Topic Options
#485765 - 01/04/20 07:32 AM EA7
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (01/08/20 08:05 AM)

#485766 - 01/04/20 07:34 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#485770 - 01/04/20 08:28 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Good luck Donny. Hope this provides a “Happy Ending” for a long while smile
Mitch

#485777 - 01/04/20 08:46 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

What are you using for vocal harmony, Donny?

#485780 - 01/04/20 08:51 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have a bad feeling about this .... after my 3rd marriage ended, I swore off the "M" word forever.

#485787 - 01/04/20 09:08 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Good luck Donny. Hope this provides a “Happy Ending” for a long while smile
Mitch

Thank you Jingleman I will surely make happy music with the EA7
it's like a Swiss army knife of arrangers....

#485788 - 01/04/20 09:11 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (01/08/20 08:02 AM)

#485792 - 01/04/20 09:34 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (01/08/20 07:56 AM)

#485807 - 01/04/20 11:14 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

My life is plenty full of people ... maybe TOO many, sometimes. LOL

#485809 - 01/04/20 11:16 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
My life is plenty full of people ... maybe TOO many, sometimes. LOL

Your driving the car Dave no one else.. good luck.

#485812 - 01/04/20 11:29 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

In my case, Donny, I've already done all the things everyone else dreamed of doing, but never got around to doing it. wink

Gary cool

#485845 - 01/04/20 04:39 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
The only Roland I never had was a bk-5 for 1 day. A lot of fanfare about it at the time. Was that the wrong model to judge them on?

#485849 - 01/04/20 05:36 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
In my case, Donny, I've already done all the things everyone else dreamed of doing, but never got around to doing it. wink

Gary cool
confused1
Everyone has different dreams... Just sayin...

#485850 - 01/04/20 05:42 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
The only Roland I never had was a bk-5 for 1 day. A lot of fanfare about it at the time. Was that the wrong model to judge them on?

What didn't you like or expect from the bk5?

#485851 - 01/04/20 05:50 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
What didn't you like or expect from the bk5?

Donny, I too had a BK-5. I was so pumped about it having the same quality as the BK-7M. When I started playing it...it was a let down as it didn't have the same depth and punch as the BK-7M.
I don't know if it was my imagination...but after doing some recording...the sound was definitely thin. I never recorded with the BK-7M, but the BK-5 was a disappointment.

#485854 - 01/04/20 06:40 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Jingleman even with EQ setup?
Maybe Fran can chime in?

#485865 - 01/05/20 02:07 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Maybe Fran can chime in?

To me it just sounded as though the DAC’s weren’t reproducing the quality that the higher end E series did. From what I’ve heard...the EA7 sounds much fuller.
I think Roland just missed the mark with the bk5, especially since the ea7 is just a few hundred dollars more. I love the Roland styles...but the bk5 just didn’t do them justice.

#485867 - 01/05/20 03:49 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, I think you are a bit crazy when it comes to keyboards, but I admire the part of you that’s true to yourself.

NOBODY knows Donny but Donny, Amen!

Donny, enjoy making your music, it’s part of you. There is only one regret I worry about, and that is not doing what I wanted to do.

The best to you, enjoy, smile big, and sing your heart out, John C.

PS, let us know how you are using and enjoying your Roland. Who knows I may be tempted -- Fran, Don, and now Donny????? Hmmmmmm?

Edited by bruno123 (01/05/20 03:51 AM)

#485868 - 01/05/20 05:20 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (01/08/20 08:03 AM)

#485875 - 01/05/20 07:10 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Donny, your keyboard search reminds me of a popular song; "I've been lookin' for love in all the wrong places"!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#485879 - 01/05/20 08:21 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Good luck Donny. Roland has a great sound and I especially like the live and crisp drum sounds.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#485882 - 01/05/20 08:28 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
Keep us posted on your progress on the EA7. If it had a solid full size keyboard I would be more than interested. Also if you do decide on an outboard VH .. Good Luck.

