SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#485057 - 12/24/19 06:04 AM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We are all renaissance men (and women) mastering all the arts.

I'm also a semi-pro photographer. I shoot events and special projects, I also shoot portraits and wildlife. It's incredible how camera equipment has evolved to this point with so many amazing cameras and lenses. It is NOT a cheap hobby, that's for sure.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#485075 - 12/24/19 08:32 AM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: kbrkr]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By kbrkr
We are all renaissance men (and women) mastering all the arts.

I'm also a semi-pro photographer. I shoot events and special projects, I also shoot portraits and wildlife. It's incredible how camera equipment has evolved to this point with so many amazing cameras and lenses. It is NOT a cheap hobby, that's for sure.

And yet....it's a lot cheaper than it used to be for the same or better level of quality. Technological advances, especially in software, have made equipment smaller, lighter, and with features unheard of in their price range just a few years ago. Of course, to paraphrase Paul (Montunoman), it's not the camera, it's the photographer. My beef is, too many automated features that inhibit the average 'joe blow' from learning the 'basics' of photography. Makes too many amateurs think they're better than they really are (aka arranger syndrome). BUT hey, maybe that's not a bad thing. Different strokes......

chas

#485076 - 12/24/19 09:32 AM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

I use my phone much easier

#485080 - 12/24/19 10:32 AM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By Dnj

Unfortunately Donny, you won't be able to hang that enlarged family portrait over the fireplace with only 12mp.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#485082 - 12/24/19 10:47 AM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Which is ok for a lot of things, it depends on what you're taking a picture of and why you're taking it. Grandkids, yes. $20k African safari, NO. There is rarely a single solution for anything, plus, to each his own.

chas

#485085 - 12/24/19 11:09 AM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

And who wil Look at these African safari pics
.. After the first time they end up in a drawer with all the rest? Or In a pc file pic hoarding is really a disease too... Just like gear and stuff hoarding... It just ain't for me. Almost time for wine and antipasti oh yea!
Bruscetta, jumbo shrimp, sopresata, mozzarella prosciutto, Genoa salami, roasted peppers, lobster,
Colombian empanadas, cold seafood salad, baked clams, marinated mushrooms, stuffed cabinelli peppers, delmonico, and wagu beef steaks, prime rib roast, assorted sides, bottles of red and white wine... Oh baby it's Christmas eve.....
Then at midnight we open presents for everyone one at a time!

Edited by Dnj (12/24/19 11:23 AM)

#485098 - 12/24/19 12:20 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The close up image (selfie distance) is so distorted from ANY phone camera that It is only marginally useful as a reference for an illustration.

That being said, they are convenient and fun.

Chas is right. In this age of aperture preferred mode, shutter speed preferred, assignable spot metering, up to 10 frames a second, many people, some pros, even, substitute quantity for careful composition.

Phone cameras are GREAT for some....Just not for me...EVER!

Russ

#485104 - 12/24/19 01:18 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
.. After the first time they end up in a drawer with all the rest? It just ain't for me. Almost time for wine and antipasti oh yea!
Bruscetta, jumbo shrimp, sopresata, mozzarella prosciutto, Genoa salami, roasted peppers, lobster,
Colombian empanadas, cold seafood salad, baked clams, marinated mushrooms, stuffed cabinelli peppers, delmonico, and wagu beef steaks, prime rib roast, assorted sides, bottles of red and white wine...

Some people think there is more to life than eating and drinking. Life, REAL LIFE, is more than just what is happening in the moment and certainly more than just the superficial pleasures that have little meaning in the overall scheme of things. Hedonism is rarely accompanied by empathy for others (like the thousands and millions who have NO food and not even clean water to drink). I'm not religious but I do believe in the SPIRIT of Christmas and that it should be more about others than ourselves and more about giving than receiving. JMO, though. Certain members of my family, either through death or illness, are not around to celebrate Christmas with us this year; I am so thankful for the pictures and videos that I have of them to remind me of the wonderful times we spent together and to keep their memories alive and fresh in my aging mind.

chas

#485108 - 12/24/19 02:26 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
.. After the first time they end up in a drawer with all the rest? It just ain't for me. Almost time for wine and antipasti oh yea!
Colombian empanadas, cold seafood salad, baked clams, marinated mushrooms, stuffed cabinelli peppers, delmonico, and wagu beef steaks, prime rib roast, assorted sides, bottles of red and white wine...

Some people think there is more to life than eating and drinking. Life, REAL LIFE, is more than just what is happening in the moment and certainly more than just the superficial pleasures that have little meaning in the overall scheme of things. Hedonism is rarely accompanied by empathy for others (like the thousands and millions who have NO food and not even clean water to drink). I'm not religious but I do believe in the SPIRIT of Christmas and that it should be more about others than ourselves and more about giving than receiving. JMO, though. Certain members of my family, either through death or illness, are not around to celebrate Christmas with us this year; I am so thankful for the pictures and videos that I have of them to remind me of the wonderful times we spent together and to keep their memories alive and fresh in my aging mind.

chas

Chas just because some have more doesn't mean they don't give to others in many ways. They made their path in life.
We all make our choices in life and if some choose to go the wrong way that is on them. I have memories of my past experiences & of people I love and adore also I don't need to look at pictures to do that.
....just close your eyes.

#485115 - 12/24/19 03:05 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Ok, it's Christmas. Some (most) of us cherish the photographic memories that brighten our spirits and keep fading memories fresh in our minds. For others, this obviously matters less. I say, to each his own but what I fail to comprehend is why you seem to have this compelling need to make anything that you don't personally subscribe to (or didn't originate with you), a negative thing. It's like, if YOU don't do it, then it's bad. Hey, get in the Christmas spirit, you don't have to pour cold water on everyone else's pleasures. There are more ways to view the world than just how you see everything (ex. - memorize all lyrics, "I don't need no stinkin' lyrics sheet".....and neither should you). Or always enthusiastically encouraging people to buy stuff they either can't afford, don't necessarily want, or have made clear they don't need. We've seen how well that works out for you. AND MOST OF ALL, for someone that doesn't see the need for pictures or cameras or videocams, who is it that MOST asks other members to "take pictures or videos". One guess smile smile.

Donny, you are a man of contradictions, but hey, it's Christmas so have a good one and watch those calories (you DO want to stay photogenic, right? smile ). And if anything exciting happens, make sure to 'take pictures or videos'.

Happy holidays,

chas

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online