SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#487715 - 01/25/20 03:57 AM Regs. and Playlist
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Yamaha Sx900 Regs. and Playlist Ideas Jan22,2020

The first step that normally happens when we get a new keyboard is listening to a style and the sound of the instruments. Then we look at the controls and options. The next step is to save a song to a registration, which included a style, tempo, and four style variations, and four TOS instruments. (And more) The Sx900 Playlist can include 8 Registrations with each song. This is fantastic, it adds so much to our performance.

The first song I selected was Never The Less, using all 8 Registrations. It was good, I liked it. One problem – What do you put in each Registration? I started with the instruments and their volumes. Problem --- It took me 2 ½ hours. Ouch! Not good, too much time for one song, considering how many songs I want to add.

I created bands in the eight Regs. Big Band, Rock Band, Ethnic Band, Latin Band. Each type of band had 2 or 3 variations. --- Big Band Slow, Big Band Med., Big Band up.

Qiestions to ask yourself:

1-Is it a vocal or a instrument solo?

2-What instruments are playing? what are their volumes? EX. A Big Band trumpet is not the same as a Latin trumpet.

3-Should I mute some of style tracks?

4-Change the Variation? Add an intro or an ending. Should I EQ any the instruments. Whatever your imagination brings.
This sounds like a big, time consuming job, but It will decrease the time and effort of adding a new song 80% to 90%.

My Method of Creating Registrations and a Playlist.

1- Set up ten Reg banks, one song per reg use 001 to 010 eight songs to one bank total 80 songs. Some of my songs are in a medley of two or three songs – So the 80 songs are more like 125 songs.

2- Create 10 bands, 3 Big Band, 3 Rock, 2 Latin, 1 Ethnic, 1 Classical.

When you create a Band, DO NOT save the style or Tempo –IMPORTNT.

SETTING UP ONE SONG – 8 Registration and Playlist.

1- Select a song from 001 to 010-- or create a new song and save it in Reg

2- Select band you have created.

3-The style and tempo are still active from the song you created. Loading a band will not effect your work because the band does not have a style or tempo saved.

4-Save your set up in Reg #1 WITH STYLE AND TEMPO.

5- Press Save— Save Here —- Write name of Song —- Press save.

6- Press Playlist —— Press Add Record LIST—- Your list of saved Reg. comes up. Select the song you were working on--- Press add to List—- use up and down for Alpha order. Save the Playlist.

7- It is now ready for advanced editing, if needed,

IDEAS FOR EDITING REGISTRATION

1- Instrument change and volume change in the style

2- Variation style change

3- Muting parts of the style

4- 1, 2, 3, left hand instrument change

5- Selecting a style that is almost the same, but more exciting.
The options are many.

A Word About Creating Bands:

The band I created will not be the same band in six months, it is always open to improve. This can be fun, enjoyable.
Reg #1 – Piano. I think back at the times I heard a piano. What was the other instruments doing? Did the brass continue to play? Was the bass stronger? Think back to what you heard, create, let this become you. No perfection here. As you grow, so will the band you created grow.

If you have any ideas of how I can improve what I am doing, or if you created a different method, please let me know, I am open to learn.

John C.

#487717 - 01/25/20 04:48 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
John C.

You’ve created a very thorough method for creating registrations. I like your idea with the bands.

I usually use one song per registration bank if it’s a vocal I reserve buttons 7 for adding “voice double” 8 for turning it off. The great thing about registrations the sky is the limit on how you configure them.

Thanks for posting your method.

#487718 - 01/25/20 06:00 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: bruno123]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
John, WOW, you have helped me a great deal with your suggestions. I guess I always was more make it up as you go...and not consistent. Also, I will really think anout all the issues you said now and go listen VERY carefully to my favorite rendition of the song, then go to work with the registrations.

This Playlist and 8 registrations thing is great!. The registration thing for Yamaha has been around a very long time. Back in the early 80's (maybe before) I had several HS series Yamaha organs. my last one was a HS8T and had 16 registration buttons between the keybeds.

