SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#482561 - 12/01/19 03:31 PM Nature is more complex than some think
Crossover Offline

Some people seem to depend on dichotomies. Some dichotomies are illusions.

https://isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex/

#482802 - 12/03/19 04:18 PM Re: Nature is more complex than some think [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

#482833 - 12/04/19 06:12 AM Re: Nature is more complex than some think [Re: Crossover]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I guess that would be of a bad taste if I mentioned some recent episodes of South Park here :-)

I think we still have to acknowledge that people need to see most of things as simple, even if they know that it is more complicated inside. It's a sort of a practical ignorance, which helps to see the world as a simple thing.

Certainly the more we know the more we have to change. It's usually hard for parents and children to understand each other as they have to deal with different challenges.

In Russia there's still a lot of homophobia, but we know that even UK had some laws against homosexuality quite recently, so these changes take time. The reason I mention it is that some polls say that younger people show more tolerance and more openminded, while older people, raised in Soviet culture, have more prejudices and objections towards this subject. Not to mention such regions of Caucasus as Chechnya, where gay people are illegally persecuted by authorities.

Perhaps, that would be of a bad taste either to declare that I'm not a gay person myself, but I just want to articulate that it disturbs me even if it doesn't affect me directly.

The problem is that the scientific data, which is usually an unbiased truth is usually not enough for people to change their views; sometimes people choose to live their lifes with a certain picture of the world where everything is as it should be. And if we want to leave in peace we should somehow find a compromise between biases and the truth, as, after all, we still have to live together.

#482849 - 12/04/19 11:01 AM Re: Nature is more complex than some think [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

You‘re right that people don‘t like the world to be too complex, and if something occurs with 1 percent frequency only, they tend to ignore it.
Speaking about intersex, which is what the links refer to, it‘s a biologically detectable mixture of the male and female sex, either on the level of chromosomes or hormonal functions or sometimes also genitals. The problem about the latter cases is that doctors like to play God and „correct“ ambiguous genitals in babies, and in some of these cases it later turns out that these persons have a different brain sex that doesn‘t match what the doctors did. So that‘s a big discussion now.
In Germany the highest court has ruled that a third gender be introduced in official documents for those who were born intersex and can‘t identify with either male or female. That is only true for a small minority, most intersex people do see themselves as either male or female. This all is ridiculed by a part of the population. Some, as you say, either don‘t change their thinking despite biological facts or indications, or they even deny that these facts exist.

#483344 - 12/09/19 01:20 PM Re: Nature is more complex than some think [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

Broadcast from Australian public TV:

Edited by Crossover (12/09/19 01:24 PM)

#483861 - 12/12/19 07:54 AM Re: Nature is more complex than some think [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

Written by a medical doctor of immunology:

"Between XX and XY: Intersexuality and the Myth of Two Sexes"

https://www.amazon.de/dp/1556527853/ref=...PVqt2OSjBCoEyrs

Edited by Crossover (12/12/19 07:55 AM)

#485226 - 12/27/19 10:04 AM Re: Nature is more complex than some think [Re: Crossover]
Crossover Offline

Very informative article about biologists (note: biologists, not ideologists) increasingly assessing sex rather as a spectrum instead of a strictly binary thing:

https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefine...rLap_-nMQSPihwI

Edited by Crossover (12/28/19 12:22 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online