SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#485719 - 01/03/20 06:52 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
If I understand what is being said (admittedly without looking at the video) I believe that in KORG if you create a style it has to be in the key of C so that it will properly transpose when you play it in any other key

Hi Tony,
No way. Probably because it’s the easiest, they choose C.
Korg settings are amazing. As long as you have the correct setting for the track you can record in whatever key you want.
I did a lot of experimenting years ago when I had the PA800. I deliberately set each track to a different key, ie bass key of c , guitar key of d, etc ( they were recorded in the keys I set them too , of course) couldn’t listen to it whilst in record mode, because of the different keys, but once I saved as style, it played back perfectly. All to do with the settings. Each track worked off it’s own key.
Not something one would normally do, just wanted to see how far I could push it.

Yamaha has a heap of settings also, haven’t checked into those. I have my doubts it’s as sophisticated as Korg, but I could be wrong.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485722 - 01/03/20 07:16 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: rikkisbears]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Rikki, I will bow to your experience and knowledge, but I thought I read that when creating a style in KORG it had to be in C ...

#485727 - 01/03/20 08:50 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Rikki, I will bow to your experience and knowledge, but I thought I read that when creating a style in KORG it had to be in C ...

Hi Tony,
If you go into style record in some of the onboard styles, I’m pretty sure you’ll see settings other than for scale of C.

Let’s face it you can’t get an easier scale to work with. Haha.

The older more simple Korg styles were quite often based on Cmaj7 chord, they only needed the 1 cv per variation. Ie no matter what chord you played , it would play back correctly.

That’s all I ever did when I converted my Psr styles across to Korg. CMaj7. The early psr styles were based on that chord.
Also finally dawned on me why I had redone some of my conversions when I bought Pa4x.
When I did them originally for Pa3x I hadn’t realised newer psr styles had guitar mode tracks, ( they got more sophisticated too) and that I hadn’t gotten round to fixing them.
It was just easier to start over as I was no longer using Pa3x.

I actually picked up on it when I sold my Pa3x , some of the stuff was not playing back quite correctly. ( embarrassing. haha) I deleted them.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485735 - 01/03/20 10:52 PM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Some new style parameters were introduced with the Pa800 that brought Korg about on-par with Yamaha as far as style control. They both have very similar parameters, which is one of the reasons styles convert pretty well from Y to K, and vice-versa. Both are way ahead of Roland in this important regard.

Surprisingly the top-end Casios allow a decent amount of control, but they take a different approach combining many settings in one table. Also, there isn't near as much content, either factory or user-created.

Edited by TedS (01/03/20 10:52 PM)

#485740 - 01/04/20 12:59 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: tony mads usa]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway

Remember the same thing when create styles at Technics as well, I think I did read it somewhere in manuals, as well as been told that it had to be done in the key of C to work properly.
I got the impression that this is common at all brands to make it sound and work right both in major and minor when play whatever key as we usually do when use the styles.
Of course it's possible to make parts in other keys for use as sequenses or composerparts etc. I had, or maybe still have some styles where intro and endings etc. is created in other keys, but then you have to play in the key it's created, or else it did not sound any good at all.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#485742 - 01/04/20 01:32 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My question: And why not the key of C major?

Rikki, If there is a reason to record in another key please let us know.
John C.

#485746 - 01/04/20 02:27 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It is my opinion that you must start with a desire to change our boring styles. An arranger keyboard is an effort to create a live band; yet many players select a style, change variations, use fills and break –and there is nothing wrong with that, but you will never sound like a live band, or close to a live band, until you take the boring out of your styles.

Much of this was covered by the video.

Listen to a band play the song you are working on, program your keyboard to the same thing.

Basic:

1-Change the volume, or shut off parts of the style – Korg has three assignable switches on the left side: I set them to: Bass off. Drums off, and Acc. off, while adding the pads. Yamaha has live controls, not as good, but they do the job.
2-Change Acc. instruments. I am playing a laid back Jazz sog. The guitar does not seem to fit, I change to Piano Grand. Nice!
3-Use the EQ and reverbs controls in the mixer for the Acc. and RT1,2,3, left.

Advanced:
1-Copying a Acc. from another style. Technics had that many years ago.
2-Recording one of the Acc. with your idea.
More advanced:
The fantastic options of have 8 Regs. Thank you, Yamaha.

Between the factory preset styles, and the many we have downloaded, it is possible to find a style that is close to the one you start with, a style that is almost the same, but yet a bit different – it adds something special, something different. AND save it in one of the Regs. This is another way to make the last part of your song more exciting.

Any comments, or ideas are welcome, please.
John C.

#485757 - 01/04/20 06:39 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

how many people here are really doing major style editing on their arranger keyboards....reading some of these posts it seems most just want to find a style close enough and push start and play with minimum effort in the tweaking department....or use a stripped down mute parts version......vs digging deep into major part edits, changes, re records, etc etc ..

#485764 - 01/04/20 07:29 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Did a lot editing years ago when used Technics and still was active in a duo or also as trio.
Mostly bass and drums and some soundmuting in styleparts.
Nowadays it's zillions of great styles to choose from, specially made for Yamaha, and most
often it's just some minor adjustments nessesary to make it fit and sound desent to the songs I want to play.
In other words, I've got lazy deLuxe and do it the easy way.... sit down, pick a style and have fun. 😁
🎵🎵🎵🎹🎵🎵🎵
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#485767 - 01/04/20 07:40 AM Re: Style edit on SX-S series [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
All arranger keyboards are designed to use "C" as the basic received key, for uniformity.
If you record your data in say, Ab, when you play the key of "C" in recognition, you will hear the key of Ab.

Same goes for sampling, you have to give the key you are sampling in, so the keyboard can translate properly.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online