Great for a complex orchestral type performance, or really anything. AND we shouldn't forget about the great feature of using a footswitch to advance from one to the next. Just wish the SX-900 supported the Yamaha FC-10 switch unit, darn!

Thanks for sharing this.....

#487731 - 01/25/20 10:30 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: leeboy]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Wow!!! 2 1/2 hours to set up just one part of the registration. Ha, for the days of just pushing some stops on the organ! In another post it is asked why don't others understand arrangers. Maybe they do. Automatic features shouldn't take 3-4 hours to set up one song. I love arrangers but I despise the complexity of using them.

#487732 - 01/25/20 10:53 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: ekurburski]

I put 2 ½ hours into creating a Band. I put in 21/2 hours because I was learning while I was working. The beautiful part of what I did is that it can be used for every Big Band song I set up in the future saving me many hours of work. With the Band made I can enter a new song in 5 to 10 minutes.

Iceboy,
I’m glad I could help. The Organ days were great. I remember sitting with Hector Olivera (spelling?) in a class of four players. The song set up was way beyond what I was able to do – It’s one of the reasons his performance was so good.

I am loving the Sx900 more and more, John C.

#487733 - 01/25/20 10:56 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By ekurburski
Wow!!! 2 1/2 hours to set up just one part of the registration. Ha, for the days of just pushing some stops on the organ! In another post it is asked why don't others understand arrangers. Maybe they do. Automatic features shouldn't take 3-4 hours to set up one song. I love arrangers but I despise the complexity of using them.

Yep, soon it'll take more time to learn the arranger than to learn the instrument it's trying to emulate smile.

chas

Edited by cgiles (01/25/20 10:59 AM)

#487735 - 01/25/20 10:59 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: cgiles]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
yep chas, already does in many instances.

#487737 - 01/25/20 11:06 AM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By ekurburski

Yep, soon it'll take more time to learn the arranger than to learn the instrument it's trying to emulate smile.

chas

Chas I agree at this point I Just wanna turn it on and play....
the one man band scenario also brings with it a lot of homework to do.

#487745 - 01/25/20 12:31 PM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

OK, so the"one man band" - aka Arranger Keyboard - replaces a full band ... For those of us who had the great pleasure of playing with a band, did it not take hours of rehearsal arranging and practicing a new song ?!? If you want to perform like a band it's going to take WORK ...

#487746 - 01/25/20 12:34 PM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: Dnj]

Like in most parts in life. Formal education, Sales course, weight lifting, and Music Theory, (there is a long list) they all help when you are doing the job you have chosen.

The player who is great, fantastic, could do a better job if he understands his instrument better.

It really depends on were you are focusing. There so much in my 2020 car that I do not understand, I just want to go from here to there. But the ride is far better if I knew. (smile)
John C.

#487747 - 01/25/20 12:46 PM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Dnj

OK, so the"one man band" - aka Arranger Keyboard - replaces a full band ... For those of us who had the great pleasure of playing with a band, did it not take hours of rehearsal arranging and practicing a new song ?!? If you want to perform like a band it's going to take WORK ...

yes Tony but sometimes reading these posts it seems many would rather just turn on and play use factory & third party/converted styles, then to dig in and work in the OS, tweak, edit and create styles, sounds, arrangements, registrations, lyrics, etc,
some do it, some don't care what it sounds like, and even some are too lazy to do it...human nature I guess. confused1

Edited by Dnj (01/25/20 12:47 PM)

#487748 - 01/25/20 01:19 PM Re: Regs. and Playlist [Re: bruno123]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
John,
I bet that was one heck of a class! When I had the Thomas organs late 60's - 70's)things were simple, just Tabs for sounds and a couple mechanical presets....and a simple drum machine. BUT when I got the Yamaha's in the early 80's things had changed...it was VERY much like arrangers are today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online