SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#487914 - 01/27/20 08:44 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, I think there's a difference between "what is best" and "which do YOU LIKE best". JMO.

chas

#487915 - 01/27/20 09:17 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By zuki
Should listen, other than computer speakers. I've really become interested in the SX900 recently. Listened to some YT videos last night and it blew me away.

Zuki you going Yamaha sx900 next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P06PKIaB9qk

If I could make it sound like this!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#487916 - 01/27/20 09:20 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great find, Jim - really enjoyed this demo a lot.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#487919 - 01/27/20 09:40 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hey I didn't even ask for judging. Just thought some might be interested in comparing the various models.
All recordings were made the same. The keyboard goes into a mixer, which is set flat. From there a stereo feed goes to my p.a., and another to my Tascam digital recorder. All e.q. and effects are from the keyboard. All were e.q. "by ear", except for the EA7, which is exactly like it was when I opened the box. They are panned the way they come from the factory, but they could indeed be reversed as I don't pay attention to which channels are right and left. In the future I will. See I learned something I knew but forgot. smile
In addition to these arrangers, I have also experimented with several modules...Midjay, BK7, SD40. There are advantages and drawbacks to using them. You CAN choose the keys you like.
The SD40 is by far the most advanced of the ones I used. I loved the BK7 when I had it but it needs so many peripheral gadgets to make it viable. I feel there are better options now.
This wasn't meant to be a definitive test of any kind, but it seems it did draw a lot of interest! At least we know it was by an average player, done in real-life situation.
I don't see any reason for controversy. If you don't like it, don't read it. Woops, too late! smile
I'm actually pretty happy with both the Korg and the Roland, in different ways. I think I'm going to set them up together. As someone says, the visual effect would be neat.

#487921 - 01/27/20 10:12 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Don, you really are an amazing arranger performer. They all sound great. I just thought the 970 sounded a little dull and not quite as live as the others.
Thanks for sharing.
Mitch

#487929 - 01/27/20 11:55 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: zuki]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Should listen, other than computer speakers. I've really become interested in the SX900 recently. Listened to some YT videos last night and it blew me away.

Zuki you going Yamaha sx900 next?

If I could make it sound like this!

You can! It is a fine arranger. Lots of features, great sound.

#488018 - 01/28/20 11:44 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Don,
Thank you for 5 great performances of a beautiful song.

Would have been interesting if people’s choices of which keyboard sounded best, would be different, if the songs were numbered instead of knowing which one was used.

Tend to think there would be a bit of bias, one vs another, even if we don’t mean to be.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#488026 - 01/28/20 01:46 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

It honestly wasn't be to be a "what's best" post; it was meant to be a comparison of how the various arrangers handled the same song, and I happened to have this song recorded with all of them.

#488052 - 01/29/20 02:33 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: zuki]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia

Zuki you going Yamaha sx900 next? [/quote]

If I could make it sound like this! [/quote]

I think you will see that there are leads going out to external speakers and/or amp mixer, so it will sound better than the build in speakers for sure.

Allan

#488056 - 01/29/20 06:13 AM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: tassiespirit]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Don,

A bit late to reflect on this perhaps but better late than "dead on time".....
First of all they all sound quite impressive thanks to the guy hitting the notes and the keys, that much should be clear.
And as Donny and many more would maintain there is no accounting for tastes ( though Tyros 2 is stretching it a bit.. :)), but personally I think your recordings/renderings here are the best on the Genos and the PA4x, not surprisingly so as they are supposed to be the best I guess, and the most expensive...
There is one caveat though and I am surprised that Fran after listening again came out with the SD7 on top.
Now as you may know I have had a Ketron SD7 for approx. two months now and overall I am quite pleased with it, notwithstanding its shortcomings. I guess the SD7 comes somehwere in between the TOTL and the MOTL models and as such one would not expect it to compete with the big boys.
As regards your recording here with the SD7 I can only say that it does not do justice to the SD7, despite your perfect and professional rendering of the song. Believe you me it can sound so much better on the Ketron. Drums and bass have been praised by all and sundry, and many natural righthand sounds are very good as well. The problem with the Ketrons is that they rely a bit too much on previous stocks of styles, average guitar sounds in the accompaniment section ( as for strings as well)...Furthermore the tweaking and programming that can be done on the SD models is almost too much and discourages many from even starting.... The recent demos by AJ on the SD9 have shown how much can be achieved by playing these models.
The PSR970 and the Roland E-A7 are very good arrangers for their price range though.
Thanks for posting,

regards
John

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online