SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#491285 - 03/10/20 08:40 AM Knowing when to quit & greatest legs
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I used to love Al Jarreau but I've seen so many cases of singers/entertainers past their prime over-compensating for their diminishing skills by grossly 'hamming it up' or over-using old performance tricks that USED to work (when used sparingly-but now just look ridiculous). But enough about me... smile . Kidding. I probably shouldn't be talking about poor Al since he's gone now but wow, talk about 'over-the-top'. But let's talk about what is REALLY important; Alita Moses' legs. Yeah, I know it's sexist but I'm forgiving myself this one time. She's a good (not great, IMO) jazz singer/stylist but with those gams, she could sound like Roseann Barr singing the Star Spangled Banner and I'd still be lost in fantasy land smile. Oh well, maybe in my next life.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWLt0m3aaRo

chas

#491286 - 03/10/20 09:26 AM Re: Knowing when to quit & greatest legs [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like legs, and breasts, and gizzards...crispy or original, doesn't matter. More enticing than girls these days. smile

#491287 - 03/10/20 09:38 AM Re: Knowing when to quit & greatest legs [Re: cgiles]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nice video....
Here is 2 of my favorite's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOzMWRSxaw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIu1mGVd05s

What talent and Beautiful, the music isn't bad either, Ha, Ha....

Maybe in the next lifetime ...

#491290 - 03/10/20 10:41 AM Re: Knowing when to quit & greatest legs [Re: leeboy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm in love with BOTH of them (the right one AND the left one). Actually, I was always real fan of Al's. I learned about him on one of my trips to Cedar Rapids in the late 70's.

I was working for Square D Company, and stayed at the Roosevelt downtown. They let me play piano in the lobby on the nights I was there for a little change and free bar and meals.

On one trip, the entire town was shut down due to a severe winter storm. I had heard at the Square D factory that day that a young jazz singer had recently moved from a downtown venue that was being torn down to a back street location close to the Roosevelt. I walked to the place, which was owned by a drummer
who looked to be straight out of the Godfather movies. There was a bartender and about 6 dancers just standing around (I was the only customer). In walked Al. He had just finished a Social Work degree and was visiting his dad, who, incidentally, owner the cleaning service that maintained the Square D office area. He had worked all through college with the drummer who now owned this sleazy little joint.

In visiting with this young fellow I had never heard of, he asked the drummer if we could use the B-3 on stage. It was a mess, but it worked, and before I knew it, we were playing a concert for 6 of the ugliest strippers on earth (broke too...no tips from musicians, you know).

The owner's-wife, a marginal jazz singer, whipped up something to eat, and we spent the night having a ball.

In less than a year, Al had his break thru song "We're In This Love Together", still one of my favorites I play almost every night.

A well deserved career of respect and admiration from the jazz community. Timing was right. Like George Benson's "Masquerade",
his song made it to number 1 on the pop charts.

I visited with his dad often on subsequent trips and learned about his continuous bout with severe back problems and many surgeries.

I'm glad we had our brief connection, and place him very high in my list of respected jazz innovators.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (03/10/20 10:45 AM)

#491298 - 03/10/20 12:35 PM Re: Knowing when to quit & greatest legs [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas, right on both counts, although she could afford to eat some carbs ...

#491301 - 03/10/20 12:46 PM Re: Knowing when to quit & greatest legs [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
chas, right on both counts, although she could afford to eat some carbs ...

Well Tony, different strokes..... To steal a phrase from that Billy Joel tune, 'I love you just the way you are'. If she were my wife, I'd put duct tape over her mouth if she tried to go for some pasta smile.

chas

#491313 - 03/10/20 02:33 PM Re: Knowing when to quit & greatest legs [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
laugh2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online