Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#483941 - 12/12/19 02:41 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj
Cell phones have ruined the photography hobby..

Or maybe increased the popularity of taking photos. I read somewhere that the best camera you have is the one you have WITH YOU.

So true, but if I have my cell phone and my DSLR, my DSLR is better ...
THAT SAID, I CAN take a photo with my phone, but CANNOT make a phone call with my camera ... wink

#483942 - 12/12/19 02:44 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I was more active taking photos a few years ago but one of my interests was street photography see the link below. Some of these were taken in 2014 the day before Gary hosted the jam at his home. Many of them were at Baltimore's Inner Harbor others were from Galilee fishing port in Rhode Island, also College Hill home of Brown University. The couple looking at the map was taken at the site of the former World Trade Center where the fountains are now located. Each photo tells a story of some kind ya just gotta use your imagination.

https://zenfolio.page.link/D9sDC

You can see more here:
If you click on the main individual photos it will take you to more photos.

http://steveonphotos.com/

Edited by Stephenm52 (12/12/19 02:56 PM)

#483943 - 12/12/19 02:44 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Best things with cell phones you don't have to carry the bulk of a slr camera around the neck, lenses, etc..

Edited by Dnj (12/12/19 02:45 PM)

#483945 - 12/12/19 02:49 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Best things with cell phones you don't have to carry the bulk of a slr camera around the neck, lenses, etc..

True, and I've used mine many, many times ... I just don't expect to make a large print from a cell phone photo ...
And one reason I'm looking to sell this gear is to buy one lens that I can use for everything I will want to shoot ...

#483946 - 12/12/19 02:52 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

There's a saying, "the best camera is the one you have with you." 90% of the time it's my iPhone. Part of the fun when you get out shooting is the equipment, sort of like having different keyboards,PA systems, mics and related equipment.

I'm signed up Tuesday night for a Christmas photo walk in downtown Providence, it's sponsored by a local camera shop. Yes I'll have my iphone and will take shots with it, but the DSLRs will do the heavy lifting.

Edited by Stephenm52 (12/12/19 02:53 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling correction

#483947 - 12/12/19 03:04 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Steve, nice stuff (on your photo site). I've been sort of intrigued by mirrowless cameras for a while now but don't know if I want to shell out a grand (+) for a entry level body that won't even take any of my current lenses. What do you think? That much better than a DSLR? I'm not a serious photographer, more like a bored retiree with a modest interest in photography. At the moment I'm experimenting with 360 degree and in the past, 3D photography (no longer have a 3D TV, so gave that up but still have 2 expensive 3D cameras). But back to the mirrowless, what do you think?

chas

#483955 - 12/12/19 03:56 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Back when I was a freelance, outdoor writer, we were required to shoot our own photos. Consequently, during the mid 1970s, I installed a relatively large dark room in my basement, which later became my music storage room. After coming home from an assignment, I usually spent the next 3 to 5 hours developing film and printing photos, most black and white, because the majority of the columns were for newspapers and B&W print magazines. I also shot thousands of 35-mm slides, which had to be Kodachrome 64 ASA slides for the major publications. This was shipped out and took about a week to get the slides back, then sent them off to the publisher. I still have the slides and negatives, but some have faded out to the point where they are pretty much worthless.

When I switched to digital, the camera was about $200 and the resolution was 300 dpi. However, because the printed size of the photo in the magazines were usually pretty small, the resultant image was crisp enough to meet the standards required at the time. When I upgraded to a Sony Mavica CDR with a 20/1 optical zoom lens, I thought I died and went to heaven with a massive 2.1 mpi image. I shot a photo of our cat and you could count the hairs on the cat's whiskers. Everything was crisp and clear. I still use this camera for wildlife photos taken around the house, and it does a fantastic job after all these years.

Gary cool

Attachments
DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013_1.jpg

bedded-deer2.jpg

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483962 - 12/12/19 04:49 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj

Tony I mentioned armature habbiests...not pros..

Donny,

What's an armature habbiest? shocked

Jerryghr

#483963 - 12/12/19 04:54 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr
Originally Posted By Dnj

Tony I mentioned armature habbiests...not pros..

Donny,

What's an armature habbiest? shocked

Jerryghr

A hobbit with no arms? rotf2

#483965 - 12/12/19 04:57 PM Re: OOT: Photography Equipment ... [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Steve, nice stuff (on your photo site). I've been sort of intrigued by mirrowless cameras for a while now but don't know if I want to shell out a grand (+) for a entry level body that won't even take any of my current lenses. What do you think? That much better than a DSLR? I'm not a serious photographer, more like a bored retiree with a modest interest in photography. At the moment I'm experimenting with 360 degree and in the past, 3D photography (no longer have a 3D TV, so gave that up but still have 2 expensive 3D cameras). But back to the mirrowless, what do you think?

chas

Chas, thank you.

Ever since got the Fuji Xt1 I've used it more than my Canon 70d oor 5d Mark II that I got a steal of a deal on in an auction. With the Fuji XT1 I like it's lighter weight but more so than the lighter weight is the color right out of the camera. It needs very little post processing in Adobe Lightroom. I also like the physical controls to adjust Aperture, ISO and Speed. Fuji is now up to the XT3 is a huge improvement over the XT1. Yes if you're thinking it's like an arranger upgrade, when does it end? I'm staying with the XT1 it does what I need it to do. It's great for those street photography shots because there's no shutter noise. The Fuji XT1 is a very capable camera and you can probably pick up a used one for about $500 minus the lenses. The latest the XT3 will set a buyer back about $1799 with an 18-55 lens. I've not been closely following other manufacturers and their releases but from what I've read Sony is really making some great mirror less cameras. Below is a review by Ken Rockwell on the XT1. Good luck smile

https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-t1.htm

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online