SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#487760 - 01/25/20 04:57 PM My Legend Exp (organ module)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I bought this to have what I thought would be the equivalent of my KeyB which is not in my studio room. I was disappointed as I never thought it sounded as good as my KeyB although it was supposed to have the same sound engine as my KeyB's replacement. Of course the KeyB was playing through 15" EV's and the EXP module is playing through my 8" studio monitors. For that reason I never played it much and NEVER recorded it (which was the main reason I bought it). For some reason, I decided to do a quick record on it today and didn't think it sounded too bad. The classic "888" didn't/doesn't have the 'bite' or grit as the KeyB (or real 'B'). I'll try increasing the OD. The bass (LM linked to Pedals) sounds pretty good but the Leslie Sim is a little shakey. Also the "848" on the lower manual is not as 'creamy' as on the KeyB.

Anyhoo, I did some test tracks to check the recorded sound (to see if it sounded better than the 'live' sound). No rhythm guitar so just 'dubbed the melody/solo. One shot (you can hear all the bloopers smile ) 'cause it was just a test/practice recording. Bob (my guitarist) is coming over sunday so I'll do it again with guitar (comp & solo). I'll post that. In the meantime, here's practice run #1. BTW, I control the module with my old Nord C1 which makes THE perfect controller (I have it's own sounds muted).

https://app.box.com/s/b2ssh5prmjjjh56tnopibu8896k0zdnn

chas

#487761 - 01/25/20 05:19 PM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Really nice Chas thank you so much for sharing...
A foggy day no more when you break through the clouds with that searing Hammond sound!
More please... clap

#487763 - 01/25/20 05:55 PM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Chas, that’s the first time I heard you play, nice. From now on I will take a closer look on what you post. (smile)

Thank you for sharing, John C.

PS, I went back to listen again, you are playng the style I love most.

Edited by bruno123 (01/25/20 06:00 PM)

#487767 - 01/25/20 07:40 PM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Nice job Chas....listened to the end smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#487768 - 01/25/20 08:52 PM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Donny, John, and Zuki, but it really WAS just a 'foolin' around' kind of recording. But here's a thought. A lot of the people here are committed arranger players but have shown a strong interest in having a 'better-than-average', easily controllable, organ voice BUT without the expense and hassle of a dedicated clonewheel. This module (Legend EXP) could be the answer for some. It's inexpensive, lightweight, has REAL organ controls, and sounds good. To maximize it's utility, you really need an expression pedal and a (slow/stop/fast) leslie (half-moon) switch. You can link, say, the bottom two octaves of the lower manual to the pedal voice which will give you a nice percussive bass without foot pedals (which are also supported). Just sayin'.

chas

#487769 - 01/25/20 08:59 PM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Not bad for an old guy smile

Here is an E-A7 offering... Not intended as competition ( never wished to compete with friends)... grin

https://app.box.com/s/wi0vhsuyi2xsb6dq7eyej69dfl3jds6g

#487770 - 01/25/20 09:36 PM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

No problem Fran. If I thought it was a competition, I'd spend more time rehearsing it (and working out a decent solo smile ). Nice job, but of course you cheat; I notice you post your songs in WAV format while the rest of us dummies render to MP3 smile. Seriously, you really can hear the difference in clarity and realism. A couple of comments on your tune.
1. Perfect tempo for that style
2. Drums sound really good but a hair too loud (my opinion only)
3. Bass is too loud (maybe not to loud, maybe just to 'prominent' - again, just a matter of taste).
4. Piano too loud towards the end (sounds somewhat unbalanced)

These are all MIXING problems (if even problems) normalizing or, in the case of the piano track, maybe just using a limiter effect (just on the track - alternative is to do it manually - a PITA smile ).

I know you know that this is offered only as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and is highly subjective anyway. If you're like me (super lazy), you probably didn't spend a huge amount of time mixing it down. In any case, I'm really glad to see some of us still doing the old classic standards. They all come from the 'golden age of music' but, full disclosure, I do them mainly because I've been playing them for 50 years and don't have to sit down and learn them smile. It's also the reason half the chords are probably wrong smile. One of the perks of being old, you can get away with so much stuff smile.

BTW, if you're ever down this way, let me know. I've met a few ol' fart (but first rate) musicians down here who I know you would enjoy meeting.

chas

#487778 - 01/26/20 05:59 AM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

According to Viscount..
That now manage the brand Keyb
Its exactly the same sound engine.

So the difference you feel, might have todo with the keys you play on?

Anyway, i enjoyed your recording, and sounded quite realistic to me..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#487779 - 01/26/20 06:22 AM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Chas, Love it, you certainly have the talent! I always enjoy what you post! Excellent.

#487780 - 01/26/20 06:35 AM Re: My Legend Exp (organ module) [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Steve, and somewhat belated condolences on the recent passing of your mother. What was very sobering to me was that she was still active (driving) so recently. Makes all of us, especially in our age group, realize how quickly things can change.

Hope you're experiencing good weather down there (I assume you're in Florida). We've been lucky here in north Georgia, none of that bad NorthEast stuff smile. Sounds like Tony had to leave the country to get away from it smile smile.

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online