SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#487357 - 01/20/20 02:37 PM I'm PRO-arranger
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't quite understand all the recent posts...

Are we addicted to styles...
Try to "wean" away from styles...
Play only piano...
Play only organ...
You MUST have weighted keys for expression...
You can't play if you don't know how to play piano...
You can only express yourself if you turn off the styles...
Use Karaoke, Use Midi files, Use backing tracks...
Get a Synth, then try to make it do what an arranger does...?
Turn off everything and just play keys...
You're not a pro if you have speakers built in...

Doesn't bother me a bit if YOU use all these things, but I don't understand why there is such a constant putting down of arrangers.
I call BS. I'm gonna play arranger. I thought that's why we were here, because we like to play them and learn more about them.

#487361 - 01/20/20 03:00 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA

#487365 - 01/20/20 03:10 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
+1 Don:

This is The General Arranger Forum! Well said!

#487366 - 01/20/20 03:12 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I don't quite understand all the recent posts...

Are we addicted to styles...
Try to "wean" away from styles...
Play only piano...
Play only organ...
You MUST have weighted keys for expression...
You can't play if you don't know how to play piano...
You can only express yourself if you turn off the styles...
Use Karaoke, Use Midi files, Use backing tracks...
Get a Synth, then try to make it do what an arranger does...?
Turn off everything and just play keys...
You're not a pro if you have speakers built in...

Doesn't bother me a bit if YOU use all these things, but I don't understand why there is such a constant putting down of arrangers.
I call BS. I'm gonna play arranger. I thought that's why we were here, because we like to play them and learn more about them.

Don
Some of those comments were mine so I'll respond. I'm not against Arrangers at all. I couldn't do the work I do without one. What "I" said was its nice to break away and just play piano. And BTW its keeps your technique and ears sharp so you can do more on the Arranger. And it does take a good bit of talent to sound good on a piano as opposed to and Arranger. The thing about on board speakers is only my opinion as I stated. I just don't like the look of a keyboard with them and they always sound terrible compard to a good sound system Exception being my FP90. Again thats just me I don't think anyone else cares or even notices.

#487367 - 01/20/20 03:29 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
gambler Offline

I couldn't agree more Don, Just glad a respected professional like yourself has finally told it as it is.

I began on accordion at the age of 8, then at 15 learned to play the organ. So l can play bass pedals and left hand accomp. Like a few have said in previous posts l'm not adept at running up and down the keyboard with my left hand and stick to just full chords etc.

About 3 years ago l bought a new Tyros 5 as it was half price in a sale. l've since traded it for a Genos. I have added a lower keyboard and pedals. However by personal choice most times now l like to play using the accompaniment and styles.

l've never quite understood what the problem is in doing that and why some seem to look down on it. The way l see it, if you play an instrumental on piano or keyboard in a band with a drummer and maybe a rhythm guitarist etc you're using the drummer and guitarist as your backing the same as using a style on an arranger keyboard.

My all time favourite group is The Shadows. l love playing their numbers, but to get as close to the original drums etc l need to use a style specially made for whatever number l'm playing. The instrumental part is all my own playing. So cheating aside by using a midi file recorded with the full track, l've yet to hear any keyboard play the instrumental part of Apache all by itself. Maybe some will still look down their noses, but l still see myself as a musician.

#487368 - 01/20/20 03:32 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I honestly don't remember who posted what, and it's perfectly o.k. to do so of course. I also break away and play guitar for myself. Never played piano, though I was a decent organ player.
I don't use the onboard speakers, but a couple of newer models may be adequate for use in a very small venue, like small nursing homes. They don't matter much one way or the other to me, and my audience can't see them anyway.
But I know you aren't saying you don't need talent to sound good on an arranger? I think we are confusing piano playing talent with arranger playing talent. They are totally different instruments. Yes, anyone can sit down and play one-finger chords and sound "good", but not really "good". So I understand where you are coming from. My background in organ, guitar, drums and trumpet certainly has translated to some degree to playing arrangers.
Instead of specific beefs, I'm referring more to the overall tone that seems to say arrangers are inferior...not real instruments. If a person THINKS they are inferior, then they ARE, to him.
My good friend DNJ starts a lot of this, but he just likes to stir things up. smile He is an arranger lover to the Nth degree, having owned 473 of them.
Other good friends, Russ and Chas, are not really arranger players and never claimed to be.
I can't touch what they do on their instruments, but I can hold my own with mine! smile
I'm already wishing I hadn't started this. It really doesn't matter...
Best to everyone. I love you all. Don't hate me, I cry easily these days.

#487370 - 01/20/20 03:36 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA

And you play it very well Don!
Mitch

#487374 - 01/20/20 03:53 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'll respond as well. A forum, by definition, is "a place for discussion". There is no requirement that everyone be in total agreement with each other. I believe that I can be intrigued with high performance motorcycles and areobatic airplanes (to the point of wanting to discuss them on a forum) but I still don't want my son or grandkids to ride or fly one. Even forums where EVERYONE is an enthusiast, conflicting opinions will still arise. Fact is, it really makes for a more interesting forum. In the end, everything said is still just an opinion and as long as it's not targeting an individual person, what's the harm. We have to acknowledge that there IS a reason why arrangers are not that popular with the younger generation. If we're honest, we have to acknowledge that the reason a club owner will hire a OMB or DJ over a three piece band is ECONOMICS, as in most cases, the patrons would rather hear a live band. I don't think pointing out these things is necessarily 'arranger bashing', it's just reality. As for the built-in speaker thing, I'm 100% in the Bill Lewis camp, just doesn't look professional to me (that's just a personal thing).

I admit that as I've gotten older and less intrigued with 'gadgetry', my attraction to arrangers has diminished considerably but after 15+ years on the forum I still enjoy the forum and most of the people on it. The fact is, only about 50% of the forum posts involve arrangers anyway smile. Besides, who wants to live a cookie-cutter life.

chas

#487375 - 01/20/20 04:04 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The best most versatile instrument I have played.. that is what an arranger is.. smile

I have played great accordions, Decent pianos, Great organs, and best synths.. but the best of all "arranger keyboards"..

Don .. wipe those tears grin

#487376 - 01/20/20 04:08 PM Re: I'm PRO-arranger [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

But I know you aren't saying you don't need talent to sound good on an arranger? I think we are confusing piano playing talent with arranger playing talent. They are totally different instruments. Yes, anyone can sit down and play one-finger chords and sound "good", but not really "good".

Best to everyone. I love you all. Don't hate me, I cry easily these days.

Hi Don,
that is the beauty of the arranger , anyone who wants to learn to play an arranger probably can, whether it be single finger or full chords.
Still boils down to how good a musician a person is though and knowing what works.
The style to use, the arrangement, the parts to leave out, etc. that’s the difference between the pro’s and and some of us mere mortals. Not sure it’s something one can learn, tend to think you either got it, or you ain’t. Still doesn’t stop the ain’t’s from having a whole lot of fun.

Don’t cry, we all love you too. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online