SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#487186 - 01/18/20 12:31 PM My Casio MZX bugged out :-(
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well my MZX-500 has bugged out finally. The keyboard has developed an intermittent mixer bug. Works sometimes, sometimes doesn’t , and interestingly decides what it wants to work as the bug isn’t always the same. My board is pristine. I actually benched it for a very long time ago because the keys are utter garbage.

So it has been sitting unplugged under a dust cover. I was told Casio doesn’t use a battery based backup system for when you unplug, but use something else. I’ve done numerous factory restores and even reloaded the OS, but it’s still has the problem. I’m wondering if the MZX’s OS becomes corrupted if the board is left unplugged for a long time.

Anywho..., $1,100 down the drain. The only reason I pulled it back out is because I put it up for sale, and now I’ve got to pull it. Last Casio I ever buy.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (01/18/20 12:33 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#487190 - 01/18/20 12:38 PM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

Squeak that sux, sorry to hear that maybe you could salvage it buy selling it for parts?......
or would it be worth having it serviced by a tech of some kind locally.
This can happen to the best of units not just Casio.
Good luck.

Edited by Dnj (01/18/20 12:47 PM)

#487191 - 01/18/20 12:45 PM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: Dnj]
squeak_D Offline

With the cost of service (and shipping) it’s not worth the money to take that route IMO. If I sold it.., I’d be taking a huge loss. The X-500 is supposed to be a “powerhouse” arranger workstation, but that flies out the window if the mixer isn’t working properly.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (01/18/20 12:46 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#487208 - 01/18/20 04:38 PM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Take it apart...there may very well be a loose connector or something else loose....especially if you have been moving it around....what do you have to lose. If I were close I would help you. (I have been a electronic tech all my life)

#487249 - 01/19/20 11:31 AM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: leeboy]
squeak_D Offline

It’s going to be an OS issue. My x500 doesn’t move around much. It has never left my home, and if it’s ever moved, we’re talking 2 feet. The OS glitch with the mixer was originally an issue at the release of the unit that required a patch. I think the OS portion of the mixer is corrupted beyond what the user can do, and would require a software fix from Casio. They can’t fix it without physically having the board also. They wouldn’t be able to reproduce the problem on their end because the data corruption is specific to my keyboard. I’m still thinking these new models don’t like being unplugged for long periods of time.

Sqk

#487262 - 01/19/20 01:11 PM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Sorry you're going through this, thanks for letting us know.

I don't believe Casio made very many of these. I also don't think sales took off like they planned. Even so, they have been adamant about holding the line on price. I haven't seen any blowouts anywhere. So if I'm right, there are dozens sitting in warehouses which are slowly turning themselves into bricks.

Other than the bug being in the mixer, can you be more specific about symptoms of the problem (or maybe you already posted it on Casio music forums??) If I ever come across one of these, I would like to know what to look for.

One more thought... Some parts of this OS are used in the new CT-X series. And a variation of the software driving the touch screen is used in the PX-560 style piano. So depending on the cause, it's in Casio's interest to get this bug solved.

O/T but I'm not sure that a PX-560 successor couldn't unseat the Korg Havian and Clavinova to be an elite piano arranger. It would give Casio a MOTL arranger with better quality (albeit piano) keys than the MZ-X or CT-X.

#487265 - 01/19/20 01:53 PM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
leeboy Offline

Sqk, So you think the OS is the issue...Software issues are never intermittent. The scenario that makes a SW issue fail may need to be a specific way (set of conditions) but SW does the same thing every time. If it was working fine and all of a sudden started failing...that's a HW issue. I would definitely post the symptoms on the Casio forums, or call Tech support if you can.

If you re-loaded the OS, including any updates you got from Casio and it still fails, I doubt it is SW.

After re-reading your original post...if it were mine...I would take it apart, look for any issues....at least before you can it. If you have the knowledge, also re-seat any memory modules if they are in sockets (any chips in sockets, re-seat.

Oh, one other thing to try, lift 1 corner, hold it up, see if it fails, if not do each other corner in sequence...(putting some twist in the unit, maybe) if any of that fails, it indicates something loose or a bad connection. Reseat ALL connections you possible can.

BE DARN SURE you have it unplugged before you take the covers off!

Hope you can fix it...._

#487285 - 01/20/20 05:53 AM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Squeak: Long time no see... here at the General Arranger Forum. Sorry to hear about the "bug" in the Casio. In reality, it may be just that! If it has been in "storage"... even though covered, those pesky insects can invade almost anything and screw up a contact or connection. If you follow Lee's advice... once you have "the lid off" (after first unplugging power) look around for insects before you do anything else.

Best wishes for success, Pal. ----Dave

#487305 - 01/20/20 08:49 AM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I remember a story about a woman who's food mixer quit working. She asked her husband for help. He got his screwdriver and started taking it apart. When he got the cover off, a huge dead cockroach fell out. He said, "there's your trouble, the engineer died.".

#487311 - 01/20/20 09:05 AM Re: My Casio MZX bugged out :-( [Re: squeak_D]
leeboy Offline

If I was her husband I would have said...Hey Honey, I found the BUG!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online