SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#488773 - 02/08/20 07:37 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

The EA7 has 6 pads (PA4x has 4), The EA7 has 7 assignable buttons (PA 4 or less?), EA7 sampler is easier to use, EA7 "makeup tools" are unmatched. And Korg still can't touch the "jazz Scat" smile.

Tell me again why the PA4x is worth 3x the price shocked

Let me answer that question for you.. PA4x has a 16 track sequencer, harmonizer, and separate outs...All top models should have these, but at what cost frown

**Well, first - having more of something doesn't mean it's better - 4 pads and 3 assignable buttons are plenty for most situations, especially when you
Add to that: Real time sliders for most parts that double as drawbars, and the 5 button footswitch that adds assignable features

**The touch screen is almost worth the price jump alone - plus, there's a button for most features on the screen if you need a different approach.

**2 song players - real time, hardware based fade from song to song

**Realtime edits on the fly - even while a pattern is playing. There's almost no edits that can't be made while playing. Never had a glitch doing this.

**Solid construction - better housing - more roadworthy. (I do miss the speakers, though)

**since I don't know what "makeup tools" are - I guess I don't miss them.

C'mon, Fran - this is a Cadillac to Malibu comparison. Both cool, but the Caddy has so much more to offer, and is soooooo much more comfy.

#488776 - 02/08/20 08:01 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey I paid as much for my 1969 SS396 Chevelle as I did for my Cadillac De Ville smile

Speaking about the Korg touch screen, it may cost as much to replace the screen as the cost of an EA7 grin

I don't like the way the Korg OS works with the screen. The pop ups drive me nuts.. eek

The Roland BK9 and EA7 concept of two screens has merit.. instead of pop up screens that cover the previous screen, it switches the content to the second screen and does not disturb the current(previous) screen. The work flow is better with the two screens. Of course you can't just read about it, you have to learn how it works smile

Edited by Fran Carango (02/08/20 08:15 AM)

#488779 - 02/08/20 08:04 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

#488784 - 02/08/20 08:18 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Yeah Bill, an arranger module that would be a step up from bk-7m is on my wish list too. Hoping against hope that Roland go that way. They have the content(well.. IMHO almost smile ) ; only if they upped their game by offering more supernatural acoustic instruments.. much like the GenOS SA2 voices.

Cheers,
Jez

#488785 - 02/08/20 08:18 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

I agree .. that is the smartest post in a long time grin

#488786 - 02/08/20 08:21 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Fran Carango]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Great review Fran. Of course, the E-A7 is solidly MOTL while the PA-4X is TOTL so comparisons must consider that. At the time, I wanted the harmonizer and better screen so I opted for the PA-900. Now that I am not playing out, as I had anticipated I might, only the screen bothers me. Roland OS and makeup tools are unmatched to me and the price is right. Pros like Dave and Don M. make a living playing music so they can justify the TOTL boards. If I had to choose now, I'd try the Ketron SD7 (although I think the OS is harder to use) because the rhythm sounds are superior IMO. Can't afford or justify the switch now as I am hardly playing at all due to other projects.

#488787 - 02/08/20 08:33 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

I don't like the way the Korg OS works with the screen. The pop ups drive me nuts.. eek

So it really comes down to personal preference, right?

#488788 - 02/08/20 08:41 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave,
C'mon, Fran - this is a Cadillac to Malibu comparison. Both cool, but the Caddy has so much more to offer, and is soooooo much more comfy.

Having leaseda Cadillac STS4 in 2013, and now leasing a Malibu Premier model, I have to say that with the 2.0 turbo and SO many 'toys' (heated steering wheel ?!?), the Malibu compares quite favorably, even in comfort, and in fact has more interior room ... but, no, it is not built as heavily ...

#488789 - 02/08/20 08:56 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just a few more items...
Yes, the Roland has more pads, but ZERO content is provided for them.
There is no vocal harmonizer.
There is no text display.
There is no CDG player.
There are no usable break/fills; though some intros work for one.
The Korg has fewer programmable buttons, but the rows of sliders can be programmed for just about anything. There are three sets of factory presets, two sets fully programmable and one set for midi file use.
The Performance Bank is limited to 100 entries, before you have to change banks. That is a real step backward from the BK7m. Also the Performances are not sorted; if you want them in alphabetical order you have to do it manually, which takes five button pushes per entry.
There is much to be said for the EA7, and it is a real bargain in that price range, but it is no match for the P4X. Nor should it be, when you compare prices.
What the EA7 is--a great lightweight arranger, with excellent styles, drums and sounds. It has a great number of operational features. The OS is difficult until you become familiar with it, but no more so than any other brand.

#488795 - 02/08/20 11:16 AM Re: My review of the E-A7, 3 and a half years ago [Re: DonM]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By DonM
Just a few more items...
Yes, the Roland has more pads, but ZERO content is provided for them.

Excellent point, big misstep by Roland on that one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online