SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#483525 - 12/10/19 11:48 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, so sorry to hear of your equipment failures, and I sincerely hope you are able to facilitate repairs at a reasonable cost.

I would be hard pressed to do this song in any format other than the one I recorded. As you said, it is a beautiful song and converting it to a jazz format would be quite difficult at best.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483526 - 12/10/19 11:53 AM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Sorry, I won't be doing it for several reasons. First, I have to sadly report that my main ax, my KeyB Duo Mk111, died on me about two weeks ago and although heartbroken, I have not yet made any effort to get it repaired (if it's even possible). It started with a low hum (like a ground lift hum) which I ignored for about a month and then suddenly while I was playing, it let out an ear-splitting blast (which I was sure had blown my EV Sx250 speakers). I yanked out every wire I could get my hands on while simultaneously trying to unplug everything. A line mixer, BK7m (my 'drum machine'), and my VP770 were also plugged in but I knew instinctively that it was the organ. I confirmed this later with earphones into the organ. Sorry to diverge like this but I feel like crying every time I think about it.

I have three other organs BUT, my Nord C2D (and 3300) is packed up in a storage closet where they've been since I stopped gigging; my Nord C1 is currently set up as a controller for my Legend Exp (which works very well, BTW). The problem is, that this setup doesn't even come close to my KeyB soundwise, even though the Legend Exp is supposed to have the same engine as the full-size Legend (which is supposed to be a replacement for and improvement on, the KeyB). That is pure BS. Unless I got a defective unit the Legend Exp was a big disappointment for me. Wow, and this is only reason 1 smile smile.

The other reason is that although it's a simple but beautiful song, I don't (personally) think it lends itself very well to Jazz. It's one of those melodies that's too 'pretty' to be 'messed' with. I went to YouTube to get some ideas on a jazz approach and listened to maybe 15-20 jazz or 'jazzed-up' versions and I didn't like ANY of them. Most featured Sax (one of my favorite instruments) and they just left me cold. This is definitely a 'vocal' piece. Loved the Pentonic version put up by Uncle Dave. All the Synthzone versions were as good or better than the professional and semi-professional versions I heard on YouTube. I thought Donny's performance was one of his best ever. I had heard it before and praised it back then. Randy did his usual flawless job and Tony and Gary gave very moving performances of this lovely tune.

Sorry for this endless post. Just didn't want to ignore or reject a request without giving a reason.

chas

chas ... THAT is a BUMMER my friend ... hope you get it fixed really soon ... in the meanwhile, what are you playing for your own enjoyment? ... and what about rehearsing with the group?

I fully understand your not wanting to try a Jazz version of this song ... I have a number of Christmas/Holiday Jazz compilations, and I must say not ALL songs lend themselves to a Jazz version ... wink

BUT, that being said, I wouldn't mind hearing some other 'Christmas' song played by you in a Jazz style, once you get an 'ax' worthy of us to hear ... smile

#483529 - 12/10/19 12:01 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
West Mayberry Dave, thanks for the listen ...

Gary ... very well done ... I was actually waiting for your post as I remembered it from prior years ...

#483534 - 12/10/19 12:11 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Tony. I so wish I could sing again, but as the lung problem continues to worsen, my time at the mic is very limited these days. I hope to try one after my breathing treatments this evening. Might be able to croak out an off the wall Christmas tune.

Thanks again, old friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483536 - 12/10/19 12:24 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
So far I haven’t covered the whole conversation; but I want to say that I’m impressed with the performance; thank you!

#483540 - 12/10/19 12:33 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Kabinopus for the listen.

#483549 - 12/10/19 12:58 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas, just pick up the phone and order a new one! smile
I'll try to find a semi-decent recording of me doing this song. I love the song but I feel I don't do it justice.

#483582 - 12/10/19 05:36 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sequenced and edited on G70... played and recorded on E-A7.

https://app.box.com/s/kk1txqlihi6wptc9qyw9iphio904ahe6

#483583 - 12/10/19 05:46 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: tony mads usa]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Now that sound great Fran. My kind of music. Love synth sounds.

Edited by FransN (12/10/19 06:36 PM)

#483596 - 12/10/19 08:17 PM Re: At Donny's (Dnj) request ... [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Chas, just pick up the phone and order a new one! smile

I wish it were that simple. I'd gladly pay for an exact duplicate but that's no longer possible as it's been replaced by the Legend (distributed and supported by Viscount). My experience with the Legend Exp (which 'they' claim has the same 'engine' as the console and is a replacement/upgrade to the Mk111) makes me unwilling to buy a Legend until I'm able to play one for myself. My problem is that I have no idea who can or will service it. I'll start putting out feelers tomorrow. Best scenario; if a local tech could talk to KeyB (Italy) and fix it locally (it ain't exactly lightweight smile ).

As to Tony's question, " what are you playing for your own enjoyment? ... and what about rehearsing with the group? ". I have plenty of keyboards to keep me entertained; Crumar SEVEN (Rhodes clone), Studiologic NC2x (utility keyboard), Fantom G7 (not the new one but still a TOTL WS), 3 controller KB's for VST's and modules (49//61/76), Triton, Motif ES, PA1x pro, Tyros 2, BK7m, VP770, Nord C1/Legend Exp, and a host of other modules, voice processors, fx processors, and outboard gear. Since I don't use some of them very frequently, my main problem is remembering how to operate them all. Old age is not helping.

As for rehearsing, I have a rehearsal room separate from my studio which has room to set up drums and accommodate more musicians. That's where my organ (KeyB) resides, along with my VP770 and BK7m. So far since the organ fail, it's only been Bob (guitar) and Cordell (sax) so we just play in the studio. We play a lot of 'Grover Washington' so I mostly play the SEVEN (although I'm no Richard Tee smile ). Gotta' get off my butt and get my sweetie fixed. Sad, sad, sad.

chas

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online