Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#488908 - 02/09/20 04:13 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

That's cuz your big schnozz blocks the view of the whole keyboard.
sofa

Uh oh! I know a Philly guy isn't going to take that lying down smile.

chas

laugh2 Well, I THINK Dave is 1/2 Italian, so he may get away with it ...

#488917 - 02/09/20 08:03 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: Torch]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That'sa right! Gaelic & Garlic here!

#488918 - 02/09/20 08:09 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
laugh2 Our pastor sponsors a dinner for St. Patrick and St. Joseph and calls it "Gaelic and Garlic Night" ...

#488920 - 02/09/20 09:10 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: Torch]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I always thought of Garlic as a sex deterrent.

chas

#488921 - 02/09/20 09:21 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

chas

Not if your partner likes it too!

#488926 - 02/09/20 10:13 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: cgiles]
Torch Offline

chas
Actually the opposite; Buddhist monks stay away from garlic.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#488927 - 02/09/20 10:20 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: cgiles]
Torch Offline

Beautiful guitar work. Several famous jazz players, notably Jimmy Smith (organ) and Errol Garner (piano "Misty") didn't read music, but most of today's top jazz players do. As a general rule, most 'ear' players tend to play some of the simpler forms of music such as blues, folk, and rock. Very few become 'world-class players' and almost to a man they'll tell you that they wished that they could read. Of course 'reading' means different things to different people. Reading a 'fake sheet' and playing a simple Presbyterian hymn from a standard sheet are two different things. IMO, the best musicians can do both.

chas
Indeed, I heard ‘ear’ players saying that they wish they knew how to read music. I had been what Jazz musicians call a "note reader" for a long time. I think that's why Jazz has been very elusive for classically trained musicians.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#488929 - 02/09/20 10:26 PM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: Torch]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Per request.
Live on the job using Korg PA4X.
Rainy Night in Georgia

#488937 - 02/10/20 12:42 AM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: Torch]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I do both...."read" and "play by ear." Most of you know I've been working hard on the piano for the last six months with certain practicing methods. One of the exercises I do is to take any song and arrange it in your head as you're playing it. i.e. One note at a time. After each note decide what you want the next note to be in your arrangement (or SHOULD be according to the melody). and....guess at where it falls on the keyboard. Then play the note and see if you nailed it.

I originally did it just for practice, but after months of doing this....a pleasant surprise. I found that my pitch recognition has improved 100% (well, maybe 99&44/100%). Paul (montunoman) said it in one of his posts....INTENSE CONCENTRATION is what makes it work!

#488938 - 02/10/20 01:08 AM Re: Playing by Ear [Re: Torch]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Almost forgot....

Torch...this is an absolutely brilliant performance. I watched it a few times for a few reasons.

It's one of my favorite Christian songs.

To observe the clever way he arranged it for guitar.

To try to figure out what sounded out of place. Turns out it was the lack of "spacing" of notes...breaks...style.

One of the things that, thankfully, was passed on to me over the years by a senior musician was..."learn the words to a song before you learn the song." I'm wondering if the gentleman "learned the words" because "learned lyrics" lead to great "phrasing."

Eva Cassidy is the greatest example I know of. Doesn't rush her songs. She milks "Over the Rainbow" with every consonant and vowel that comes out of her mouth. Works the words and feels her songs through and through right down to the bone.

I just really love this song, and so, naturally I was also singing it in my mind. But it was difficult to keep up with the pace and feel the emotions this tune awakens in you. I'm curious...does he just play the song without understanding what the song is actually about, do you think?

Either way, I reiterate. An absolutely brilliant, beautiful creative and engaging performance he did!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online