SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4869 - 04/12/03 07:03 PM Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that I have given up all hopes of getting my minimoog. So I am going to move on and look for something else instead. I think I will go digital this time. I would like a Korg MS2000 or a Roland JP8000. But after spending $350.00 on a minimoog that never came I am going to hold off on one of those.

I think I will try something older but after 1980. I have already owned a Korg Poly-61, and Ensoniq Mirage and a Yamaha DX7II FD. I think I will try something elese. I've done analog, sampleing and FM. I think I will try something new like L/A. Oh also owned a Roland JX-305 and a Kawai K5000's.

Well I will keep looking till I find something that suits me.

#4870 - 04/13/03 08:50 PM Re: Moveing on
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
You should look at the Red Sound DarkStar XP-2 . It's a module but it has real time controls , 2 oscillators per voice , multimode filters , it's a VA synth , 8 voice polyphonic and it's $199.99 . Best bang for buck you could hope for . http://www.redsound.com

#4871 - 04/13/03 09:02 PM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks! I'll check it out.

#4872 - 04/14/03 08:54 PM Re: Moveing on
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The Korg MicroKorg also offers a lot for the money. While it looks sort of cheap it provides good VA synthesis plus vocoding at a low price. Plus it does have a small but touch sensitive keyboard. I am thinking about getting one of these to use as an external module with another keyboard.

#4873 - 04/14/03 09:12 PM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes! well that is one to consider, but I don't think I will right now. Espically after spending $350.00 on a minimoog that never came. So far I have $100.00 set asied for buying a keyboard. Of course I know $100.00 is not enough that's why I am trying to save up more. Buy trying to sell some stuff on ebay, and saveing change.

#4874 - 04/14/03 11:04 PM Re: Moveing on
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I was very sorry to hear how your online purchase turned out. I hope you are able to raise enough money to buy something that will compensate for losing the Minimoog.

#4875 - 04/15/03 06:32 AM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

thank you Nigel, well I just heard back from the guy and he said he is still trying to locate it as well and has not given up. If he can not fin it he said he woule refund my money.

#4876 - 04/26/03 07:49 AM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a bummer Paul...hey, at least the guy will give you recourse on your investment with a refund. Man! Bummer! BTW I did see that 8080's are going cheap now.(a rackmount JP-8000) I would say if you are used to analog like you are, I would go with a VA type before a L/A type board.

#4877 - 04/26/03 08:37 AM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

VA huh? well that is something to consider. Would like a JP8000 or MS2000 or even a Nord Lead.

#4878 - 04/27/03 11:07 PM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know maybe I should consider a digital sampler. Since I am obviously not having and luck finding just the right synthesizer.

It's too bad no one makes an affordable digital keyboard sampler with knobs.

#4879 - 04/28/03 11:19 AM Re: Moveing on
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
It's too bad no one makes an affordable digital keyboard sampler with knobs.[/B][/QUOTE]

djx ? ;0)

have you tried a yamaha ex7 , if your trying to save a few bucks and you can find one it'll cost less than a motif or a tritonle. it does a little of everything rompler, sampler, fm, analog modeling and it has a few knobs

#4880 - 04/29/03 03:38 AM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's true, yeah you could go that route. but you gotta remember too samplers are different they play different unless you have one that can tweak formant...and those are bucks. The ones tat tweak with cleanliness are REALLY big bucks typically.

"Since I am obviously not having and luck finding just the right synthesizer."
Paul, probably every keybordist on this board has experienced that! We're with you on that one. You are defineately not alone with that experience!
It seems to me that the Virtual Analog (VA) type is most similar to how you are adept to developing sounds. I think it is worth getting the 8000 even if it is a little bit more unless you have plans on 'going really big' and tieing other equipment into a controller based system. I have an 8000 that I will eventually cut loose from my setup, but I am not near ready to do that yet. Maybe in 6-9 months but that quite a while. The XP-2 that 800dv mentioned seems to have a lot to offer for the money. I guess in the meantime, what can I tell ya...keep saving and use a soft synth on a drive you can format so you can get another trial run on it if you need it.
based system

#4881 - 04/29/03 05:20 AM Re: Moveing on
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Morph, you're right about trying to find the right synth. My PSR740 has 761 instruments but only 60 organs, most of which I don't like. I would rather have 761 organs. I could use a Hammond or clone but I like the touch response and the styles. However, with XGworks I can generate several thousand organ sounds so things aren't so bad after all. The point being that any halfway decent keyboard has at least one DSP or the equivalent and the sounds you can make are up to your skill and imagination.

Bryan

#4882 - 04/29/03 07:19 AM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys! The JP8000 really looks like a really cool keyboard and that is one that I have considered. I have even been kickcing around the idea of putting my own synth together with useing a couple of controller keyboards and some soft synths and maybe a rack module or two. But this is just a thought.

#4883 - 05/01/03 11:59 AM Re: Moveing on
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still decideing on what synth to buy. I do not want to make a huge mistake, and spend money on something I am not going to use or let alone enjoy. I will however let you know what I decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online