Quote:
Originally posted by Jupitar5:
You can start by telling one to begin a sentence with a CAPITAL letter.Anthony

I've always found accurate solutions to problems more appreciated on a forum

#49025 - 01/20/04 12:24 PM Re: Techplus Club
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Oh DEAR Oh DEER
It was QUITE QUIET before QUIT,and the MINUTE I read that MINUTE I noticed a MINUTE spot. Should we SUBJECT this SUBJECT to a SPOT no one can SPOT or close this SUBJECT with a DOT on the DOT

Now that's plain English or is it my English plane
John

#49026 - 01/20/04 12:25 PM Re: Techplus Club
technicsplayer Offline

nice one...

#49027 - 01/20/04 01:49 PM Re: Techplus Club
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Now I think I really need a new wordbook
and who knows how many lessons...
GJ

Foresten, jeg tror jeg begynner og bruke mitt
eget språk, så kan andre kjøpe ny ordbok
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#49028 - 01/20/04 02:32 PM Re: Techplus Club
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Goodness gracious folks,

We certainly have strayed far from the original topic haven't we? I've followed this topic (as I do all others) with a great deal of interest. Much has been said about the English language (its origin), word definitions, and even the suggestion to go out and buy the "English Oxford Dictionary" to learn English grammar. Alec said, ". . . accurate solutions to problems are more appreciated on a forum." I agree. And I want to add that fact and truth rather than opinion are more appreciated on this forum. With fact and truth in mind, let me make the following comments.

The English language as it is known and used in this day and age is a far cry from the language in its infancy in the 5th century, for it was in the 5th century that the Angles and Saxons, who migrated to the British Isles from present day Germany, Denmark, Holland, and Belgium, began to develop a language which became known as Old English. These early peoples spoke a tongue that was a mixture of Old Saxon and Old Frisian. The Viking settlers spoke a purely Scandinavian language and the Angles and Saxons incorporated a large body of Scandinavian words into the body of their budding language when the Vikings settled in the Isles. So the English language is not English at all ethnically speaking. It is an amalgamation of the Germanic, Frisian, Scandinavian, French, Latin, and Greek languages. It is a language that has been in a state of constant development since the early 5th century. That trend will continue into the future. Those are the facts! If you care to do your own research, may I suggest the Oxford Companion to British History would be a good place to start

And anyone who goes out and purchases a copy of the English Oxford Dictionary will NOT learn anything at all about grammar as alleged. Grammar is the study of the classes of words, their functions and relations in a sentence. A dictionary provides word definitions and other important information including pronunciation, syntactical and idiomatic uses, but will not teach you anything about grammar.

That's the truth!

Chuck

#49029 - 01/21/04 12:02 PM Re: Techplus Club
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:

And anyone who goes out and purchases a copy of the English Oxford Dictionary will NOT learn anything at all about grammar as alleged. Grammar is the study of the classes of words, their functions and relations in a sentence. A dictionary provides word definitions and other important information including pronunciation, syntactical and idiomatic uses, but will not teach you anything about grammar.

I agree fully with what you quote and have read the same article myself also others that appertain to the same subject of which some relate to an age which predates further back in time than you quote.
I feel this is not the place to have a discussion on the very complex subject of English history .
My post was purely pointing out the differences between the correct English and US English of which the main difference being is, the use of incorrect spelling in US English.
Grammar = Words = Spelling = Without the correct spelling of words grammatical structure cannot be attained.
The world authority on words is Oxford English Dictionary.

#49030 - 01/21/04 12:43 PM Re: Techplus Club
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Good Evening Johnnie,

With all due respect to you , Sir, your equation is grossly incorrect. Spelling has nothing whatever to do with grammar. I can misspell all ten words in a ten-word sentence and the sentence will be grammatically perfect as long as my subject, predicate, adjectives, verbs, adverbs etc. are in their proper place in relation to each other within the sentence in accordance with the accepted rules of grammar. You may not grasp what I have written because the words are so poorly spelled, but that does not detract one iota from the correctness of my grammar.

As for the Oxford English Dictionary being the sole authority for the English language, please be aware that in addition to the Oxford version, Webster's Dictionary and Collin's Dictionary are recognized around the world as authoritative sources for the correct spelling and pronunciation of words of the English language. As I said in my earlier remarks, the English language is a developing, and very much alive, language. If the Americans choose to spell a word differently than the version in the Oxford book, so be it. It does not make the American version wrong - just different.

And as you suggested, this is not the forum for a discussion of history, nor is it a forum for the discussion of the Englsih language. But since you and others raised the issue in the first place, I simply wanted to state the facts and truth rather than personal opinion as many have done here. And with that I end any further comment on the matter.

Yours Graciously,

Chuck

#49031 - 01/21/04 02:42 PM Re: Techplus Club
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
Good Evening Johnnie,

As for the Oxford English Dictionary being the sole authority for the English language.

If the Americans choose to spell a word differently than the version in the Oxford book, so be it. It does not make the American version wrong - just different.

Dear Chuck
You go to great lengths attempting to be a grammarian by trying to teach me the rules of grammar, but you cannot even read my words correctly, had you have done so you would not have misquoted me.
Nowhere did I say that Oxford English Dictionary is the
sole authority for the English language I said
quote" The World authority on words is Oxford English Dictionary "unquote, and it is recognised as such.I own all the Dictionaries that you quote also Longmans.
I also take issue with you on your thesis that if an American spells a word I.E.color instead of colour then in English it cannot be considered to be spelt correctly,
but I agree it is different.
Yours Sincerely
Johnnie
PS I will now let this thread rest in peace

#49032 - 01/21/04 03:23 PM Re: Techplus Club
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please do Johnnie, I am not here for an english lesson.

Fran in Florida

#49033 - 01/21/04 05:00 PM Re: Techplus Club
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
But Fran, I find it rather fascinating. Sure beats the ‘my keyboard is better than your’s’ syndrome found on other forums. Don’t you think?

Just plain Doug who shaded his english on the farm.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online