SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#489081 - 02/11/20 08:37 AM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Stephenm52]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jim, the SD-5 is still in the box you delivered it in Never been out of the box or turned on.

The battery in my 1994 Solton MS 60 just died and I am considering using the SD-5.

Ya just can't rush into these decisions (LOL).

Best personal regards,

Russ

#489096 - 02/11/20 01:32 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Thanks Mark. I wish I had better recording gear when I did Nightingale. I'm happy with the performance, but not so much with the tech end. Too much sibilance, and the EQ just isn't right. I've remixed it over the years, and still can't seem to get what I want. What amazes me is the tracking quality of the Digitech VR harmonizer - that recording is probably 30 years old, and gear has improved so much since then, but I'm really impressed with how the harmonies followed my vox on that track.

Dave, love your harmony work! How do you rate the 4X on board harmonizer in comparison?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#489099 - 02/11/20 02:37 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By zuki
How do you rate the 4X on board harmonizer in comparison?

The TC unit in the 4X is as good as any of the harmonizers I've ever used! (The Voicelive3 has more voices, but it's not better - just more prolific)

#489100 - 02/11/20 02:52 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Great - thanks

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#489103 - 02/11/20 02:56 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Korg TC tracking is top notch also, that is the main downfall
of Yamaha's VH2. Digitech vr VH units were also very good in tracking and sound.

#489114 - 02/11/20 10:19 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

Here's a few samples I've made on different instruments over the years.

Nightingale Sang on 9000Pro with digitech VR harmonizer, and

All done in real time - hope you like 'em!

Dave...a couple of songs from Synthzone members that were keepers for me (stored on my hard drive) was your "Nightingale" from a few years back and Donny's "We'll Meet again." I happen to really like those WWII songs.

But you did a brilliant job on "Nightingale"....great arrangement, harmonization, creativity. One of the best you posted on here over the years.

Mark

Dave....I like the way you moved around with the melody line...and the chords you used to feed the harmonizer...and other things in your Nightingale version. I'm curious. You said you played it "in real time." How long did you have that arrangement floating around in your head before you recorded it? It's really a great take on an old song. I'm very impressed with your creativity.

#489135 - 02/12/20 06:32 AM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
" How long did you have that arrangement floating around in your head before you recorded it? It's really a great take on an old song. I'm very impressed with your creativity.

Mark, Thanks again for your very kind comments. That arrangement is based on Manhattan Transfer's recording. I didn't try to copy it, but I definitely tried to mimic the feel. They are way "up there" in my harmony professors. Earlier influences include the Four Freshman, The Beach Boys, and more recently, Pentatonix. Addressing 4 parts is very different than standard 2 part harmony, like the Everly Brothers, or Simon & Garfunkel. The lead voice needs to be simpler, less affected (vibrato, scoops etc) and dynamic expression is crucial to the believability. It's very much like working the expression pedal on an organ - the up, and down regulation of the volume is as important as the subtle bends on a guitar string ... it's happening ALL THE TIME in some way. This is why many singers avoid using compression on their vocals. Misuse can severely affect dynamics.

#489138 - 02/12/20 07:32 AM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave, I read all your posts. Sometimes they are annoying, sometimes you’re a pain in the A--S, but after listening to your music – your singing, the rest does not exists.

Great job. Enjoyed.

I am not suggesting that you change anything, just sharing.

In The early 80’s I left my band and started doing jobs with my guitar and a drum machine. I did not like it’ After playing with a band it sounded empty. I added midi to my guitar and plugged it into a Yamaha keyboard. the guitar was controlling the chord changes. The sound was full again – big room, small room, I was able to cover the job.

Dave, I admire your thinking, it’s out-of-the-box thinking.
Freedom Freedom Freedom.

Take care, post more songs, John C.

#489141 - 02/12/20 08:14 AM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Dave, I read all your posts. Sometimes they are annoying, sometimes you’re a pain in the A--S, but after listening to your music – your singing, the rest does not exists.

I hear ya, John - sometimes my mouth starts before my brain is fully engaged. rolleyes
Sorry for the annoying, A**H*** posts. I'll try to minimize those, but glad you like the tunes!

#489175 - 02/12/20 02:48 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Outrageously good. You are flying in some pretty great company there, Chas. Thanks for sharing.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online