SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#485673 - 01/03/20 07:47 AM Style edit on SX-S series
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Jeremy See does a nice job showing this at 11:12 for you visual learners.
(like MOST of us, right?)

#485678 - 01/03/20 08:08 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Good information for after the basics are learned.Please note that I am referring to myself as a beginner(almost). I am sure the rest of you SXer's are on your way.

#485680 - 01/03/20 08:32 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

it's pretty much the same as previous Yamaha models using style editor..

#485684 - 01/03/20 08:50 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Nothing new, Dave, but he does a great job of explaining how to do this.

Thanks for posting,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#485690 - 01/03/20 10:27 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

I find it easier to save the edits as a registration setting. Of course, if you take parts from a different style, you have to save your creation as a new style.
Stuff I already knew, except the Live Control mute features. Nice video.

Edited by Beakybird (01/03/20 10:28 AM)

#485692 - 01/03/20 10:47 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Always nice to have a refresher course on style editing, especially a simple to understand video, and extra nice using a SX-900 touch screen.

Thanks to Jeremy See and to Dave for the heads-up

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#485708 - 01/03/20 04:20 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
His ideas were great.

Only thing I found a bit too simplistic, was when he suggested recording your own style part in C major.
One really needs to check the reference manual as to what notes can be used for style tracks, also what settings.

Good find Dave.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485713 - 01/03/20 05:02 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I learned a little something...Thanks,

#485715 - 01/03/20 05:13 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: leeboy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
If I understand what is being said (admittedly without looking at the video) I believe that in KORG if you create a style it has to be in the key of C so that it will properly transpose when you play it in any other key

#485717 - 01/03/20 05:27 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
If I understand what is being said (admittedly without looking at the video) I believe that in KORG if you create a style it has to be in the key of C so that it will properly transpose when you play it in any other key

Same with Yamaha - has to be in C-maj when created.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#485719 - 01/03/20 06:52 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
No way. Probably because it’s the easiest, they choose C.
Korg settings are amazing. As long as you have the correct setting for the track you can record in whatever key you want.
I did a lot of experimenting years ago when I had the PA800. I deliberately set each track to a different key, ie bass key of c , guitar key of d, etc ( they were recorded in the keys I set them too , of course) couldn’t listen to it whilst in record mode, because of the different keys, but once I saved as style, it played back perfectly. All to do with the settings. Each track worked off it’s own key.
Not something one would normally do, just wanted to see how far I could push it.

Yamaha has a heap of settings also, haven’t checked into those. I have my doubts it’s as sophisticated as Korg, but I could be wrong.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485722 - 01/03/20 07:16 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: rikkisbears]
tony mads usa Offline

Rikki, I will bow to your experience and knowledge, but I thought I read that when creating a style in KORG it had to be in C ...

#485727 - 01/03/20 08:50 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Rikki, I will bow to your experience and knowledge, but I thought I read that when creating a style in KORG it had to be in C ...

Hi Tony,
If you go into style record in some of the onboard styles, I’m pretty sure you’ll see settings other than for scale of C.

Let’s face it you can’t get an easier scale to work with. Haha.

The older more simple Korg styles were quite often based on Cmaj7 chord, they only needed the 1 cv per variation. Ie no matter what chord you played , it would play back correctly.

That’s all I ever did when I converted my Psr styles across to Korg. CMaj7. The early psr styles were based on that chord.
Also finally dawned on me why I had redone some of my conversions when I bought Pa4x.
When I did them originally for Pa3x I hadn’t realised newer psr styles had guitar mode tracks, ( they got more sophisticated too) and that I hadn’t gotten round to fixing them.
It was just easier to start over as I was no longer using Pa3x.

I actually picked up on it when I sold my Pa3x , some of the stuff was not playing back quite correctly. ( embarrassing. haha) I deleted them.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485735 - 01/03/20 10:52 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Some new style parameters were introduced with the Pa800 that brought Korg about on-par with Yamaha as far as style control. They both have very similar parameters, which is one of the reasons styles convert pretty well from Y to K, and vice-versa. Both are way ahead of Roland in this important regard.

Surprisingly the top-end Casios allow a decent amount of control, but they take a different approach combining many settings in one table. Also, there isn't near as much content, either factory or user-created.

Edited by TedS (01/03/20 10:52 PM)

#485740 - 01/04/20 12:59 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway

Remember the same thing when create styles at Technics as well, I think I did read it somewhere in manuals, as well as been told that it had to be done in the key of C to work properly.
I got the impression that this is common at all brands to make it sound and work right both in major and minor when play whatever key as we usually do when use the styles.
Of course it's possible to make parts in other keys for use as sequenses or composerparts etc. I had, or maybe still have some styles where intro and endings etc. is created in other keys, but then you have to play in the key it's created, or else it did not sound any good at all.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#485742 - 01/04/20 01:32 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My question: And why not the key of C major?

