SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#484847 - 12/22/19 08:45 AM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Groovyband Live! cannot be classified under the soft synths. It is also definitely not a supplier of new styles.

The sole purpose for really using Groovyband Live! is to make an older PSR sound MUCH more in line with a SX900 or even a Genos using the much older Yamaha style engine.

If you cannot verify the above by simply either playing with the free demo version or by listening to the numerous demos posted, then you are purely biased - period!

Please do not try to play the two brands against each other. Both developers are extremely talented, but they target different markets.

1. Because I have a PSR S770 only
2. Because I would love a SX900/Genos
3. Because I could NOT! afford the upgrade
4. I've found in Groovyband Live! the total solution to my personal scenario

And just because I did, I have no intention of going around stirring or bashing another product as I have no hidden motives and do not suffer from tunnel vision.

I'd rather spend my energy in demonstrating the specific product I use by posting demos that I've created with it personally. Why don't the rest of you follow suite? Demo your preferred product to us - this way we all learn & we all grow. Talk is cheap yet is so carelessly & ceaselessly dished out...

Some of you own the one product but not the other, some invested in neither - what are you basing your facts upon when you make your statements? Live and let live. Divide the total earth population by the number of current users of the above and you just MIGHT realize there is ample market for both developers to expand their respective products.

#484860 - 12/22/19 12:47 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
No one has answered the question of existing registrations on my 970. I want to beef up the drums and effects, but not at the expense of starting from scratch with new registrations.

#484861 - 12/22/19 12:51 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Dnj
vArranger VS Groovyband Differences?
What are the differences between the two programs....?

Hi Donny,
not the same thing. Comparing apples with oranges, really.

VA2, is designed to play styles from different manufacturers.
Groovyband Live looks like it’s designed to improve styles and functions on Yamaha keyboards, by giving them a new engine.

I’ve downloaded it, not sure what difference it would make to my sx apart from giving extra variations. I haven’t had a chance to actually try it yet .

Must admit I was interested if I was able to use it with my p121 as controller and the sx as sound source, but unfortunately then discovered I couldn’t use my User styles,
( unless I misunderstood something) some of the psr factory styles I use are missing from Groovyband .
Plus I will be modifying a number of the factory styles on my sx, I copy and paste style tracks. If the resulting styles can’t be used, software isn’t of any use to me.

Edited by rikkisbears (12/22/19 12:52 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#484863 - 12/22/19 12:58 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Why do people need so many styles?
To sound as authentic as possible, with a specific songstyle..
And don’t have the capabilities or time to create their own styles.

When can you work with a smaller set of styles?
When you don’t care about authenticy, but are a musician that intends to make his own version of a song..

top keyboards sd90, Genos and pa4x have a whole plethora of tools to create your own styles or edit excisting ones..

The fun thing about todays arrangers is that they fit all these needs..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#484865 - 12/22/19 01:08 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Bernie9]
Henni Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
No one has answered the question of existing registrations on my 970. I want to beef up the drums and effects, but not at the expense of starting from scratch with new registrations.

No Bernie,

They won't work. Styles are treated COMPLETELY different than on the Yamaha, hence the VAST improvement in sound quality. Rather think of Groovyband Live! as a "Pa4x/SD9" like module added to your PSR. It won't play with Yamaha type styles, registrations or mfd just exactly like a module cannot as a "different" operating system is being used.

In fact it is much more like a module than a soft synth & hence you CANNOT compare with other soft synths at all.

Hi Rikki,

No ordinary Yamaha styles will play. As I stated, they've TOTALLY replaced Yamaha's style engine with software. The style file is 10 times smaller and only calls the different subroutines controlling the style used at the time. The output is handled like midi but portrayed like a ordinary style. This is how they've achieved i.e. many more effects, 4 lead voices each harmonizeble individually to a different harmony type simultaneously, 8 variations, 8 fills, 8 OTS's, 2 breaks, round robin drums like on the Genos, humanized played lead notes (similar to round robin drums but applied to what you play with the lead voices) that includes i.e. decent guitar strumming, style immediate reset, half bar fills, extremely advanced editing capability, intelligent transpose splitpoint that follows where you play your chords and lowers/raises the splitpoint accordingly - to name but a few of the improvements over the standard older Yamaha's.

And because it's software driven, the sky is the limit to whatever they choose to ad to it in future WITHOUT you having to change your arranger. And there is the user memory on the arranger itself for any newer voices that might be required as an later upgrade (I will not be surprised should they pursue this route in future). Heck, I've already added voices from the GHENOS pack to it & I'm only a novice...

Henni

#484871 - 12/22/19 01:38 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I guess my choices are narrowing:
Ghenos? Is this a separate engine also? If nothing improves my present setup, then-
2 Start over with improved styles and effects.
3.Buy an SX900

#484872 - 12/22/19 01:42 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I guess my choices are narrowing:
Ghenos? Is this a separate engine also? If nothing improves my present setup, then-
2 Start over with improved styles and effects.
3.Buy an SX900

Bernie congrats ok n your new Sx900...
Start from scratch you'll be surprised
at what you can do going forward with all the new stuff inside. ...

#484873 - 12/22/19 01:44 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Bernie9]
Henni Offline

Hi Bernie,

This is the choice that only you can make. For more info on adapting Groovyband Live! for your personal situation contact them direct.

My explanations are purely derived from the last three day's personal experience playing around with their software - they are the developers.

Henni

#484874 - 12/22/19 01:52 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

Deleted - no longer relevant as Bernie does not have a Genos as yet.

#484875 - 12/22/19 02:04 PM Re: vArranger VS Groovyband Differences? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Bernie doesn't have a Genos Henni?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online