizer).
Again, make up your own mind - then you will only have yourself to blame if you don't like it.
Just my thoughts,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 11-02-2003).]

#49198 - 11/02/03 06:24 AM Re: Kn 7000 or the Tyros
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello Dazart,

In my view, anyone contemplating a choice between the Tyros and KN7000 must compare the extensiveness and quality of the editing suites, for they are key to creating sounds to suit individual tastes. You say the drums of the KN7000 "don't cut it". Then edit them! The KN7000 editing suites are far superior to anything offered by Yamaha. As for your preference for what you want to hear when using drum, string, piano, brass or any other sound group, you are talking personal taste - not a statement of fact. The quality of sounds is a subjective judgement. Therefore, I would never tell you Tyros piano sounds are better than KN7000 piano sounds (though some have made that statement) or vice versa. No one can make such a statement unless there is an obvious difference in sound quality such as that between a child's keyboard and a top-of-the-range arranger keyboard. In the end it is your ears that will tell you whether the sounds you hear are what you want to hear or not. And what you want to hear in the way of sounds is largely determined by the type of music you play.

You commented that the KN7000 is more suited for the "older" generation. You may be right. At least I agree with you. I play real music. I don't listen to or play the rubbish (read noise pollution) that masquerades as music on radio stations these days. In fact, I am certain those who do listen to that kind of music have a hearing problem - tin ears. But that is my personal opinion.

In making your decision which keyboard to buy, I would suggest you take a very close and very hard look at the technology designed into the Tyros and KN7000 that enables users to manipulate sounds to their satisfaction. Besides the KN7000 editing suite, take a look at the KN7000 SD card technology; the additional sound cards available for instant plug-in; the user-friendliness.

Finally, if a manufacturer wants to sell me a keyboard, it better have a fine in-built sound amplification system. I would never buy the Tyros because I am forced to buy an amplifier and speakers to hear it. On top of that, I have to pay more for the keyboard!

Just my thoughts.

Chuck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online