Rikki, If there is a reason to record in another key please let us know.
John C.

#485746 - 01/04/20 02:27 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]

It is my opinion that you must start with a desire to change our boring styles. An arranger keyboard is an effort to create a live band; yet many players select a style, change variations, use fills and break –and there is nothing wrong with that, but you will never sound like a live band, or close to a live band, until you take the boring out of your styles.

Much of this was covered by the video.

Listen to a band play the song you are working on, program your keyboard to the same thing.

Basic:

1-Change the volume, or shut off parts of the style – Korg has three assignable switches on the left side: I set them to: Bass off. Drums off, and Acc. off, while adding the pads. Yamaha has live controls, not as good, but they do the job.
2-Change Acc. instruments. I am playing a laid back Jazz sog. The guitar does not seem to fit, I change to Piano Grand. Nice!
3-Use the EQ and reverbs controls in the mixer for the Acc. and RT1,2,3, left.

Advanced:
1-Copying a Acc. from another style. Technics had that many years ago.
2-Recording one of the Acc. with your idea.
More advanced:
The fantastic options of have 8 Regs. Thank you, Yamaha.

Between the factory preset styles, and the many we have downloaded, it is possible to find a style that is close to the one you start with, a style that is almost the same, but yet a bit different – it adds something special, something different. AND save it in one of the Regs. This is another way to make the last part of your song more exciting.

Any comments, or ideas are welcome, please.
John C.

#485757 - 01/04/20 06:39 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

how many people here are really doing major style editing on their arranger keyboards....reading some of these posts it seems most just want to find a style close enough and push start and play with minimum effort in the tweaking department....or use a stripped down mute parts version......vs digging deep into major part edits, changes, re records, etc etc ..

#485764 - 01/04/20 07:29 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Did a lot editing years ago when used Technics and still was active in a duo or also as trio.
Mostly bass and drums and some soundmuting in styleparts.
Nowadays it's zillions of great styles to choose from, specially made for Yamaha, and most
often it's just some minor adjustments nessesary to make it fit and sound desent to the songs I want to play.
In other words, I've got lazy deLuxe and do it the easy way.... sit down, pick a style and have fun. 😁
🎵🎵🎵🎹🎵🎵🎵
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#485767 - 01/04/20 07:40 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
All arranger keyboards are designed to use "C" as the basic received key, for uniformity.
If you record your data in say, Ab, when you play the key of "C" in recognition, you will hear the key of Ab.

Same goes for sampling, you have to give the key you are sampling in, so the keyboard can translate properly.

#485768 - 01/04/20 07:46 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
All arranger keyboards are designed to use "C" as the basic received key, for uniformity.
If you record your data in say, Ab, when you play the key of "C" in recognition, you will hear the key of Ab.

Same goes for sampling, you have to give the key you are sampling in, so the keyboard can translate properly.

Exactly Fran....well said..

#485781 - 01/04/20 08:55 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
how many people here are really doing major style editing on their arranger keyboards....reading some of these posts it seems most just want to find a style close enough and push start and play with minimum effort in the tweaking department....or use a stripped down mute parts version......vs digging deep into major part edits, changes, re records, etc etc ..

The vast majority of styles on my Pa900 have been 'tweaked' to some extent, even if only to change factory voices or pads (sometimes I wonder what the designers were thinking when assigning voices and pads to a particular style) ...

While the style assigned to a particular song has been edited, named, and saved in another location for THAT song, how I use the style may depend on the venue ... In most 'Senior' venues (NH/AL) my main goal is to get the audience singing along with me - and dancing when they can - so the variations and nuances added by Pads, etc. are pretty much lost ... In a setting where the audience is pretty much just listening to me, those little 'nuances' become more important.

#485782 - 01/04/20 09:04 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Try using only the multipads for an UNPLUGGED treatment
while playing/singing a song....maybe a guitar ballad strum etc..
gives a nice chage of pace in a program.

#485798 - 01/04/20 09:48 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Yes, Donny, I've done that ... works very well for the right song ...

#485844 - 01/04/20 04:37 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Dnj]

how many people here are really doing major style editing on their arranger keyboards....reading some of these posts it seems most just want to find a style close enough and push start and play with minimum effort in the tweaking department....or use a stripped down mute parts version......vs digging deep into major part edits, changes, re records, etc etc .. Doony

Come on Donny, this is a great topic, I didn’t complain reading about your keyboard crazys. (smile)

We are sharing what we know, trying to help others.
John C.

