SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#486570 - 01/11/20 03:42 PM CLIMATE DISASTER!!!!
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
We talk about climate change when it really should be called Climate Disaster. All these things happening to our beautiful world are putting us right behind the 8 ball. What makes it possible for us to exist on this planet? One thing, The WILD, not the houses, buildings, highways etc, etc, etc. And who is destroying the WILD, We are. We are also causing the oceans to acidify and where does most of the oxygen we need to survive come from, the oceans. This acidification is going to have a big effect on the very organisms that create our oxygen, so where does that leave us, right behind the 8 ball and from what's been happening so far, it looks like this change is only going to gather speed as it progresses. So as the Great Bette Davis said "Hang on to your hats guys, it's going to be a bumpy ride" or something like that.

#486640 - 01/12/20 03:16 PM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
Crossover Offline

It's quite a dilemma. Nobody wants to quit their convenient habits, and everyone can say "Nothing will change if I'm the only one who changes his behavior". The recent climate conference proves it again. Sadly, it seems extreme events and pressure from climate refugees to northern countries will have to become much worse until it's bad enough for most countries to take action.
In economics it's sometimes called "individually rational behavior leading to collectively irrational (if not self-destructive) behavior".

#486694 - 01/13/20 08:10 AM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Why does everyone keep pointing fingers at the US when it comes to the climate disaster/change? Based on the size of our country, we are leading the world in reducing carbon emissions. China, India, et. al. need to step up and do their part.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#486758 - 01/13/20 02:58 PM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Pardon me but I never pointed the finger at the USA. When I say us, I refer to mankind in general. We are all in this ride together like it or not.

#486766 - 01/13/20 03:53 PM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#486793 - 01/14/20 01:50 AM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Taike]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

If you believe that post you will believe anything, it is the most unbalanced report I have seen in ages. (If you want real facts look up those done by scientists and global monitors)

Bill

#486807 - 01/14/20 07:18 AM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
Crossover Offline

Pointing at individual countries is part of the problem. „We‘ll wait until xy has started acting...“.

#486844 - 01/14/20 03:56 PM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
Taike Offline

No, Bill, it isn't. The main problem is the West blaming everything on China.

Climate change is a global problem so blaming it all on one country is simply ignoring what's going on in your own backyard.

I do believe what scientists say albeit not those scientists that are paid by political parties or multi-national companies.

Edited by Taike (01/15/20 05:27 AM)

#486858 - 01/15/20 12:33 AM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Taike]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Taike
No, Bill, it isn't. The main problem is the West blaming everything on China.

Climate change is a global problem so blaming it all on one country is simply ignoring what's going on in your own backyard.

I do believe what scientist have to say about it albeit not those scientists that are paid by political parties or multi-national companies.

Most western country's have already set targets to eliminate their carbon footprint, (With many of them way ahead of schedule) so your claim of look in your own back yard in most cases is false.
Currently China produces the most carbon emissions on the planet (Fact) with India catching up, however while they are still producing coal fire power stations (The most efficient way to pollute the planet) it is only because of their speed of growth requires more power to be available quickly, long term they are one of the largest investors in carbon neutral power generation, and look upon the the coal fire stations as a temporary pain to get a long term gain.
Blaming others for singling country's out when you are doing the same is no way to get people to change, (Neither is blaming history as the problem wasn't known at the time) so get off your high horse and join the real world by listening to real scientists, rather than the sensational inaccuracies by the article to you posted.

Bill

#486859 - 01/15/20 01:24 AM Re: CLIMATE DISASTER!!!! [Re: Guardman2001]
Taike Offline

So who are the "real" scientists? Where do you get your facts from?

I said it's a global problem! And I didn't single out country. But you may want to join the real world and notice that it's not only China and India. Now that's singling out while conveniently ignoring the rest.

So get off your high horse.

How convenient:

https://www.businessinsider.com/southeast-asia-threaten-to-return-plastic-trash-to-west-2019-5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online