SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#487335 - 01/20/20 11:32 AM Roland Fantom
Bachus Offline

I am playtesting the Roland Fantom tomorrow...
It would make the perfect controller for an arranger module and a macbook..

Just saying...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#487342 - 01/20/20 12:22 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

Just saying...

I have a Fantom G7 (previous generation) and unless they've made revolutionary changes to the control surface, IMO it would make a terrible controller for an arranger (or any other type) module. I can only speak for the model I have but evolutionary models usually follow the same 'script' as far as controls and OS's. I find the controls and OS on the 'G' to be cumbersome, non-intuitive, and poorly organized. It's one of the reasons I don't use it any more than I do. It DOES have one helleva nice keybed though (as do most TOTL Roland keyboards). JMO though. I'll be very interested to hear your evaluation of the NEW Fantom, especially the ergonomics.

chas

#487343 - 01/20/20 12:25 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Just saying...

Go for it Bacchus..it's a real monster workstation
in every sense of the word wow!!!It might even ween you off styles and get more creative with your music too as the New Fantom can do so many things in so many ways...awaiting your review..but don't forget it is really a deep machine and needs massive attention looking under the hood. Just a short playing session might not even scratch the surface. Good luck.

#487349 - 01/20/20 01:27 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles

Just saying...

I have a Fantom G7 (previous generation) and unless they've made revolutionary changes to the control surface, IMO it would make a terrible controller for an arranger (or any other type) module. I can only speak for the model I have but evolutionary models usually follow the same 'script' as far as controls and OS's. I find the controls and OS on the 'G' to be cumbersome, non-intuitive, and poorly organized. It's one of the reasons I don't use it any more than I do. It DOES have one helleva nice keybed though (as do most TOTL Roland keyboards). JMO though. I'll be very interested to hear your evaluation of the NEW Fantom, especially the ergonomics.

chas

Thats exactly the selling point,,...

The ergonomics..
The all inclusive..
And the abilkity to controll any external module or a DAW..

Its created with being the centerpiece in any setup
Instead where other workstations are still build as the one piece that can do it all

#487467 - 01/21/20 12:18 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

The Fantom is awesome... sounds great.. keys feel superb.. and the interface takes you into the next century..

However, i ended up falling in love with a Hammond SKX, and the GSI DMC-122...

#487468 - 01/21/20 12:23 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

#487470 - 01/21/20 12:34 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bacchus it all depends on your personal needs..these are all nice
but both do totally different things in totally different way with the creating of music.
What YOU need will decide what you buy or what direction you pursue or not and what direction your gonna take is your choice..
Or just keep what you have and play music. Good luck.

#487477 - 01/21/20 01:22 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Bacchus it all depends on your personal needs..these are all nice
but both do totally different things in totally different way with the creating of music.
What YOU need will decide what you buy or what direction you pursue or not and what direction your gonna take is your choice..
Or just keep what you have and play music. Good luck.

In my case not my needs, but my wants..

I think Roland came once realy close to perfection,...

#487486 - 01/21/20 04:30 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Bachus I totally agree and the ATELIER AT350C is one model that I sadly missed buying...wonder if you could still find one today? or what has taken it's place? ....I Love the fact that the bottom keys are piano and top organ and has styles and drawbars too...
I would love to play one. I saw this one on Reverb for only $7000.00....

Roland AT 350C

Edited by Dnj (01/21/20 05:34 PM)

#487495 - 01/21/20 11:14 PM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Quote:

Bachus I totally agree and the ATELIER AT350C is one model that I sadly missed buying...wonder if you could still find one today? or what has taken it's place? ....I Love the fact that the bottom keys are piano and top organ and has styles and drawbars too...
I would love to play one. I saw this one on Reverb for only $7000.00....

Roland AT 350C

Problem s they branded it ATELIER which made the whole piece extremely expensive.. but also super high build quallity..

Wish they would produce something like this in the Roland VR series... same formfactor... the new Zen-core and supernatural souns inside... and the arranger features of the EA7..

Having a 76 lower key is a huge thing... currently only wersi builds an organ thats semi affordable with a 76 key lower manual.. all other brands stick to 61 key with..

#487496 - 01/22/20 12:50 AM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Roland AT350C had all the same sounds and features as the rest of the Atelier line, however it was a pig to play on the fly due to limited real estate for the controls, (You got to everything through menus) thus you really needed to program everything beforehand, (This is the same problem arrangers have) whereas with a normal organ like the SKX you can play any request people make (Assuming you know it) without needing to set everything up first.

Bill

#487540 - 01/22/20 11:11 AM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
The Roland AT350C had all the same sounds and features as the rest of the Atelier line, however it was a pig to play on the fly due to limited real estate for the controls, (You got to everything through menus) thus you really needed to program everything beforehand, (This is the same problem arrangers have) whereas with a normal organ like the SKX you can play any request people make (Assuming you know it) without needing to set everything up first.

Bill

The skx doesn’t have any drums does it?
That would require a drum computer or arranger module?

Atleast the AT350 has drawbars, so there is some real time controll?

Sound quallity wise, the skx, is quite a step behind the Genos, except offcourse for the organ sound... and where it comes to the organ sounds.. i think GSI (crumar) and bkey are even further ahead..

#487543 - 01/22/20 11:17 AM Re: Roland Fantom [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

The skx doesn’t have any drums does it?
That would require a drum computer or arranger module?

Atleast the AT350 has drawbars, so there is some real time controll?

Sound quality wise, the skx, is quite a step behind the Genos, except offcourse for the organ sound... and where it comes to the organ sounds.. i think GSI (crumar) and bkey are even further ahead..

Lets face it a Hammond is a HAMMOND.
like I said there are other choices out there
I am looking into also...that is if I do it at all..
I am in no rush......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online