SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#489838 - 02/20/20 11:18 PM how does a guitarist strum - I forgot the video
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
The Letter...a really great song that still has a lot of mileage left in it.

Can anyone tell me how you would replicate the strums he's doing here on a keyboard? When a guitarist "strums" and hits all strings are the notes in the same order as a keyboard.

I'm assuming you just take that beginning A minor chord and roll it on the keyboard? But why does the guitar chord sound different than playing the same notes on a keyboard? Much bigger...more exotic sound.

I know a "pad" would give me the strum but I want to PLAY it. EXAMPLE: starting at :59.

=================================================

NEXT DAY: I forgot to include the video:

#489839 - 02/20/20 11:49 PM Re: how does a guitarist strum this song? [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#489853 - 02/21/20 05:20 AM Re: how does a guitarist strum this song? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

#489861 - 02/21/20 07:18 AM Re: how does a guitarist strum this song? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

I forgot to include the video:

#489878 - 02/21/20 11:11 AM Re: how does a guitarist strum this song? [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That strum is
Down-down-up-up-down-up, so you'd voice the down strums (on Am chord) as a quick 6 note arpeggio of (low to high) E-A-E-A-C-E, and the up strums would be reversed.

#489885 - 02/21/20 11:54 AM Re: how does a guitarist strum this song? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
That strum is
Down-down-up-up-down-up, so you'd voice the down strums (on Am chord) as a quick 6 note arpeggio of (low to high) E-A-E-A-C-E, and the up strums would be reversed.

Dave...I went to "settings" on the Youtube video and cut the speed in half. I listened closely and discovered the full sound comes by playing an "open chord?" And you said it starts on an E (the lowest string?) and it plays over two octaves?

So, theoretically, if I get a good guitar patch I can sound just like that on The Letter and Stones songs and others?

#489886 - 02/21/20 11:57 AM Re: how does a guitarist strum - I forgot the video [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

From all the above...

I prefer the Roland Super natural guitars..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#489894 - 02/21/20 12:21 PM Re: how does a guitarist strum - I forgot the video [Re: Mark79100]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The best way for you to replicate strumming on a keyboard is to have a keyboard that has a dedicated “guitar mode”, or a keyboard that has various strumming arpeggios that can also be edited. Guitar voicing on keyboards can be really tricky. Often we’ll play something that sounds good, but isn’t actually physically possible on the real instrument.

When using a keyboard the ideal way is to use the left hand to trigger a chord while the right hand has specific strumming algorithms assigned to several keys (this will even include nuances such as palm muting, harmonics, body taps, and slides. Honestly, without a dedicated guitar mode found on some models, it will be a struggle replicating some styles of guitar playing.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (02/21/20 12:28 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#489925 - 02/21/20 09:09 PM Re: how does a guitarist strum - I forgot the video [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
That strum is

Dave...I went to "settings" on the Youtube video and cut the speed in half. I listened closely and discovered the full sound comes by playing an "open chord?" And you said it starts on an E (the lowest string?) and it plays over two octaves?

So, theoretically, if I get a good guitar patch I can sound just like that on The Letter and Stones songs and others?

Hmmmm .... I didn't listen to every measure, but if they refer to "open chords" that means the guitarist lifts his left hand up off all strings for a certain amount of time. The open strings on a standard tuned guitar are E-A-D-G-B-E.

#490381 - 02/26/20 11:23 PM Re: how does a guitarist strum - I forgot the video [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Guys....I wanted to keep this topic alive so back to the top of the charts it goes.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in comments here. After Donny's post I realized there are other resources also. I went here...

GOOGLE: how to make a keyboard sound like a guitar

...and I also proceeded to go into OVERLOAD. Decided I'm just going to have to leave this topic on the shelf until I have time to focus. Working full time on the left hand arpeggios is taking all my concentration.

Dave... then what would be the low to high strum of an E7 chord right after the Ami?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online