SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#486109 - 01/07/20 04:50 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Jerryghr]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
And the corrected sentence would be: Yeah at this age, you're "LUCKY" to wake up in the morning. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#486115 - 01/07/20 05:32 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Jerryghr]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hey, if we keep at it, we can have Donny speaking (and writing) English in no time smile.

chas

PS: Just kidding you Buddy, we know that sometimes the fingers race ahead of the brain (or vice versa, whichever). That's why some of us hit PREVIEW before we hit SUBMIT smile smile.

#486118 - 01/07/20 05:45 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Frankly I couldn't are less about spelling
hated English class in school too

#486132 - 01/07/20 06:19 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
yea at this age your "LUCKY" top wake up in the morning.. rotf2

... take off the mittens before you type

#486134 - 01/07/20 06:20 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Jerryghr]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#486156 - 01/07/20 10:50 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Fran Carango]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
And accordion players can play bass lines and chords in any key with the same effort smile

On the up side, the best keyboard players I know are from the accordion background. There are several reasons for this.. Accordion is taught, to learn theory, chords, technique, etc, all structured around circle of fifths (fourths).

Almost every accordion student that study, say 2 years, retained what they learned.. Compare to Piano students who studied even longer then 2 years... many can't play a single note shocked

Then there are the great piano players, I mean they can play exactly what is written in front of them .. Take the music away...game over. And few can ever retain in memory what to play. Call a chord change , and they think you are speaking another language. grin

Walk a mile in the shoes of an accordionist and you'll see Fran is right on the money with most of what he wrote here.

In fact, I'm still using my accordion training when I'm thinking "circle of fifths."

Reference professional pianists. The top-of-the-line ARE top-of the line!. The rest of them are poorly trained and poorly educated. Every time, that's EVERY TIME, I hear a pianist play something I like and I ask them "what they did?,"I get swept under the rug with something like..."I don't have time to talk just now." I finally figured it out. Most of them don't really know what they're doing. Some don't even know what key they're playing in. Or a simple chord progression. Some are even teaching.

#486157 - 01/07/20 11:07 PM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
And accordion players can play bass lines and chords in any key with the same effort smile

----------------------------------------

On the up side, the best keyboard players I know are from the accordion background.

----------------------------------------

Almost every accordion student that study, say 2 years, retained what they learned.. Compare to Piano students who studied even longer then 2 years... many can't play a single note shocked

--------------------------------------------

Then there are the great piano players, I mean they can play exactly what is written in front of them .. Take the music away...game over. And few can ever retain in memory what to play. Call a chord change , and they think you are speaking another language. grin

"EVERY GENERAL TRUTH IS A SPECIFIC LIE"

smile

chas

So Chas...tell me...why do you have this obsession with hatred towards the accordion? What fuels it? Were you dating one and she left you for another accordion? Did one try to mug you? Were you driving down the road and an accordion rear-ended you? Were you desperately trying to learn to play one and you couldn't get a handle on it and so you blamed the accordion for your failure?

I absolutely despise the saxophone (to me it sounds like an 800 lb sumo wrestler passing air) but it's a big jazz instrument and I know you're into jazz so I make it a point not to mention my "hatred" of saxophones (except for Paul's saxophonist).

I thought by now you would have gotten some kind of clue that some of us here happen to like and RESPECT accordions, not to mention it's popularity in countries like Mexico, Brazil, and most South American countries, Russia, France, the Balkan's etc. I'm sure you get the bigger picture.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm very much offended with your accordion remarks. What you decide to do with this statement is up to you. Personally, if I already know something I'm going to say will offend someone, I.....DON"T SAY IT.

#486162 - 01/08/20 04:14 AM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
An accordion does more than producing different musical sounds. It brings back a time, a time when music was gentile, it brings a picture of the different countries, folk music, Jazz, simplicity.

My friend had Midi installed in his accordion; plug the accordion into a keyboard and he has many of the things we have. I believe it to be one of the best midi controllers out there.

I walked into a restaurant and someone was playing some R&R. It was the time when R&R was making a big move. I had to find out what kind of keyboard he was using. He was using a midi accordion and a sound module. WOW

There is not another instrument that represents life in so many areas in this world. My friend bought a Kn7000, loves it – but there were times when I found him at the edge of his bed playing his accordion; he never stopped loving the instrument.

In my music school of over 400 students, we had accordion bands, accordion soloists, guitar and accordion – and you didn’t have to plug them in.

And yes, when an accordion moved to a keyboard he had one great right hand – and a poor left hand.

John C.
PS, Mark why your dislike about the sax??????

#486175 - 01/08/20 06:23 AM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100

So Chas...tell me...why do you have this obsession with hatred towards the accordion? What fuels it? Were you dating one and she left you for another accordion? Did one try to mug you? Were you driving down the road and an accordion rear-ended you? Were you desperately trying to learn to play one and you couldn't get a handle on it and so you blamed the accordion for your failure?

I absolutely despise the saxophone (to me it sounds like an 800 lb sumo wrestler passing air) but it's a big jazz instrument and I know you're into jazz so I make it a point not to mention my "hatred" of saxophones (except for Paul's saxophonist).

I thought by now you would have gotten some kind of clue that some of us here happen to like and RESPECT accordions, not to mention it's popularity in countries like Mexico, Brazil, and most South American countries, Russia, France, the Balkan's etc. I'm sure you get the bigger picture.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm very much offended with your accordion remarks. What you decide to do with this statement is up to you. Personally, if I already know something I'm going to say will offend someone, I.....DON"T SAY IT.

Gee Mark, every time I start to warm up to you, you decide to put up a post like this. Because of it's unique sound characteristics, there are probably more 'jokes' about accordions than any other instrument. Fran, and most everyone else on this forum, knows that I'm just kidding him and that I have no malice towards him (in fact, just the opposite), accordions, or accordion players. It's just another musical instrument, which some people like and some people don't. 'HATE' is way too strong a word to describe my feelings about any inanimate object and I think you're making WAY too much 'ado about nothing'. So, do I like accordions? I'm not a big fan of the classic accordion sound. Do I like accordion players? Some, has to do with who they are as a person, not what instrument they choose to play.

I don't want to get into a pissin' contest with you (and I won't) because it's such a petty and ridiculous situation. There are tons of horrific things going on in this world to be offended by; poverty, corporate greed, endless wars, environmental assaults, racism, sexism, religious fanaticism, ....and the list goes on. Be offended by those; better yet, be an activist and try to do something about it. You've got the passion, use it in a 'righteous' way.

chas

#486184 - 01/08/20 07:36 AM Re: What playing level are you at? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

+1 Chas

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online