SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#48358 - 08/05/03 01:06 AM Help with Chord Modify
waightkl Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
After getting the excellent "How Do I ..." book for my KN6500, from Walt Tenay publications I got inspired to have a go at arranging a backing track for "Eye of the Tiger". There is an insistent 16 beat ( "Dugga Dugga Dugga Dugga" ) running through this song on a single note played on a guitar to give the idea of someone running. "Ideal for the Performance Pads" I thought, nice and simple. I programmed up a 2 bar loop with these notes, but when I came to use them they change with the chord being played in the APC. Not what this song needs. OK, so thats normally whats wanted, so I had a fish through the "Chord Modify Change" and got hopelessly confused. More by luck than judgement I managed to set the function to :
Group - Special, Function - Through
which seems to keep the same note going irrespective of what chord is being played. I dont want to put this onto the seqeuncer as I want the flexibility that the performance pad gives. Does anyone out there know how this function works or can point me in the direction of a good book describing this function ?.

The other functions are arranged by group:

Group Function
MELODY In 7th G->Bb
Basic
In 7th C->Bb
Maj Incl F
etc.
CHORD Basic CEG
Rock CG
Tension CEGB
etc.
SPECIAL Keep near C
Through
Root Shift
Pad Solo

Can anyone give me a brief idea of what these do, so I can do some experimentation ?.

Thanks ever so

Keith

#48359 - 08/05/03 02:41 AM Re: Help with Chord Modify
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi,
I struggled with the same problem and couldn't find any explanation. I even asked it a long time ago at this site.
So seeing the recent threads about the interest of using the composer or making a new rythms with the composer maybe more want to know about these posibilities.

rgds.
Willem

#48360 - 08/05/03 02:09 PM Re: Help with Chord Modify
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I haven't found any info on these settings either. Sure would be handy to know exactly what they did.
I've actually been checking some of the existing styles to see what their settings are, in the hope of trying to make some sense of them.

From memory, I think the styles back in the earlier keyboards ( like kn2,3,5) were based on simple maj & min chords.

The kn7 now seems to allow additional notes within a style part ie I've found notes like a's & d's mixed into a style part, that's based on the key of c.

These settings are probably there, to make these additional notes work properly.

I ususually prefer to do a style part based on C.
I've used the Melody setting, with style parts like arpeggio's , and strings, flute etc , that have a melodic line.
Basic Setting: when only the notes of the chord are used , but when there are additional notes like an f , I try to find a Melody setting that includes the extra notes.

CHORDS setting I use for the chord parts. Again if its just the basic c maj or min chord I set it to basic, but if there are additional notes used , I just find the closest setting with those notes in mind, and use that.

The Special ones I haven't used yet, though Through , I imagine would mean it bypasses the transposition function.

Sorry, not much help, but maybe if you check out how the internal styles use these settings, you may get a bit of an idea. Probably just a case of experimenting.

best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online