#485847 - 01/04/20 04:43 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
My question: And why not the key of C major?

Rikki, If there is a reason to record in another key please let us know.
John C.

Hi John,
I have no idea why anyone would want to record in other than the key of C , only know that it’s possible.

Maybe not necessarily the best key for Eastern music ? really don’t know. A lot of non western Korg owners create their own styles. Maybe they need choice.

Only time I might use it , would be if I was using a couple of bars from a midi file track to create a style track or even a multi pad.
Easier to set the correct scale and chord type, in settings , than transpose the file.
If the settings are correct the keyboard will follow and do its job .

I think even our SX styles can be recorded in different keys if one needs to

Quote page 22 reference manual

Set the Source Root/Chord if necessary
Although the default Source Root/Chord is set to CM7 as described above, you can change this to any desired one in which you can play easily. Call up the “SFF Edit” display, set the Source Root and Chord to the favorite or desired Root and Chord type. Keep in mind that when you change the Source Chord from the default CM7 to another chord, the chord notes and recommended notes will also change. For details, refer to page 27.

Makes interesting reading for anyone interested in recording styles.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485855 - 01/04/20 06:59 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I don't "edit" styles, per se... but I do change the instruments if they don't fit what I'm attempting to accomplish with the song. Multi-pads often fill voids if needed. One of my greatest "gripes" is the Mega Voices. Often, when they are replaced with another instrument... the new selection sounds terrible because of the programming used to create the Mega voice. Often accompanied by a high-pitched squeal.

When that happens, I have to turn off that "track" and improvise.

The good news... Arrangers are still great... and if that particular style does not work, others can be found eventually.

Rikki... I hope the fires have not impacted you. Pretty terrible event going on in NSW.

----Dave

#485866 - 01/05/20 03:30 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Riceroni9]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
I don't "edit" styles, per se... but I do change the instruments if they don't fit what I'm attempting to accomplish with the song. Multi-pads often fill voids if needed. One of my greatest "gripes" is the Mega Voices. Often, when they are replaced with another instrument... the new selection sounds terrible because of the programming used to create the Mega voice. Often accompanied by a high-pitched squeal.

When that happens, I have to turn off that "track" and improvise.

The good news... Arrangers are still great... and if that particular style does not work, others can be found eventually.

Rikki... I hope the fires have not impacted you. Pretty terrible event going on in NSW.

----Dave

Hi Dave,
have you ever considered replacing the track using Assembly function? I suppose it depends on how many styles you would need to alter.
So many of the styles have carried thru from the earlier model keyboards, maybe there’s a duplicate style available without mega voice that you could copy from.
That way you’re still using your original style with a track replacement.

Thank you for asking Dave, closest fire to us at the moment is about 20 miles away.
So reasonably safe. Just a lot of smoke for the last few weeks.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485870 - 01/05/20 06:24 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Rikki:

Glad to know you are a few miles away from the fire(s) down there.

My use of styles is somewhat different than those who perform. Once I've made a reasonably acceptable recording, I maintain a "log" of settings for that song and attach it to the lyric and chord sheet, then file a hard copy away. That way, years later, I can return if needed and re-record the song using slight changes... or even major changes. I know, this is a "dinosaur" approach but it works for me and I've lost more computers (and the material they contain) than I care to mention.

Now, I never connect the music storage and editing computer(s) to the Internet. The only risk occurs when I transfer files using memory sticks.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Assembly Function. At my age, time is my enemy. LOL!

Regards, ----Dave

#485893 - 01/05/20 11:34 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Riceroni9]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Hi Rikki:

Glad to know you are a few miles away from the fire(s) down there.

My use of styles is somewhat different than those who perform. Once I've made a reasonably acceptable recording, I maintain a "log" of settings for that song and attach it to the lyric and chord sheet, then file a hard copy away. That way, years later, I can return if needed and re-record the song using slight changes... or even major changes. I know, this is a "dinosaur" approach but it works for me and I've lost more computers (and the material they contain) than I care to mention.

Now, I never connect the music storage and editing computer(s) to the Internet. The only risk occurs when I transfer files using memory sticks.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Assembly Function. At my age, time is my enemy. LOL!

Regards, ----Dave

Hi Dave,
fair enough.

Actually until SX., I used to just jot down which style / styles to use for a song , on my sheet music. ( in pencil though, kept changing my mind . Haha).
I don’t record though, sound better in my own head than in reality. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online