SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#491291 - 03/10/20 11:12 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Below is a video showing how an organ just integrates everything together, with nothing standing out sound wise (Unlike an arranger) but just gelling together to give a very nice sound.

The 2nd half of the video (About 28 mins in) showcases some of the many easy play features (If you are a professional make sure you are sitting down as many of the features will horrify you) that are designed solely for the home hobby player that wants to sound great without the wait.

The organ itself has a superb amp and speaker system designed to envelope the player in a home environment when placed against the wall, (The normal place for a home organ) plus a cabinet/console that those of a certain age (The main target of the organ) will be happy to show.

Combine all this together and the target market is in nirvana, something a multi keyboard arranger just cannot achieve.

Is it overpriced, absolutely, (If you need to ask you cannot afford it) but to get nirvana people were prepared to pay for it, unfortunately for Lowrey these certain players dwindled in numbers, which is why Lowrey is no more. (Another lesson why not to ignore a changing market)

If you still don’t get it, don’t worry, just enjoy the video.

Bill

Direct YouTube link here

Edited by abacus (03/10/20 11:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Added Link

#491452 - 03/13/20 08:58 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Skipped around thru the demo. Very impressive instruments for those who enjoy that Style of home playing with prices to match. I just wonder how big the market is for these anymore. Real Pianos have been taking a hit for years.

#491545 - 03/14/20 04:36 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
When I lived in Indiana, we had a Lowrey dealer a couple hours away. I bought my Yamaha HS8-t from them, as they were also Yamaha dealer. I went to a couple of their high end demos by hot shot players that worked for Lowrey...Sounded OK, not great in all cases...and the performers were REAL good....the idea was to convince a few VERY rich locals (it was a rich area) to buy those $30k + organs so they could sound like the demo guys...they did sell a few. I spend a few hours one day on one, kind of cool BUT Way, way overpriced. They sold quite a few because of the way the marketed and to whom....I went to a concert thing they had once where each of the people that bought one came and played a song....Pathetic, most didn't play at all well and most didn't even know much about all those features...But the good news is they seemed happy to have one! Should have spent the $$ on lessons. So to each his own if you got da money and want it, get it!

That was the market I have experience with, no wander they are gone now...

The sad deal is the Yamaha organs were really great and were affordable...I think marketing was not done too well in most areas of the country.

I wish they would bring back the Yamaha organs.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online