#485885 - 01/05/20 08:48 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

While I liked the size of the EA7, I felt that the sound was a bit too "boxy". I think the speaker chambers need to be larger, or deeper. There's plenty of power, but it doesn't show off the fullness of the sounds. Doesn't fill much of the space in front of the player. If you listen through a good system, it's much improved, but as I've said many times ... the internal speakers are an important monitor source for me, and if I don't like the sound in my face, it won't matter what it sounds like in the PA.
I've also become very comfortable with a larger touchscreen, and I see the dual, tiny screens as a step backwards.
Some navigational features are functional, and some are intuitive, and I think, without a lot of time spent on it, most of the other arranger products are easier to "drive" than the EA. I'm just weighing in with my thoughts after spending a day with it (Fran and I swapped when I had the EK-50), and it's purely subjective, as are all of our opinions. If I had to rate it, I'd give the sounds, and rhythms a solid A, but the screens, and button layout drop it down to a C+ for me.

Funny, I have so much Roland stuff in my studio (LOVE their amps, and effects) but the keys have been Korg, and Yamaha for the last 20 years. The last Roland arranger I had was the VA-7 ... I loved the sound, but hated the navigation.
Chocolate and Vanilla?
Perhaps.
Now, to enjoy my day off that the EAGLES have graciously provided me with. computer

#485886 - 01/05/20 09:16 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Dave
Onboard speakers are never going to give you a real evaluation of what the audience is hearing and was my reluctance to even using old style wedge monitors for years. I briefly used one of the ones with s 4' speaker on a mic stand but didn't like what I was missing. And personally IMHO I think they make a keyboard look less professional )
I keep one of my Eon Ones off to the side of me and with its dispersion I can hear everything perfectly. It has made singing so much easier with its clarity. Put your Bose behind you and off to the side and it should give you everything you need to hear.

#485889 - 01/05/20 09:59 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill, I couldn't agree more. I want to hear exactly what my audiences hear. I ALWAYS blocked the onboard sound system and relied strictly on the Bose for monitoring purposes. Worked for me!

Gary cool

#485891 - 01/05/20 10:59 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
[quote=Dnj

What didn't you like or expect from the bk5? [/quote]

The physical navigation and layout was biggest. The wheel was too sensitive and caused you to skip over desired selections and have to go back. And when reaching for the wheel, I often struck the large tone(sound) buttons with the underside of my wrist/hand. Didn't like that wheel the more I used it. Would have preferred buttons for those functions. When I tried it in the store, I was standing. Should have spent more in store time with it. Sitting at home made reaching the controls different.
And not enough variations of traditional styles I used.

#485915 - 01/05/20 04:00 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Good points for you guys, but not for me. Monitors are essential, because I often have to lower the room level, without lowering MY level. I tune a room to my ears counting my acoustic tone, the kb sounds, and the sound reinforcement. These 3 need to blend together to create the total sound that the audience hears.

#485922 - 01/05/20 04:36 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave, The customers are paying the bill, it is important that they like what they hear. Amen! They are hearing one thing, you another?????

I am not in any why saying your system is wrong, I just want to know the benefit of lowering a PA and not the keyboard and voice. I ask your opinion because there may be something I can learn.

Thanks, John C.

#485923 - 01/05/20 04:49 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (01/08/20 08:03 AM)

#485928 - 01/05/20 05:06 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I discovered the drawback of using the keyboard's onboard sound system as a monitor many years ago while playing a large senior center in Bel Air, Maryland. I was using the Bose L1 PAS system at the time, fired up the keyboard, activated my setup registration, then tinkled a few piano notes which sounded fine. The venue held about 300 ppl and there were about 250 in attendance. The crowd noise was somewhat loud and the acoustics were just awful, almost like playing in a gymnasium, hard tile walls, hardwood floors, lots of high, glass windows. This was one of the few times I did not fire up a midi file and do a walk around sound check.

