SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#489507 - 02/17/20 12:36 PM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
Crossover Offline

Nice mixture. The tune around minus 13:30 was funny and bizarre, sounds like from Francesco Bontempi or similar...
The drums sound very real and live, as others have pointed out. The brass ensemble not so much, sounds like arranger/synth. Clarinet was nice (just to be beaten by V3 Sounds).

#489520 - 02/17/20 05:17 PM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi John,
Really very nice. I am working on my SD40 also to get things up to par for my gigs.
Keep them coming.

Deane

#489529 - 02/18/20 01:05 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: DannyUK]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By DannyUK

I am experimenting with the style modelling feature and it's simply superb, the results can be stunning, how effortlessly you can transform a style to make it sound so different and so new whilst still retaining the high sounding quality you'd think it's just another factory default style.

As you quite rightly mentioned John I have that setup you mentioned of the Ketron Korg and Yamaha combo but now finding out how good the SD7 really is feels like having the three a little too overpowering, I think a combo of the two (SD7 + another) would be the perfect combo.

Yes the style modelling is quite an extensive and creative addition to this Ketron keyboard, be it time consuming as well!
And you are absolutely right, a combo of two arranger keyboards of a different make should suffice for most of us, but if you see the prices of secondhand lower models one might easily be tempted to add a third keyboard. The thing is that if you have too many you may start wondering which one to play next, or, as it happened when I had six guitars on the wall, it turned out that I basically played virtually all of my stuff with only two of them, evidently my favourites. Wonder how Bernie is coping with this "dilemma" .
Anyway arranger keyboard players these days cannot complain and are simply spoiled for choice, so just make the most of it !!!

regards,
John

#489530 - 02/18/20 03:45 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The thing is that if you have too many you may start wondering which one to play next, or, as it happened when I had six guitars on the wall, it turned out that I basically played virtually all of my stuff with only two of them, evidently my favourites. Wonder how Bernie is coping with this "dilemma" .

Hi John,
What dilemma? It is not that I bought my gear willy nilly without careful consideration. My Audya eg, is 12 yrs old and has given me thousands of hours of enjoyment and a few bucks. After awhile,as new features come out,I get the itch. The Hammond and SD4 are specialized,and the SX900 replaces my S970,used on smaller gigs when speakers can suffice. The SX900 is becoming more of a main board,however. The Pa4X is my powerhouse and main board.

Would I have been better off sticking to one keyboard? Naw,I am too easily bored,and not inclined to dig deep into any one of them. I love setting them up and getting them gig ready. Now,I have several different rigs,all set up to sound a bit different,even with some of the same core songs.

I spend so much time on so many musical projects,I never get bored with my toys. Jack of all trades and master of none,but I get by fine.

Bernie

Edited by Bernie9 (02/18/20 03:47 AM)

#489531 - 02/18/20 04:35 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
What Bernie just said is that there is more way to enjoy what we are doing with music and keyboards. AND – what is a dilemma to some, is enjoyment for him.

The man loves what he is doing. I have been to his home a few times, and left with one of his keyboards, or some new knowledge that helped. I am not sure if he knows this; – I learned to set aside money for buying my desires in music equipment in my latter years.

John C.

#489533 - 02/18/20 06:11 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: bruno123]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Bernie,

It was not my intention to be in any way disrespectul to you as you must know for sure. I was merely referring to the fact that having many guitars, keyboards or whatever you have to make choices and, in my instance, I ended up with playing two out of six guitars. You seem to be using all of your keyboards to your heart's content, that much the better. As long as they give you joy and creativeness that is all that matters.
It is remarkable to notice that owning the boards that you do the SX900 is turning out to be your favourite for the moment.
But then again, it is all a matter of taste. As mentioned so often here there are no poor keyboards anymore. they all shine in their own ways and serve different ears and audiences.

regards
John

#489535 - 02/18/20 06:41 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
DannyUK Offline

I don't think it matters how many instruments, keyboards or whatever you own and use (or even don't use). At whatever level, you can certainly find enjoyment and fulfill your desires in similar ways. But I also think that those here who are professional, that gig/perform / compose, write or make a living from using these instruments deserve the most credit and have the most reason to find the correct balance and combo because you are pleasing not just yourself but also the crowd, you want your performance to sound as perfect as possible.

#489543 - 02/18/20 08:43 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John,
Love you man. I didn't misunderstand you,but used a little tongue in cheek responxe.

#489776 - 02/20/20 01:22 PM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: Bernie9]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Haven't checked in for days here. Always liked their sounds and rhythms. even with the earler sd series. Had an sd3 that I loved, may return to Ketron in module form someday.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online