SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#485061 - 12/24/19 07:18 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The last time I saw John Denver perform, he was out in front of a 40 piece orchestra.

Gotta admit, though, I never peeked beneath the stage of a rock band. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#485064 - 12/24/19 07:26 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

R.I.P. JD

#485065 - 12/24/19 07:27 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I never peeked beneath the stage of a rock band. wink

I had really bad seats for a Fleetwood Mac concert - we were directly to the side of the stage, and hidden behind a wall, behind Mick (the drummer) was a young buck playing a digital drum kit. He played every song, and no doubt, had his audio feed pumped into the main house along with the acoustic drums that Mick was playing, but here's the thing ... at the end of the show, when the band took their bows - they never had the kid come out from behind. He was a hired gun that stayed in the shadows. Still, a good gig, but with all the tech today, he should have been featured on stage. My guess is that the bog boss wanted everyone to think he was making all that glorious sound. Yeah, right.

Henni's right - there's an interesting interview with David Rosenthal (Billy Joel's keyboard player) that shows you the triple backups they use with PCs, ipads, and redundant keyboard gear. Pretty high tech.

#485067 - 12/24/19 07:32 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

all these concerts, broadway shows, etc, are all smoke and mirrors
but they pull it off at your expense......
Tix, parking, transportation to & from, dinner, etc,..
not a bad thing but an expensive thing for two hours..
who cares life is too short enjoy it.
Took the family to the Planetarium Christmas LASER Light Show
last night and singalong all I could say is WOW!!

Attachments
planetarium-laser-show.jpg

Edited by Dnj (12/24/19 07:35 AM)

#485086 - 12/24/19 11:10 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I fair to see any benefit from most, if not all, software based players, especially for someone that never appears in front of a live audience or sells their musical creations.

There are so, so many powerful tools at built into our arranger keyboards that are right there at our fingertips that never get used to their fullest extent, and some are never used at all because the player/owner has never taken the time to explore all the possibilities and features.

I know of several players that have never taken their owners manual out of the zip-lock back it arrived in with their new keyboards. Yet, these are the same folks that are constantly on line posting questions how to perform a certain task, or complaining that the keyboard cannot do this of that, when it actually can but they never cracked the manual to discover how.

Every style, voice and sound can be edited right on the keyboard, then that information saved to a registration so it can be instantly recalled at the touch of a single button, and this can all be done while performing in real time. I made a damned good living for more than 30 years on stage and never found a use for ANY computer generated voice or sound. No VSTs, none of that stuff. I messed with Band in a Box and several other programs, but never really found a need for them over all the fantastic features already at my fingertips, features that were also very user friendly.

Lean to work with what you already have!

Gary cool

There is no bennefit to software arrangers..
They just copy some (or a lot) of features from a hardware arranger..
Witouth the dedicated workflow (interface)

Thats why i said, that to become really worth it, they need to have all thing the big ones have... and then some more to make them really unique...

Can anyone here name one reason to choose a software arranger above a Genos/Pa4x/SD9? (Except a financial one)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#485101 - 12/24/19 12:57 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Maby one day a nice software arranger will arrive on the iPad. How hard can it be? There are tons of remakes of vintage synths so it would be fun to see a remake of a vintage arranger. Keep hoping.

#485105 - 12/24/19 01:22 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Generally, I agree with the ease of use,navigation,and functionality of the TOTL arrangers.There are some,however, that want to delay obsolescence with added software enhancements. One can say that the software was not up to par with the arrangers, and they are trying to catch up, but some of these features have been added to vA2 eg,that only the most expensive keyboards can match. This is at a cost of $400 instead of $4000. Some would think this difference is worth a little quirkiness. Dan is a prime example of providing countless enhancements for free.

The other is from a physical standpoint of being vastly lighter and a small footprint. So, I think both markets are viable.

Bernie

Edited by Bernie9 (12/24/19 01:23 PM)

#485129 - 12/24/19 10:34 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Generally, I agree with the ease of use,navigation,and functionality of the TOTL arrangers.There are some,however, that want to delay obsolescence with added software enhancements. One can say that the software was not up to par with the arrangers, and they are trying to catch up, but some of these features have been added to vA2 eg,that only the most expensive keyboards can match. This is at a cost of $400 instead of $4000. Some would think this difference is worth a little quirkiness. Dan is a prime example of providing countless enhancements for free.

The other is from a physical standpoint of being vastly lighter and a small footprint. So, I think both markets are viable.

Bernie

Dont get me wrong, i think v-arranger is a great product at its price €350 +€100/sound set. However, what does it add for me as a Genos owner?

And if you consider it as an arranger module, how does it compare to hardware arranger modules? And how cheap is it if you want to run it on a dedicated laptop/tablet?

Thats why i think that they need to offer unique features to be a viable choice over hardware,... and yes there are 2 unique features on the v-arranger, vst support and support for all arranger brand styles... so thats a first step..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#485133 - 12/25/19 01:52 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
A Genos is a great keyboard (Just not my cup of tea) with loads of sounds and easy play features to keep users going for ages, however it sucks when it comes to in depth use, editing and adding additional voices etc.

A Montage (Or any Synth/Workstation) gives fantastic sounds, in-depth editing and a boat load of new sounds, however you have to put the work in as there are no easy play features to get you going, or if you just want to sit down and play a tune on the fly.

To solve this problem is easy, just get a Genos and a Montage (Or any other combinations) and you will have the best of both worlds, but it is expensive and each will have features you don’t need.

Enter Software, you want fantastic sounds and in depth editing for your Genos etc. then get a computer (A decent one is not that expensive these days) add some VSTs and you have a sound quality and flexibility a fraction of the price of adding a Montage (Or other Synth/Workstation) and also less bulk.
The same applies to the Montage (Or other synth/Workstation) in that you can add a computer and run a program like vArranger (Or any of the other arranger software out there) to give you all the easy play features of the Genos, for a fraction of the price with less bulk.

Would you need VSTs if you had a Montage? (Or other synth/Workstation) probably not, likewise if you had a Genos would you need vArranger? (Or other software arranger) probably not, as in both cases you are duplicating what you already have.

All of them have their place, (There is no one size fits all) so just get the combination that suits your circumstances and stop trying to make out that there is one keyboard that can do it all, as that is just complete nonsense. (Just like an Acoustic Guitar cannot do what an Electric Guitar can do, and vice versa)

A good example of how adding a computer (In this case built into the instrument) can expand the users horizons can be found here

Bill

Edited by abacus (12/25/19 01:57 AM)
Edit Reason: Added additional info

#485140 - 12/25/19 05:23 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
What I like about software is that I now own a mini moog, a oberheim, a Korg wavestation, a M1 etc. I never could afford these synths but now I have them as a app and I love them. It is just what you want to do and almost everything is possible nowadays.

Edited by FransN (12/25/19 05:24 AM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online