The very first song I performed was Swinging Doors A Jukebox And A Bar Stool. This was a died in the wool country music audience and this song always went over well with them in the past. After the second song, with absolutely no audience response, a lady in the front row came up to me and asked if I could turn up the volume. So I cranked up the main on the keyboard, and she indicated that she still could not hear me. Then I looked down at the Bose L1 PAS, which is a real powerhouse of a PA system and noticed the power indicator light was not on - I had forgot to plug in the power cord. I could hear myself just fine, but the audience, obviously, could not. That never happened again, and I immediately inserted the dead head plug into the headphone jack on the keyboard and the audience came alive for the next two hours.

I'm not sure if anyone else made the same, stupid mistake I did that day, but I seriously doubt that I'm the Lone Ranger in this instance. wink

Like I stated earlier, I want to hear exactly what my audiences hear. If I don't like what I'm hearing, I'm sure they won't like it as well. As for the keyboard contributing to the overall sound quality with the onboard speakers, I seriously doubt that is the case. Granted, it contributes to what the player hears, but beyond that, I don't think the audiences hear anything other than what is emitted from the PA system at distances greater than 10 to 15 feet, even if the keyboard's volume was cranked up to max.

JMO,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/05/20 05:09 PM)

#485933 - 01/05/20 05:20 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I always do a sound check with recording of myself, and adjust as necessary ... and if there is someone in the audience whose 'ears' I trust, I will ask them to listen and let me know how it sounds ...
I love to hear myself through the KB monitors ...

Different folks ... different strokes ...

#485934 - 01/05/20 05:21 PM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Here it is in a nutshell. My "sound" consists of the combination of my voice, and the music that accompanies it. I create that blend in my stage space and the total combination of tones covers a small, 6-10ft area directly in front of me. In some rooms, that's all I need to cover, but for most others, I need to reinforce the sound throughout the room. Yup - that's why it's called sound reinforcement. smile

It's pretty simple, really ... I have one sound pressure level at the point of origin, and a mix of that sound that is fed into speakers that project the sound further out.
If I turn off the main system, my coverage is minimal, but it's balanced to please me, and hopefully to please the audiences that have hired me back for 50 years.
(first paid job was 1969, but had bands a few years prior)
When the sound of the room itself, is louder than my stage area, I need to turn up the main PA to fill the rest of the room, and many times I need to readjust that level more than once. The room has an ebb and flow ... a tempo, and an energy that I orchestrate. Volume, and presence are tools that I use to accomplish this.

The idea of monitoring from a tower behind me doesn't allow me to keep my sound "in my face", so I rely on that "up close" on stage presence to keep me honest. I am constantly aware of the room sound, and level, and I check and modify it as needed.

Every room is different, and ever performance is different, so I minimize the surprises by creating my "sonic bubble" to reside in ... during work hours. Works for me, cuz they keep asking me back. Not changing a thing.

#485943 - 01/06/20 04:05 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: jingleman]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By jingleman
Originally Posted By Dnj
Maybe Fran can chime in?

To me it just sounded as though the DAC’s weren’t reproducing the quality that the higher end E series did. From what I’ve heard...the EA7 sounds much fuller.
I think Roland just missed the mark with the bk5, especially since the ea7 is just a few hundred dollars more. I love the Roland styles...but the bk5 just didn’t do them justice.

With my old band , I switched from the Roland Prelude to the BK5.(Small footprint of the keyboards).
The Prelude definitely did sound better then the BK5 (from the built in speakers).
The BK5 did have a thinness to it.(most likely eq'd to allow the speakers handle the sounds).

It reminded me of older times using Roland JP8, Junos, and JX10....switching to Roland U20 . Thin sound was evident, but the samples of U20 were great.

The E-A7 is worth the difference in cost over the BK5.

It is worth mentioning the BK5 does shine when set up with a mixer and decent sound system... On stage it lacks nothing in the sound department. My old band still uses the BK5 and they sound great(even without me) smile

I also did not like the jog wheel on the BK5( I don't like the wheel on the BK9 also).
Navigation and features are so much better on the E-A7.

#485945 - 01/06/20 05:23 AM Re: 3rd Time is the Charm............. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Thank you Fran for clearing that up
I was think along those same lines also..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online