SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#489321 - 02/14/20 03:49 PM Re: Going back 10 years [Re: Fran Carango]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Fran what's the whole story behind the Prelude / GW-8?

They had D-Beam and a sequencer. They also added some cool features like a true chord "lock" activated by foot pedal (so you can play as many keys as you want and not worry about changing the recognized chord.)

But the manuals make no mention of Adaptive Chord Voicing (which allows the style engine to transpose chordal parts with close voicing.) This important feature was introduced in the G-70, carried through the E-50, E-80 etc., disappeared on the Prelude / GW-8, and then re-emerged on the BK's!

Prelude Version 2 added an on-board style composer. But there is no provision to add an "Alteration Mode" event, which specifies how this^^ transposition is to take place. I never tested one of my custom E-50 styles these boards to see if it "chokes" on the Alteration Mode message, or how it reacts.

So it seems to me like the Prelude and GW-8 were designed by a whole different team. Their spec is about equal to the BK-5 IMO, which is to say, a lot of punch in a compact arranger. Not better or worse, just "different." But how did this come to be?

Edited by TedS (02/14/20 03:51 PM)

#489360 - 02/15/20 09:48 AM Re: Going back 10 years [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Picking up my old Prelude next Sat at the jersey shore..

#489362 - 02/15/20 10:06 AM Re: Going back 10 years [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Good luck with it Fran I know you miss it..
The Roland KB collection is now intact once again.. keys

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online