SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#489769 - 02/20/20 01:02 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski
Man! How many times are we going to go over this topic? Fact is the arrangers today can be used in so many different ways. If I wish and am capable I can just use it as a single kb playing it as a piano or organ. My only real complaint about arrangers is the fact that so few use any variety in the drum patterns. Back in the days of playing organs we would pick a drum pattern and ude it all the way through the tune. It sounded repetitious because it was. We've come a long ways but 4 fills per pattern is still repetiious. It really comes down to how well does the performer play, doesnt' it?

Arranger style repetition is the real downfall... Hopefully in future models this will be rectified and redesigned to eliminate the automatic syndrome..

Edited by Dnj (02/20/20 01:02 PM)

#489774 - 02/20/20 01:17 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By ekurburski
Man! How many times are we going to go over this topic? Fact is the arrangers today can be used in so many different ways. If I wish and am capable I can just use it as a single kb playing it as a piano or organ. My only real complaint about arrangers is the fact that so few use any variety in the drum patterns. Back in the days of playing organs we would pick a drum pattern and ude it all the way through the tune. It sounded repetitious because it was. We've come a long ways but 4 fills per pattern is still repetiious. It really comes down to how well does the performer play, doesnt' it?

Arranger style repetition is the real downfall... Hopefully in future models this will be rectified and redesigned to eliminate the automatic syndrome..

Hi ,
if one was actually capable of programming a style, no need for a korg to be repetitious .
There are 6 chord variations (cv’s) for each of the 4 variations , and 2 cv’s for each of the fills. That means you can have 6 different patterns for each of the variations, each one is assigned to a different chord type, so when you play a maj chord , you get pattern 1, play a maj7th chord you get pattern 2 etc.
In total up to 24 patterns for the 4 variations. Plus they can be up to 32 bars long.
Really no need for a style to be repetitive .

Korg doesn’t program the styles to use all the cv’s available, but it can be done.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#489775 - 02/20/20 01:20 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Rikki can you show us some examples of what you're talkin about sounds interesting

#489783 - 02/20/20 01:44 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow! Express ANY opinion that someone perceives as anti-arranger and out comes the knives. All I said or alluded to was that there is perceivable difference in (good) live music and music produced by style playing on an arranger keyboard. Apparently that was enough (although I initially only +1'd Donny's post). But I guess the fact that it was ME was reason enough to rally the troops (through a distortion of what I ACTUALLY said). I guess I should be used to it by now. If I'm not outright praising arranger keyboards, then somehow that translates into 'I'm an arranger hater'. It's really getting kind of tedious, the trotting out of all the reasons why Arrangers are the greatest thing to come along in musical history (maybe they are, for someone without the desire, ability, talent, time, or dedication, to learn an instrument that won't play itself). I have owned at least 6 or 7 arranger keyboards or modules and still have 4 in my studio. Does that sound like someone who 'hates' arrangers? I just don't revere them the way some here do and I freely admit that as I have gotten older, my interest in them has waned considerably. But my feelings about ME PERSONALLY using them professionally has not changed over the years and saying that playing an electronic organ is the same thing is absolutely ludicrous and the person who said it knows that.

What I don't understand is the unusual level of hostility towards anyone who has an opinion that differs from that of the 'forum elite'. Always the same tired arguments; "I love my -------", "this is an arranger forum" - implying 'why are you here?', etc. Arguments that rarely have anything to do with the subject at hand and only meant to stir up animosity against the poster. This forum is like a huge popularity contest with different levels of permissions for what one is allowed to say. Someone can post something and nothing is said; if I, chas, do a +1, then it immediately becomes blasphemy. Oh well, luckily I've learned not to judge society by small subsets of it. I still have several good friends here and even more friendly casual acquaintances. After all these years, it is still interesting, educational, and entertaining to participate in this forum and although you won't find the best musicians here (let's be honest, folks), what you will find is a more realistic microcosm of the society we actually live in (as opposed to the worlds of Julliard and Berkelee). Ok, now back to music.

chas

#489785 - 02/20/20 01:55 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have no problem at all, as everyone knows, with appreciating good music, no matter how it is made. The thing that bothers me is, "this is good music, so much better than arrangers". It may well be, or may not be, but why keep stirring the fire?
Not picking on you Chas, just the general tone of things lately. I've always said, I would love to come and learn some organ licks from you.
Maybe I need a break. Anyway, gotta go to work the next four nights, thanks to my arranger. smile

#489791 - 02/20/20 02:03 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas don't so hard on yourself...you make good points here and there within. BUt it does show you the level of heartfelt love for the arranger keyboard no matter how it is used as a versatile instrument. Weather you embrace it, play it, or look at it agaist the wall in your garage it is here to stay, and the throngs of fans worldwide will play them for a long time coming. I personally get what your saying, but
I think and act differently in regards to what tools I use to make music all these years. Yes I will fluctuate, audition, listen, try again, listen again, keep for a while, dig in, edit, tweak, buy, sell, buy sell again and again, ignore what others think, try to help other musicians the best I can, as it's my choice alone to accept my path.
The staunch defense against anti arranger thinkers shows you
how strong the love for them is and I respect that.
Let's all get along with what we choose, play, and enjoy,
after all we are all making music in some way right?
Only thing that always annoyed me is that with so myc defense of an instrument there is always minimal sharing by others music to show what they are talking about on this forum....it helps us all confused1

carry On

Ps: My next venture will be to go audition the Ketron SD9....
why? I don't know.. confused2
just sayin'.. wink

Edited by Dnj (02/20/20 02:29 PM)

#489793 - 02/20/20 02:06 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I'm gonna go with UD on his post about whether or not he is playing, or the keyboard is doing all the work and he's just along for the ride. That keyboard of mine doesn't play a damned thing on it's own - period!
Originally Posted By cgiles
Good live music is wasted on those that can't tell the difference.

chas [quote]Good live music is wasted on those that can't tell the difference
Chas, that is what you said - I disagree. Nothing but a disagreement about what you perceive about our audiences. Imagine 50,000 Jimmy Buffett fans who spent hours waiting to see one of his concerts being told they're not smart enough to know good music when they hear it. Oh Hell, I'm just wasting my time here. Gonna go put some steak on the grill - I'm pretty good at cooking. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#489799 - 02/20/20 02:13 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Donny, I'm gonna go with UD on his post about whether or not he is playing, or the keyboard is doing all the work and he's just along for the ride. That keyboard of mine doesn't play a damned thing on it's own

confused2

#489810 - 02/20/20 03:27 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Good live music is wasted on those that can't tell the difference.

Chas, that is what you said - I disagree. Nothing but a disagreement about what you perceive about our audiences. Imagine 50,000 Jimmy Buffett fans who spent hours waiting to see one of his concerts being told they're not smart enough to know good music when they hear it. Oh Hell, I'm just wasting my time here.

Yes Gary, ...tell the difference BETWEEN LIVE MUSIC AND MUSIC PRODUCED BY STYLE-PLAYING ON AN ARRANGER!!! What the heck does that have to do with Jimmy Buffet? Does he play arrangers? ....or was that just for dramatic effect. As long as you bring it up though, yeah I would question the musical taste of anyone standing in line for hours to hear Jimmy Buffet. But hey, that's just me. He's pretty rich so there must be a lot of non-music lovers out there smile smile.

chas

#489811 - 02/20/20 03:30 PM Re: You Only Need Three... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
That keyboard of mine doesn't play a damned thing on it's own - period!
Gary cool

Where did I read something like that? ... Oh yeah:
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
... If I'm not playing, the KB only sits there and collects dust ! ...

Great minds think alike, Gary ...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online