SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#488494 - 02/04/20 01:05 PM Re: Do you always play in key of C? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Whatever key it's written in. I think sharps/flats sound better? I do about 6 songs in C, because it's not a good singing range for me.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#488513 - 02/04/20 02:40 PM Re: Do you always play in key of C? [Re: Dnj]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I adjust the key of any song to suit my vocal range and then play in that key, whatever it is.

I can usually play any song I know in whatever key is required should someone else be singing.

Whilst I've never really analysed this scientifically, I don't remember songs as discrete chord sequences in a specific key, I seem to remember them as relative intervals from a start point.

I have no idea if this is strange although a guitarist friend considers this as some form of magic!

#488515 - 02/04/20 02:53 PM Re: Do you always play in key of C? [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I don't sing, so that's not a consideration for me personally.

When I'm learning a new song, I'm usually very excited to start playing it, and I'm too lazy to transpose the dots. So I end up learning it in whatever key it's written. That might change if I can successfully make the transition to an electronic score display program. But I have so much paper music!

I agree with Bill Lewis- I'm sure I could recognize and memorize patterns better if I transposed everything to C. In the long run that would probably allow me to play more songs from memory, leading to fewer mistakes.

Again, the key enabler for learning new music in a specific key is transposable electronic score sheets. I even bought myself an iPad for this purpose. But so far all I've used it for is to display scanned images of paper music sheets that I already had :-(

Getting a little off-topic, but one thing holding me back... With an electronic score display, how do you add annotations to the score??

Edited by TedS (02/04/20 02:55 PM)

#488517 - 02/04/20 03:40 PM Re: Do you always play in key of C? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
"Do you always play in the key of C?"

Yes. smile

#488518 - 02/04/20 03:48 PM Re: Do you always play in key of C? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
When I started out, in another century, I played mostly in C. Then I learned G, then F, then D, then A, then Bb, then E, then Eb. I could get by in the other keys, but not as easily because I just don't play them much.
I think in chord intervals, like I, IV, V7. Instead of a G aug, if I'm in C, I think of 5 aug.
I sometimes transpose if a particular song is easier in a different key and I need to sing it in a different key, or if a certain "lick" is easier in a certain key.
For example Floyd Kramer type piano riffs that use his signature grace note thing are MUCH easier in white keys, C,F,G.

#488537 - 02/05/20 03:19 AM Re: Do you always play in key of C? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
For keyboard, probably , yes, most of my keyboard music Is in key of C.
For piano whatever key it is written in.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online